Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Implants and artificial body parts
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Research_items

when i saw this i knew we need this! Roboticist will actually have somethin to do!
(mechanic too i guess). First thing we need is... tool arm!
      But the tool arm should be customizable! That way instead of having a tool arm that has just the basic tools, we could customize the arm to suit the needs of a user (example surgeon needs medical tools, roboticists needs basic and medical tools, engineers need all worktools, security...well their sec tools).
      For example roboticist could fabricate the arm, but customization should be done by a mechanic (basically adding items/modules (probably like PDA modules, just where each module is one item, or module has to have programs in it,where each program is a tool, which is done by mechanic anyway).
      Another way to do it could be with slots like in belts, where normal items are inserted (example basic tools), which would be even more useful, cause anythin that fits in a belt can be fitted in the arm (so imagine custom tools like lets say uqil wrench...good for work and "wrenching" the traitor on the head)
     The arm would be insulated naturally of course, downsides could be that its a light arm, so its frail, cannot break cuffs, thus while having it saves inventory space, reduces combat effectivness...
     Maybe even specific upgrade where arm is armoured (normal arm or reinforced arm) but at the cost of inventory space (where only 2-3 slots are availabe so this would be most useful for combat but not so for general purpose, cause in combat ya need like what... a hand or a blade or a blaster... while in general use ya basically need to replace your belt/bag)

Another thing we should have are legs which act like magboots on demand, with maybe an upgrade where they act like rocket shoes (where usage is limited by a cooldown, or until the legs refill themselves with air from enviroment)

Gas mask implant, now this would be an interestin one, as it would replace the nose and mouth with a gas mask with filters but has a permanent gas mask on his face... so easy to use the air tanks but cant eat/drink smoke or take pills, with a limited protection from toxins in the air! (also maybe can last without air slightly longer). So whoever has this would have to use injections to be able to consume anythin (example to eat syringe with nutrients can be used). Could be upgraded to protect eyes from welding without hindering vission (so like a normal welding mask also protects a bit from heat and physical damage). Downside would be nothing worn on face can be used (goggles,masks etc), and if equipment is damaged replacement by surgery is needed..if this implant is damaged/destroyed the user will have trouble breathing and seeing, will have a mangled face as if someone poured acid onto them.

Welding hand implant this implant would give the user only the welding tools (basically just the reinforced tool arm, with a welding mask and a welder with a larger capacity), either completely removing the ability to use that hand normally or be able to switch between welder and hand. Durability of a normal arm, just with an integrated welding mask and a large capacity welder (so basically if ya use the arm for welding ya dont need eye protection, but if ya use a normal welder it will burn yer eyes as normally). Cheapo useful implant for engineers mostly, altho the welder could be a laser or plasma so no fuel is needed?

I wanna hear yer thoughts
This seems like a pretty good idea. Inter-department projects and things are always good. Maybe the tool arm can't actually pick up stuff like a cyborg. Also, reinforced bones or limbs, adding some built in armor while not actually replacing anything, just bones and maybe skin. So, your scalp and a part of your skull would be replaced with a Bohrum plating with a smooth chrome finish, your muscles replaced with hydraulic motors with 10x the strength, but half the speed.
This is some cyberpunk shit, and I'm actually impressed by it. Also, as a side note, thank you so much for putting in those RETURNs and TABs. I know we've had discussions about formatting before, and I'm glad to see you learned from it.

Anyways, the ideas!

The idea of having a breathmask that is irremovable so you need other methods of nutrition is super metal. There'd need to be some kind of rare thing about it, though, otherwise you could skullclamp someone and let them starve. The idea of sacrificing ease of inventory swaps in return for improved senses tickles my inner sci-fi nerd mightily, though.

The idea of an arm that replaces your toolbelt is a decent idea that needs balancing (maybe less storage or small items only, I can't imagine having a stack of metal sheets in your arm).
+1. All over it. We need more horrifying things to do to spacemen with robotics and the like.
Also more cyberorgans! (surgery would have to be tweaked or remade to allow this)
   Cyberlungs filter out toxins and bad stuff from the air you breath in (there still has to be air to breath...) except N20 (unless emagged), a lot like hyposprays.
   Cyberkidneys and livers filter out toxins in the blood

Of course, electric shock would disable these. Disabled cyberlungs would cause suffocation damage until they restart, and disabled cyberkidneys and cyberlivers will cause toxin damage to accumulate until they restart.

Also maybe a machine that moves one's consciousness into a cyberbrain, which won't rot or suffer from insanity or brain damage. However electric shock would IMMEDIATELY knock someone out for a while until it restarts.
YES! I wish to create more horrible abominations of flesh and steel!
(11-15-2016, 03:01 PM)DreamCarver Wrote: This is some cyberpunk shit, and I'm actually impressed by it. Also, as a side note, thank you so much for putting in those RETURNs and TABs. I know we've had discussions about formatting before, and I'm glad to see you learned from it.

Anyways, the ideas!

The idea of having a breathmask that is irremovable so you need other methods of nutrition is super metal. There'd need to be some kind of rare thing about it, though, otherwise you could skullclamp someone and let them starve. The idea of sacrificing ease of inventory swaps in return for improved senses tickles my inner sci-fi nerd mightily, though.

The idea of an arm that replaces your toolbelt is a decent idea that needs balancing (maybe less storage or small items only, I can't imagine having a stack of metal sheets in your arm).

I actually used other posts as a reference to organize my posts better.

the mask implant would have to be done surgically, (so its not like groody gizmo which litterally just clamps on) altho ya just gave me a really interesting idea of clamp-on stuff (like aditional arms, got that idea from the robe priests wear).

