Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[FEATURE] Adding Nitrogen/Air to Gas Extractor
Not sure why this isn't a thing already. Use-case is to allow use of nitrogen canisters without too much fear of running out (currently not able to get more), and for the air canisters to be used to pressurise rooms (currently the only renewable way is with O2 tanks, which tends to be a little too flammable).

The latter would be particularly useful in the case of new construction projects, as grabbing the limited number of ones dotted about is a bit irritating if they're needed after hull breaches.

To clarify, the gas extractor is the oft-unused fabricator found inside engineering gas storage on Destiny, and in QM and in the cold-loop area of engineering on Cogmap2.

Effect(s)
  • Adds a nitrogen canister to the gas extractor, costing 3 sturdy metal and 10 viscerite (it's squishy and organic and probably made of lots of nitrogen).
  • Adds a high-volume (four times standard volume) air canister to the gas extractor, costing 3 sturdy metal, 10 molitz, and 30 viscerite.
  • BONUS: Fixes the materials required for O2 canisters to actually require molitz instead of any material.
  • BONUS: Fixes the materials required for CO2 canisters to actually require char instead of any material.
Testing
  • I tested on my local build (my changes on top of the goonstation-2016-byond510 branch) and it seems fine.
  • Can produce nitrogen canister for listed materials: yes
  • Can produce high-volume air canister for listed materials: yes
  • O2 canister requires correct materials: yes
  • CO2 canister requires correct materials: unknown (unable to test as char clumps aren't a thing in the released code)
Code
Notes / Comments / Questions
  • Thoughts on adding N2O to the hidden recipes list? Recipe would probably be sturdy metal, viscerite, molitz, mauxite ("iron"), and maybe ice (which would have to be added as a usable material, I believe). I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, as I've never seen N2O abused due to lack of ready availability. Heck, the only time I see it used at all is if an explosion nearby happens to rupture the tank in the armory.
On the Destiny there is an atmospherics room, with reserve tanks of (probably) infinite gas which can be used to fill canisters. This could probably be added to Cogmap2 sometime, but it'd be abused so much due to the infinite plasma.
(11-15-2016, 08:14 AM)aft2001 Wrote: On the Destiny there is an atmospherics room, with reserve tanks of (probably) infinite gas which can be used to fill canisters. This could probably be added to Cogmap2 sometime, but it'd be abused so much due to the infinite plasma.

Not infinite. The have about 2 cans worth
(11-15-2016, 08:45 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Not infinite. The have about 2 cans worth
  • The pressure tanks have a volume of 1,620 litres and are filled to 50 atmospheres.
  • Regular canisters (not the high-volume air ones) have a volume of 1,000 litres and are filled to 45 atmospheres.
  • The high-volume air canisters have a volume of 1,000 litres and are filled to 180 atmospheres (the volume of the actual canister is the same, it just has four times as much air stuffed in, so really should be called "high-pressure" rather than "high-volume")
This works out as the pressure tanks having 81,000 (whatever units, can't be bothered, the point is its comparable to "amount"), regular canisters having 45,000, and high-volume air canisters having 180,000.

So yep, the pressure tanks have a touch under twice as much as regular canisters. Definitely not actually infinite, and also not virtually infinite on long rounds on LLJK1 (especially when an engineer early in the shift has wasted all of your plasma/whatever and caused an engine explosion that you've had to fix and then need gases to refill).