Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Print Shop
Lightbulb 
This is inspired by Starbound's Sign Maker/E.A.S.E.L. (http://starbounder.org/Guide:Animated_Signs)

Printer/Printmaster would be a new job that would report to Quartermaster. He or she would get requests for signage from the rest of the crew and use the station's sign maker to produce new and exciting signs/posters/whatever. These may be artistic works, round-specific policies, safety notices, etc.

Implementing this would not be trivial (I am not familiar with BYOND). Seeing some of the UI's from other systems, I feel like a simple, pixel editor could be possible. I would not foresee signage being animated as Starbound has them, but who knows. 

Thoughts? Criticism? Input? Praise?
Sounds like fun. I could see myself wasting a round making a ton of these.
Oh wow another person that plays Starbound!

I'd love this. As the MD I'd plaster "NO FUCKING SMOKING" signs around the Medbay.

Maybe they could have MechComp compatibility, too! Lights and sounds and stuff. Simple animations, too.

Also, maybe the sign itself would be a simple sprite but once you clicked on it or inspected it from close enough, you'd see the details and stuff. And small non-LED/Neon lights could be implemented. Paper and posters.

Finally, I think the sign thing should just be in the QM's office, and be a part of the QM's job. Or possibly the HoP's or CE's job.
(11-04-2016, 07:16 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: Sounds like fun. I could see myself wasting a round making a ton of these.

As could I. This seems like one of those potentially very nice slice-of-lifey features.

Pixel editing is something I've wanted to do like, crayon drawings with for a while besides
(11-04-2016, 07:23 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Oh wow another person that plays Starbound!

Well, when you consider that one of the people who used to develop stuff for Goonstation moved on to work on Starbound, this isn't really surprising for here.
Remember the paint fiasco? Generated icons are incredibly expensive.
I want a giant blinking sign that says "SECRET BASE ->" next to my traitor lair yes please

In all seriousness, though, I can't imagine it would be easy to code... If it happened, I'd be very happy.
Not so much the code as it is the resources taken. Well, I think. You could offset objects from an anchor point, but they'd be small and numerous and lol if they generated light. You could also create and host something externally and push it to the object maybe? That doesn't really sound fun.

Granted I'm just making an ass of myself. I have no fucking clue how byond works.

:foxnews:
How about, some kind of news kiosks that are around the station.

Have a room, like the radio station or the bridge, where you can edit what the kiosks will say to generate news reports, and people can read them on examine. Maybe there's a scrolling text marquee above them that's also editable for quick headlines.

Actually, you could probably have multiple consoles in the radio room, bridge, or a media room that all have their own editable section of the new kiosk's total message.

Sorta like the different sections of a newspaper.
The printshop is a feasible idea and I'd like to implement it.
(11-08-2016, 09:27 AM)somepotato Wrote: The printshop is a feasible idea and I'd like to implement it.

oh hey heck neat cool dang!!!
keep us posted yo
Will do! Might be a bit because our arters have been a bit busy as of late, but I'll try to whip somethin up.
Please yell at me sometime to make a sprite for it, if you do end up gettin' it done.
To make it easy you could have a few generic sprites that don't have any actual meaning for custom signs, but on inspection it opens up a big window with the custom made pixel art that was designed at the printer. Also, the printer could print out premade signs, like "No smoking!" or Discount Dan advertisements. Also, I feel as though this will be HEAVILY spammed. I think that only the Heads should have access to this, to prevent Billy McStaff Assistant from spamming big flashing signs and arrows everywhere.
Preview:

[Image: 7TmRVIf.jpg]