Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tool for Engineering Borgs
In real life, I own a long metal fork, just a bent piece of metal, for the purpose of turning the hand-valves that I have in my family's irrigation/watering system, so that i don't have to lean over to turn them all.

It looks something like this --> []------C

I think that Engineering borgs should receive a tool (it'd literally just be a metal fork that slips between the spokes of the valves) that allow them to turn the valves in this manner.

Pros:
*Borgs could work Toxins and Engineering without human assistance

*Engineering Borgs would still be the only borg able to properly set up the engine (this used to be because it was the only one with a welder, now it'll be the only one with this new tool)

*It'd give borgs a reason to go Engineering over Construction

*Dead Engineers can be borged without compromising the ability of the station to be powered

Cons:
*Kindof a weird concept, I guess? Super low tech, not the kind of thing you'd expect a techno-borg to have

*Might have to replace another tool in the Engineering Borg's module

*Borgs would be able to do horrible things with the engine and toxins
A lot of borg already think the engine is dangerous and should be surrounded by walls. I cannot wait for the moment they can straight up shut off the valves to save me from being hurt by the big bad engine...
Clarks Wrote:A lot of borg already think the engine is dangerous and should be surrounded by walls. I cannot wait for the moment they can straight up shut off the valves to save me from being hurt by the big bad engine...
Clarks Wrote:A lot of borg already think the engine is dangerous and should be surrounded by walls. I cannot wait for the moment they can straight up shut off the valves to save me from being hurt by the big bad engine...
Oops, sorry guys for the double post

That is not a trait unique to Borgs, and I don't think it's relevant.

Also, closing all the valves would usually cause the engine to explode.
I fully support this idea, because I still remember being frustrated over being unable to set up the singularity on mushroom station as a borg because no one wanted to shove the damn plasma canisters in for me.

I also like it because this and the eventual ability to order extra canisters of gas would encourage people to fiddle with the engine a bit more, without punishing the rest of the crew with no power because the engineers have to wait for the fires to dissapate before they can fix the pipes, whereas a borg can shut the valves, then rush in and run over the flames with its treads and built in extinguisher.
Agree!
I agree with the idea, with the caveat that a fork that turns valves sounds kinda dumb.

Perhaps it should something motorized, like a drill that spins a screw on the valve, or a gear that turns the valve? I don't know.
This is a must, what's the point of having an engineer borg if they can't do anything engineering-type?
I'm seeing a lot of yeses here, and no noes. Does anyone want to try spiriting a tool? It'd probably just be two prongs on a cylindrical telescoping body that looks reasonably capable of rotation.
You people have no imagination. You need a tool that can go on a (possibly) murderous machine man, can be used to operate valves by turning them, and might lead to many, many hilarious deaths by explosion and/or burning. It obviously needs to look like this:

[Image: Assault_Dalek_Arm.jpg]
Oh, and also, when they click themselves with it, borgs should be able to tweak their own dongles. That's quite racist!

[Image: BorgArm_zpsc2d40726.png]
Borgs need more low-tech items with them sense when did nanotrasen purposely want us to have hi tech equipment. I mean they got rid of our magical back hole generator and replaced it with low tech semi broken station. No offense cogs.
They would easily give us piece of metal we could make for ourselves that would probably break in a few uses. Evil corporate bastards
The tool referred to here is called a Valve Key or a Curb Key, curb because of the use in homes to turn off the water to your house by turning off the valves at the curb.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:The tool referred to here is called a Valve Key or a Curb Key, curb because of the use in homes to turn off the water to your house by turning off the valves at the curb.
Yes, this "valve key", is exactly what I was talking about. No one ever told me the name, Heh.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:You people have no imagination. You need a tool that can go on a (possibly) murderous machine man, can be used to operate valves by turning them, and might lead to many, many hilarious deaths by explosion and/or burning. It obviously needs to look like this:

[Image: Assault_Dalek_Arm.jpg]

Give them the clamps.