Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Convenient AI Conversation
I think it should be easier to converse through intercoms and to people in your inner sanctum, since right now its kind of a pain in the mainframe to set up on the fly.

Maybe it would help if the AI had a toggle button on the intercom window that, when active, lets you talk through it and any other active intercom by using a chat prefix. It would also let you hear through them regardless of what its set to. Kinda like setting it to 144.7, but without having to click a bunch of things every time you want to praise research's sweet canbombs without yelling it to the whole station.

As for talking to people in your Inner Sanctum, I know there's a way to turn off your radios so you can have a chat with the clown who wandered in there, but it is kind of tricky to balance that with telling the crew to stop slapping the crusher. For this, I think it'd be great to have a chat prefix that'd keep what you say local.

Unless of course there's already something that does this and I'm just dumb.
You can prefix your chat with :in to speak into an intercom next to you.

rip

oh also you could just prefix your chat with :2 (i think) to speak on 144.7 which you can set the coms to, that's the freq that the AI monitors by default.
(11-09-2016, 08:50 PM)zewaka Wrote: You can prefix your chat with :in to speak into an intercom next to you.

rip

oh also you could just prefix your chat with :2 (i think) to speak on 144.7 which you can set the coms to, that's the freq that the AI monitors by default.

At that point I think I would just send them a PDA message. Unless that also works for the AI, in which case never mind that's fantastic and actually a better idea.
Well, I'd love to be able to click on an intercom (or even a person) and change one of your 3 internal radios to that frequency or specific intercom/headset/radio, for DIRECT communication. Although, in the sense of the game, I think only intercoms could be directly connectable, since they're connected to the local APC and therefore the network on the ship/station. Also, machine speak should have a "ping" feature, which allows you to see whoever's connected to the machine speak network. But that's a maybe.

Also the PDA is a good option. However, if you want to speak to a number of people, then it becomes a bit of a problem. Also PDA messages are VERY easy to sniff out and read the contents of.
(11-10-2016, 07:23 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Well, I'd love to be able to click on an intercom (or even a person) and change one of your 3 internal radios to that frequency or specific intercom/headset/radio, for DIRECT communication.

You can already do this.
(11-10-2016, 08:13 AM)zewaka Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 07:23 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Well, I'd love to be able to click on an intercom (or even a person) and change one of your 3 internal radios to that frequency or specific intercom/headset/radio, for DIRECT communication.

You can already do this.

Yeah, but, I meant instantly connecting, and possibly to a single intercom, rather than tuning into a specific frequency after opening up your radio panels. Simply click on the intercom then click a button or two to tune in or turn on the microphone or both. Also communicating from your AI screens dotted around the station, by clicking on them and typing something into a pop-up that won't be said over any radio, just that one screen you clicked on.
(11-10-2016, 10:07 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Yeah, but, I meant instantly connecting, and possibly to a single intercom, rather than tuning into a specific frequency after opening up your radio panels. Simply click on the intercom then click a button or two to tune in or turn on the microphone or both. Also communicating from your AI screens dotted around the station, by clicking on them and typing something into a pop-up that won't be said over any radio, just that one screen you clicked on.

As a regular AI player I really like this idea; click on intercom, have "send to single intercom" option in addition to the usual ones, which pops up a text box that you can type a message into that is sent solely to that intercom. It should still be "said" over the intercom so anyone nearby should be able to hear you, though.

I've not looked at intercom code at all so have roughly zero idea how feasible this is. In my mind it should be fine, but I'm aware that "feasible if made properly" and "SS13" do not go hand in hand.
I also gotta say, remembering frequencies for different departments is kind of a pain. Maybe the AI should be able to use the department letter designations like how command sets work?

Just change the intercom you want to 144.7 and use :2 to talk, that's what I do. Or more commonly I set it to 144.7 and microphone on speaker off, for eavesdropping.