Like i said before arms would only hold small-medium items (all tools for example) and without reinforcements be weak (so sacrifificing yer arm to get a frail arm with tools, or a reinforced arm which can hold only 2 more things)

I think some simpler mods (like specialized welding arm) could be clamp on type (probably first activated, then clicked on desired body part), where the receiver would suffer brute damage, and some bleeding.
        This would enable people to have some simpler mods without surgical knowledge, and without having to be dead drunk to do some self-surgery for simpler things. Would reduce deathrates too.

I also thought of an eye-replacer, basically a tube-like device which allows the user to replace (or just amputate if device is empty) eyes. For amputation, device is not loaded with a replacement eye, but for replacement, it is loaded with one eye of any kind. It would take 10 seconds for "surgery" to happen, so this would prevent griefing with it (if the patient moves the surgery is canceled, but i guess for the lolz it could be emaged...imagine the traitor with a mission to steal captains eyes). This would be a nice tool for roboticists, not to mention any goof could fix/replace their eyes this way (oh the times i had my eyes burned by flashes and welders and no one bothered to fix me). The device would have a drawback of causing brute damage and bleeding (well it is ripping out an eye and showing a new one in). I think this tool should be crafted, (mostlikely mechanics or roboticists job, or both) rather than in the fabricator.
(11-20-2016, 02:47 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 03:01 PM)DreamCarver Wrote: -snip-

-snip-

Have the tool be cobbled together out random shit, a pipe, some wire and a kitchen spoon and give it a random chance to misfire and remove one other random organ from whoever is using it.

Imagine trying to remove someones eye and then having the device misfire and remove your skull, or pull out one of your lungs.

Or in extremely rare cases have it spontaneously generate a crate containing all of your internal organs
(11-20-2016, 02:47 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote:          I also thought of an eye-replacer, basically a tube-like device which allows the user to replace (or just amputate if device is empty) eyes...

Eye-surgery is already incredibly straightforward (probably too much so, to be honest). There really isn't a need to speed it up.

I'm also against anything that gives doctors/roboticists less things to do (why would anyone ever do normal eye-surgery again if they could just use this then apply a bit of styptic?).
(11-20-2016, 04:24 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 02:47 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 03:01 PM)DreamCarver Wrote: -snip-

-snip-

Have the tool be cobbled together out random shit, a pipe, some wire and a kitchen spoon and give it a random chance to misfire and remove one other random organ from whoever is using it.

Imagine trying to remove someones eye and then having the device misfire and remove your skull, or pull out one of your lungs.

Or in extremely rare cases have it spontaneously generate a crate containing all of your internal organs

While that would be hilarious i think it would be easyer to code a failure in a form of more brute dmg, eye loss (both the one in skull and the replacement) massive bleeding... the risky one could be made from pipe frame, enucleation spoon, and some wire...

(11-20-2016, 04:27 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 02:47 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote:          I also thought of an eye-replacer, basically a tube-like device which allows the user to replace (or just amputate if device is empty) eyes...

Eye-surgery is already incredibly straightforward (probably too much so, to be honest). There really isn't a need to speed it up.

I'm also against anything that gives doctors/roboticists less things to do (why would anyone ever do normal eye-surgery again if they could just use this then apply a bit of styptic?).

This is actually more for self-surgery, and damage wold be greater than from normal eye surgery, so it would take more than patching and bandages.
This is actually somethin that would add work to roboticist, since he could actually spend his time making more... We should have 2 versions of eye-replacer, one which is a one time use but safe, and the other jurry rigged which can be used without limit but is risky!

i rarely see a roboticist, and even less do i see one willing to do eye replacements! (or if he is he is a total anti-talent who cant follow simple instructions... i dont need to explain what a minor fuckup can do on a surgery table, and i mean things worse than death ahhaha)
       Roboticist has almoust 0 stuff to do, so at least he could spend his time crafting eye-replacers for crew to use... (i mean besides rare borgs and limb replacement (which any medic can do) a roboticist simply has nothin to do besides setting his fabricator to spam (clean)bots). Also who gonna replace eyes of the roboticist? Whenever i was one i would have to beg for entire rounds to get just one fuckin eye replaced, or try to do self-surgery while being drunk, which was usually rudely interrupted by security or medical staff! (or i died vomiting and falling every 2 secs preventing me of stopping my bloodloss)
(11-20-2016, 04:32 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: i dont need to explain what a minor fuckup can do on a surgery table, and i mean things worse than death ahhaha

Please explain
Anything that adds more R&D based equipment or items is more then 100% okay with me.
(11-20-2016, 05:56 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 04:32 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: i dont need to explain what a minor fuckup can do on a surgery table, and i mean things worse than death ahhaha

Please explain

The kind of fuckups where its easyer and faster to suicide and get cloned, than be fixed, ya know what i mean if yer experienced.
(11-20-2016, 06:56 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: The kind of fuckups where its easyer and faster to suicide and get cloned, than be fixed, ya know what i mean if yer experienced.

... I'm not convinced that's possible. I mean, if you're a newbie roboticist, sure, but you've got to learn somewhere.
(11-20-2016, 07:09 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 06:56 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: The kind of fuckups where its easyer and faster to suicide and get cloned, than be fixed, ya know what i mean if yer experienced.

... I'm not convinced that's possible. I mean, if you're a newbie roboticist, sure, but you've got to learn somewhere.

Gotta agree with Mordent. Once you get experienced in doctoring, there is nothing that can't be done quicker than a cloning cycle.