Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
why is eveyone so sensitive
to add to the shit threads about people complaining about jokes and words on a game based around fart jokes and murder, most of these reasons these words are bad are not for "oh that word is bad dont say that" (mostly not on the aspergers thread, more on the "banning gay" thread), but on the "omg you broke the "dont be a dick" rule". that pisses me off, because people arent mad that they are making fun of certain people, they are mad because the word broke a set of rules. i might (and probably will) be called a dickhead for saying this, but you have to realize that you are on the internet, and you will sometimes see things you dont like. im not saying that goon should start letting everyone shout slurs at eachother, but the "dont be a dick" rule is basically "use your common sense".in fact, i am happy that goon doesint allow all of that stupid shit, because anywhere else on the internet you rarely get a break from it. goon is the way it is because a bunch of kids straight off of 4chan didint come to the game and make rape jokes and shout racial slurs at people. i agree the spergetti joke is tasteless, but was it worth 8 pages of bickering to fight over? and with the word "gay" in vox, i am very sure gay is banned from the ai vox, so no abusing there, and the admins USUALLY know not to be dicks anyway, so i dont see the problem behind that either. i can assume most of us that found this game and arent banned from it know and uphold the "dont be a dick" rule, and have common sense and are respectful to one another. if we flip out over every stupid thing we see, this game will be the equivalent to the oldschool runescape word filter, and nobody wants that. the current chat rules are nice, because it makes some people (including me) to stop and think about what they are actually typing, because i can admit that i am a fairly vulgar person, so goon is a nice break from the bad-assery of my normal day cool

tl;dr: goon is not a safe space, be happy goonstation has the rules it has, we need to learn how to grow up and play nice

man i fucking hate writing but you guys made me so mad, look what you made me do
virtue signalling

it's all one big contest to be the most progressive and tolerant person ever

Theme song for those past two threads. I look for any excuse to post this amazing remix and this as good of a chance than any to do just that. By the way this is a joke.

This has all been incredibly silly. When will it all end?
Paragraphs please. My eyes just told me to fuck off.

I like goonstation the way it is. It's shielded from the internet, but not reality.

Auto-formatter shaves eyes Wrote:To add to the shit threads about people complaining about jokes and words on a game based around fart jokes and murder, most of these reasons these words are bad are not for "oh that word is bad don't say that" (mostly not on the aspergers thread, more on the "banning gay" thread), but on the "OMG you broke the "don't be a dick" rule". That pisses me off, because people aren't mad that they are making fun of certain people, they are mad because the word broke a set of rules.

I might (and probably will) be called a dickhead for saying this, but you have to realize that you are on the internet, and you will sometimes see things you don't like. Im not saying that goon should start letting everyone shout slurs at eachother, but the "don't be a dick" rule is basically "use your common sense".

In fact, I am happy that goon doesn't allow all of that stupid shit, because anywhere else on the internet you rarely get a break from it. Goon is the way it is because a bunch of kids straight off of 4chan didn't come to the game and make rape jokes and shout racial slurs at people. I agree the spergetti joke is tasteless, but was it worth 8 pages of bickering to fight over? And with the word "gay" in VOX, I am very sure gay is banned from the AI VOX, so no abusing there, and the admins usually know not to be dicks anyway, so I don't see the problem behind that either.

I can assume most of us that found this game and aren't banned from it know and uphold the "don't be a dick" rule, and have common sense and are respectful to one another. If we flip out over every stupid thing we see, this game will be the equivalent to the oldschool runescape word filter, and nobody wants that. The current chat rules are nice, because it makes some people (including me) to stop and think about what they are actually typing, because I can admit that I am a fairly vulgar person, so goon is a nice break from the bad-assery of my normal day.
Thanks vitatroll

Edit:

Okay, best I can tell is that you're making a complaint about two other threads which may have been better said in those threads. I'm not seeing anything else particularly worth commenting on.
(11-19-2016, 02:13 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Okay, best I can tell is that you're making a complaint about two other threads which may have been better said in those threads. I'm not seeing anything else particularly worth commenting on.

