Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
changing how huge explosions work
if there's a huge explosion (nuke, canbomb) its really weird with how it works

like if a nuke or canbomb goes off it explodes but then the explosion is delayed

by this i mean it takes a while for the explosion to disperse outward. a canbomb can go off and a few minutes later everything around you is suddenly destroyed which admittedly can result in funny scenarios where you're trying to outrun an explosion

would there be a way to make it so it happens all at once
So whats the suggestion?

Your just stating how they work

Edit Im guessing this is suggesting to remove this
but as birb said its most likely due to lag also I like the fact when it happens I hear it approaching so i can scream into the radio before being blown to bits
I think it is a lag thing. Having explosions occur instantly would result in pings in the ten thousands at best and crash the server at worst.
Explosions work the way they do so that an explosion can happen and the game doesn't freeze for all players for several minutes like they used to.

It's not ideal, but it's better than the alternative
First time I set off a canbomb it broke atmos, I think. This wasn't terribly uncommon, and that was just one canbomb. It's super easy to crank out 8+ if you've already got things set up.

The best we had it was right after that lag fix. Sure, it'd be nice if everything was instant. It's just, eh... byond.
I'd just like huge explosions to stop leaving behind a charred skeleton of rods and broken glass from the bits of station it totalled.

Also isn't it possible to dodge the shockwave of really big explosions and run *into* the blast without a scratch?
(11-17-2016, 09:58 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I'd just like huge explosions to stop leaving behind a charred skeleton of rods and broken glass from the bits of station it totalled.

Also isn't it possible to dodge the shockwave of really big explosions and run *into* the blast without a scratch?

I did once. During ASS DAY when medbay exploded. Ran through the wave with no problem.
running from explosions is cool and exciting though. yes, it would be nicer if they were quicker, but sometimes we must accept things and do our best to live within our humble means

if youre concerned about potential victims escaping too easily, maybe you could request a stunning wave precede the destructive wave
(11-18-2016, 03:32 AM)misto Wrote: if youre concerned about potential victims escaping too easily, maybe you could request a stunning wave precede the destructive wave
that would actually be a really good idea
(11-18-2016, 03:32 AM)misto Wrote: if youre concerned about potential victims escaping too easily, maybe you could request a stunning wave precede the destructive wave

I think is another case of BYOND and lag. Seems deleting a shit ton of objects is alot more resource intensive than producing a shockwave. Perhaps it could be tinkered with that it procedes the destructive wave, but I doubt it.

It helps to think of massive explosions as "slo-mo" action scenes, even though it's just lag. It also seems to add an element of balance in that people can outrun the
impending blastwave, given that a canbomb is the ultimate show of force.

That said, fixing lag should reduce the effects of this. I wouldn't even mind if the "slo-mo" became one of those features, where the game slows down by a fraction to make up for the mass deletion, it's not the slow motion that's the problem (i'd go as far as argue it adds to the drama), it's the game freezing and/or stuttering due to lag spikes. That's what gets you fucking killed.

tl;dr: Lag spikes = bad. Slow motion = Necessary bad, but kind of good?
(11-17-2016, 08:43 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: The best we had it was right after that lag fix. Sure, it'd be nice if everything was instant. It's just, eh... byond.

yeah. nobody had any idea what happened Banging head against the wall Argh!
(11-18-2016, 02:56 AM)medsal15 Wrote:
(11-17-2016, 09:58 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I'd just like huge explosions to stop leaving behind a charred skeleton of rods and broken glass from the bits of station it totalled.

I did once. During ASS DAY when medbay exploded. Ran through the wave with no problem.

Just want to add I made that bomb and I am very dissapointed about that being able to happen.