Poll: remove asperger's joke items?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes, remove them
26.63%
45 26.63%
no, leave them in
73.37%
124 73.37%
Total 169 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
should we remove asperger's jokes y/n
(11-10-2016, 01:44 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I want SS13 to be a little crude, somewhat rude, and maybe even the tiniest amount of lewd. I liked the hilarity clause. I like not having to worry too much about my word choices when I speak without the intent to do harm. We're all adult-ish here.

I don't mind ditching sperghetti. I honestly didn't notice it 'cause svede. I prefer asspie and assburger because it rolls off the tongue and, even if we change the names, they'll still be asspies and assburgers. The pun is built in. As for the description, well, you're technically eating ass so yeah, awkward is mild. Unless this is some new insult I didn't get when I was in school.

My argument is more that they're still terms that are frequently used as slurs, really. I have been hurt and have seen people hurt by people using those terms before.

(11-10-2016, 01:44 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I'm not so worried about buttpies or buttburgers honestly. I'm more worried about that slippery slope. How far do we go to protect people that aren't really insulted anyways? Get rid of all religious symbols? Remove all stereotypes like accents or genetic disorders? Force everybody to use gender neutral pronouns?

I think we just have to accept that some things are going to bother us, but so long as the overwhelming majority isn't seriously hurt then it's okay. There's always going to be that one guy who is offended by everything, after all. This isn't the game for them.

Regardless of it being a slippery slope argument which you already mentioned...

Religious symbols are generally not used as harmful slurs. Harmful genetic disorders are already being removed(afaik), but they also don't directly use slurs disparaging what it's references.

For accents there is a difference between harmful stereotypes and non-harmful stereotypes, I think. The swedish accent is one of those, an 'engineer scotty' scottish accent would be another one I'd think.

Generally while I'm okay with the descriptions poking fun at Aspergers, the names are again used as a slur which makes it unacceptable IMO. Even changing 'ass' to 'butt' would remove the slur.

Messages In This Thread
RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - by Kibin - 11-12-2016, 01:37 PM