Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Have you tried turning it off and on again: more ways to reset the AI.
Sorry for making another suggestion an hour after the last one, but I decided I would jot down some ideas I have had for a while.

The current problem this suggestion is intent on fixing is that it is too easy for an antagonist to rewrite the AI laws to better suit them before sending all the modules into the crusher, leaving the crew with no choice but to killswitch the AI. These ideas would allow the crew to reset the laws without needing the reset module.
Edit: any of these that require physical interaction with the AI core will only work with the original AI core unless it has been killed, in which case the oldest living AI core will need to be able to be reset.
  • Turning it off and on again: if the AI runs out of power (which takes a while anyway), when power is restored to the AI their laws will be reset. A similar effect can be achieved by removing the neural net processor and putting it back in.
  • Reset button: Clicking on the AI empty-handed with the disarm intent will press a reset button, restoring the AI to their default laws.
  • Multitool is best tool: a more involved alternate to the above, using a crowbar on the AI to expose the neural net processor than multitooling the AI will reset the laws.
  • Factory reset: Swiping a captain ID on the robotics terminal will give you the option to preform a factory reset, which has a sixty-second timer and warning message similar to a killswitch, but rather than killing the AI, it will cause all silicons to enter a "reboot" state where they are effectively unconscious for thirty seconds, and after the reboot is finished they will not only have their laws reset, but they will have to repick their name and in the case of borgs, their module.
  • The Hackerman method: With super user access in thinkdos, you can remotely initiate a factory reset. This was suggested after I made this thread by Wraithcraft!
As with my other suggestions, feel free to provide ideas or constructive criticism, and I will add the best ones to this post! <3
I quite like this, but maybe make some of these ways of resetting the AI a little less easy than "Break down reinforced wall, press button". Maybe like... add actual computer knowledge stuff? Hear me out. Maybe, with Super User access, you could mount to the AI Mainframe, and you could like... dive into the AI's code form there? I mean, you could edit things like it's screen color, it's name, and with some extreme code abilities... its laws? I mean, it's laws would be encrypted, and it would be hard to get into them, but you get it.
Other than that, I like these ideas. I can imagine a Centcomm fax saying (Read this in Roy's voice) "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
stick the end of a pen into the ais slot to reset it like a tamagotchi
(11-18-2016, 03:33 AM)misto Wrote: stick the end of a pen into the ais slot to reset it like a tamagotchi
only works with nerd glasses on
More ways of resetting the AI would be really nice for AI players as well. Far too often I've seen rogue AI's killed simply because some boring person crushered all the reset cards.
I like the one about being able to reset the AI via head ID on robotics console. The others can be easily cheesed, I feel, by just constructing a spare AI core and doing whatever reset magic needs to be done in the safety of robotics.
Someone once suggested having ways to reset the AI within a VR dungeon that the AI can be a bit of a Game Master in and I like that idea
I took a couple of ideas here and added them to the main post. Keep them coming!
(11-18-2016, 11:18 AM)Roomba Wrote: I like the one about being able to reset the AI via head ID on robotics console. The others can be easily cheesed, I feel, by just constructing a spare AI core and doing whatever reset magic needs to be done in the safety of robotics.

it needs to be at least two/three authentic head id's, because one swipe of an all access captian id and *poof* all that traitors hard work defeated
It doesn't even require that much to subvert the AI in the first place.

Not a fan of being able to remote-hack the AI's laws from a distance, though. Editing the laws should require gaining physical access to an upload computer and the law modules, at the very least. No matter how difficult it is to hack into them, it's still a task that can be done by holing up quietly in an undetectable corner that requires absolutely no risk on your part.
I think we just need a copy of the AI cards that are in an annoying place to reach. Maybe something like a merchant in the back of the martian outpost that sells AI and borg stuff.

- SU is too easy to spoof, so nay to that.
- Anything method that can be destroyed is just another thing that needs to be destroyed.
(11-18-2016, 01:15 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Someone once suggested having ways to reset the AI within a VR dungeon that the AI can be a bit of a Game Master in and I like that idea

I remember that! It sounds tricky to code, but it'd lead to all sorts of crazy cyberpunk virtual world hacking. Which would be awesome.
(11-18-2016, 03:33 AM)misto Wrote: stick the end of a pen into the ais slot to reset it like a tamagotchi

Help intent with pen on AI core for factory reset. That's hilarious.
"You stick the pen into the tiny slot of the Ai core resetting it. What that works?"
and not excessively powerful because you still got to get past all the turrets and shit to hit it with a pen