Poll: remove asperger's joke items?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes, remove them
26.63%
45 26.63%
no, leave them in
73.37%
124 73.37%
Total 169 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
should we remove asperger's jokes y/n
To reiterate my thoughts on everything so far:
==>"Sperging out:" Not okay, for obvious reasons. Though it sounds very silly.
==>Assburger and asspie: Keep. They're harmless plays on words that fit with the game's bizarre sense of humor.
==>Assburger and asspie's descriptions: Change. The jokes write themselves and they're wasted on "lolawkward." C'mon guys, this is the same game that wrote descriptions like "Jane Goodall is crying" for the monkeyplant.
==>Sperghetti: Maaaaaaaybe change? The joke isn't as punny as assburger and asspie are, and it's really close to being under the same umbrella as "sperging out."

In the case of sperghetti, I nominate running with the funny pronunciation interpretation and changing the name to sperghetter instead. Alternate names: sperghetto, spaghetto, slaghetti.

(11-15-2016, 12:34 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I've heard of moon pie but this is ridiculous
I chuckled and will vote this to be the new asspie description.
I mean, I never even got the wordplay behind assburger. Sperghetti I totally got, though, so maybe change that?

Or don't, I really don't care?

(11-15-2016, 01:38 PM)NesMettaur Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 12:34 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I've heard of moon pie but this is ridiculous
I chuckled and will vote this to be the new asspie description.
Seconded.
(11-15-2016, 01:38 PM)NesMettaur Wrote: In the case of sperghetti, I nominate running with the funny pronunciation interpretation and changing the name to sperghetter instead. Alternate names: sperghetto, spaghetto, slaghetti.
Have the name change each time you inspect the item, kinda like butt coins

Spoogootels, spagotti, spastagoli
(11-15-2016, 02:33 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 01:38 PM)NesMettaur Wrote: In the case of sperghetti, I nominate running with the funny pronunciation interpretation and changing the name to sperghetter instead. Alternate names: sperghetto, spaghetto, slaghetti.
Have the name change each time you inspect the item, kinda like butt coins

Spoogootels, spagotti, spastagoli

Oh god yes please do this.

And yeah I second everything NesMettaur said. Descriptions are currently a disappointing waste that force the asperger's joke, I'm ambivalent about names.
EDIT: Love the moon pie thing
Made me chuckle. I prefer that regardless of the change. Granted I never understood the 'awkward' description.
People with Aspberger's are generally socially awkward. Aspie is someone with aspberger. Asspie-aspie.

But honestly, it's a butt pie. There's SO many better jokes that could be used here. The comedy potential is higher than an 'awkward' joke.
I'd hope we can be consistent RE: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid...8#pid85568 stuff like this.

I'd hate to think that we need to scrub the existence of asperger's from the game as though we are some abominable freaks that can't even be mentioned, but keep references to everything else that "might be offensive to someone"
Heya, I too have aspergers.

To depict it as a negative thing to have aspergers is silly. Its a difference, not a disease. Its also healthy to be able to laugh at oneself.

Personally, I'd be offended if anyone feels the need to "protect" me from jokes at my expense. To censor aspergers references and/or humor actually makes the condition sound like its worth being upset that I have it/shines a (null)negative light upon it that really isn't there unless you put forth the effort into making it a negative thing.

Also, intent has to be measured when measuring whether or not something is bigoted/slanted against a group. None of the SS13 aspergers references are insulting or designed to be so.

To take the aspergers jokes in game as if they were hostile or negative would be akin to consoling a random person of color for not being white.
Doesn't feel right, does it?
This thread, in conclusion: If you're going to joke about it, at least make sure that the jokes are actually funny.
(11-20-2016, 06:28 PM)Boa Jacqu Wrote: To take the aspergers jokes in game as if they were hostile or negative would be akin to consoling a random person of color for not being white.
Doesn't feel right, does it?

It's also kinda wrong to tell people how to take jokes, and whether or not they should be offended. I hope this helps.

Some banjo thing somebody bought for some great re
i don't get what the big deal is
i know a guy whose cousin's roommate's old babysitter had a kid with aspergers
so i think i'm qualified to say it's not offensive
If anything has to stay, it's the assburger. It's a burger made from an ass.

The pasta, though? I like the idea that the name changes whenever you look at it: spoogetle, pastachioli, lazangerne, and so forth.

The pie, though? A fart tart. v
(11-27-2016, 03:38 PM)APARTHEID Wrote: The pie, though? A fart tart. v

A fart tart. I love it.

And yes, spaghetti constantly changing names is great. Pls add c:
(11-28-2016, 07:34 AM)aft2001 Wrote:
(11-27-2016, 03:38 PM)APARTHEID Wrote: The pie, though? A fart tart. v

A fart tart. I love it.

And yes, spaghetti constantly changing names is great. Pls add c:

agreed
I'm a little late to this conversation but I thought I'd put in my two cents. Keep in mind I'm relatively hard to offense and I like my humor harsh (including the nasty shit I say about myself). I think terms like "sperging" and "aspie" have really transcended their original meaning and no one really looks at them in that context anymore. Similar to how "hip hip hooray" has its origins in a chant for when people would joyfully roam the streets of England looking for jews to beat, I think intent means a lot, and most of these things are meant to just convey general derpiness in a person or concept, not in asp diagnosed people in general.