This thread will probably end up getting merged with one of the threads
I wouldn't really describe the assburger thread as a "bickering fight".
(11-19-2016, 02:13 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Thanks vitatroll

Edit:

Okay, best I can tell is that you're making a complaint about two other threads which may have been better said in those threads. I'm not seeing anything else particularly worth commenting on.

there was this 

https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=3682

i was about to say "a couple months ago there was this" but then i noticed the post date  oh fuck no!
(11-19-2016, 02:54 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: snip

Idk if we should be dredging up two year old crap because I doubt that this thread had anything to do with it

That said, I'm really proud of us for being able to talk about this stuff, now, without it devolving into an utter shit heap like those older threads did.

A lot can change in a couple years.
Here's my take on it:

If people are willing to talk about [X] for 8 pages, then that means people have 8 pages worth of feelings over [X] that they would like to discuss. You may disagree that [X] is worth 8 pages of discussion, but that doesn't change the way other people feel about it.

We lose nothing by having the community discuss them - it helps people understand each other, and establishes a track record of the admins listening to players on such matters. Are you not personally offended by [X]? Do you not feel like [X] is worth making a fuss over? That's an opinion you can freely raise in said discussions. It does no one any good, however, to use said opinion to shutdown any such discussions before they occur. If you don't have a strong opinion about the subject one way or the other, you're free to sit out of said discussions.

Also to those complaining about people trying to score SJW points, have you actually read the threads in question? 80% of the thread is people going 'I'm not offended' and the remaining 20% is people going 'I'm not personally offended, but..." Assuming that people are taking their position simply to score imaginary internet points and not because they're providing their honest opinion on an issue that was brought up adds nothing to the conversation and merely devalues everyone who participates in it, including yourselves. If you want others to take your arguments in good faith, you have to be willing to extend that same courtesy to them.
(11-18-2016, 10:04 PM)zcamperz Wrote: man i fucking hate writing but you guys made me so mad, look what you made me do

Quote:why is everyone so sensitive
Two way-street though.
Some people get really upset anything vaguely resembling a slur (you PINEAPPLE,) and some people get really upset over the percieved censorship of elements like that.

Both ways I think it's fair enough, it's when either side decides to kick and flail their way down instead of trying to discuss it. Discussing it is how points are raised, and when points are raised more points are raised and people start to dwell on the subject and think for themselves, and how their own worldviews affect their perception and approach to something like possibly sexist implications in a movie or literal burgers made of ass cheeks.

I feel like I'm just reiterating stuff at this point, though, so I'll end off by saying that if you have thoughts on those subjects, why not talk about them in the relevant threads? It'll do WAY more for you to try making a case there than it does making a thread complaining about the fact that those threads exist at all in the first place.
i'll make space great again

it'll be poll of "EVERYTHING IS OK AS IT IS" and "THIS SPACE NEEDS TO BE SAFER"
then we tell everyone to shut up for 6 months and hopefully by then someone makes a real point that isn't completely based on their own feelings
Quote:someone makes a real point

Quote:based on their own feelings

Hate to break the news to you, but these concepts aren't mutually exclusive.

Especially when the topic IS feelings
zcamperz is just jealous because, as a pumpkin, he only has one face and cannot emotion.
now that i read this clusterfuck useless post i wrote, i want to reiterate some things. i am mad that people are mostly mad because the thing breaks the rules, and less cares about that it is a bad word.

now i dont really care wether or not people get made fun of, but it just makes no sense that everyone has to gang up on something and rule-lawyer the fuck out of it just because a few people said it was bad. like i have said before, goon could be ALOT worse, and we would all regret it if it didint have the semi-loose rules it has, which is basically to play nice

when i was writing the original post i didint mean to sound like i was a gay rights activist and i was mad because no one cared that calling gay people gay was bad, i was just amazed that we are so silly that we had to argue about the context of a word strictly because it broke the rules