Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Space Station 13 ... in 3D?
Shocked 
With all the ideas for remakes that have come and gone, I've always wondered why the developers never use this style of graphics:

[Image: 5ECoXOu.gif]

I'm no 3D artist (anyone who has any knowledge into it is probably cringing right now), but I decided to try some mock ups. 

[Image: pCFVpAK.png]

[Image: T47ew2C.png]

[Image: Dsb6PIC.png]

Some might say Voxel is lazy, but it's easy to make and means that you wouldn't have to completely redesign the game (artistically at least). You could even keep the top-down perspective, or go full first person with multiple floors and the like.

I used MagicaVoxel (found here: https://voxel.codeplex.com) to create the models, VoxelShop (found here: https://blackflux.com/node/11) to export them and Blender to create the screenshots. 

You can use my models for whatever you want but I'm not sure about the licensing surrounding them since they're designed off of SS13 sprites.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1t2shtk4qrm58d...D.zip?dl=0
probably because certain 2d things might look like poop in 3d and also be enormously complex to add true depth to
though we do have rotations for our current apparel and such
This looks good. But in my experience, the graphics don't even represent half of the code. Good luck with SS13 in 3D. It will take a long time.
My idea was just to use billboard sprites for players and things (or potentially minecraft esque body models).
This is what I got to with 5 minutes of work in my engine:
[Image: sBuIIw0.png]
This actually looksbetter than I thought. Excepted the locker.
Creating an environment that looks like ss13 has never been the problem. People tend to run into troubles getting an environment to act like SS13, though.

I honestly don't think it'd be too terrible if atmos was greatly simplified, but most would say that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Haha! Awesome. Simple and clean. I like it.
(10-26-2016, 02:27 AM)somepotato Wrote: My idea was just to use billboard sprites for players and things (or potentially minecraft esque body models).
This is what I got to with 5 minutes of work in my engine:

OH GOD, NOT THE ORANGE SEAMS!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!
(10-26-2016, 06:07 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Creating an environment that looks like ss13 has never been the problem. People tend to run into troubles getting an environment to act like SS13, though.

I honestly don't think it'd be too terrible if atmos was greatly simplified, but most would say that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I never got that line of thinking. I don't play this game because of it's in depth atmospherics simulation, and I doubt a lot of other people do.

For me, it's more about the interactions between the crew and different departments
nah part of the charm is the shitty 2d graphics. Reminds me of south park, or maybe terrance and phillip's show within the show. In a 3d ss13 you' have to aniate spacemen farting on eachother or stealing eachother's shoes and it probably wouldn't come out very well.
Whenever I think of 3D SS13, I'm always reminded of Garry's Mod. Honestly, I just imagine a 3D SS13 as an overengineered combination of trouble in terrorist town and darkrp, prepubescent administration and all.
(10-26-2016, 02:43 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I never got that line of thinking. I don't play this game because of it's in depth atmospherics simulation, and I doubt a lot of other people do.

For me, it's more about the interactions between the crew and different departments

I made basically the exact same post about a year ago. The essence of (goon)SS13 (for me) is player interaction in a chaotic environment with elements of whimsy... and gibs. Lots and lots of gibs. I'd miss (volumetric) fire, temperature, breathing, etc., but I don't need it.

If the attempt were made in 3d I'd rather it be trimetric or something. First person SS13 just feels off to me. It feels more for a game that tries to be realistic and possibly darker.

The best thing to do would be to ditch ss13 all together and just make something better. I think that's the conclusion most remakes come to.
Better?

We're all still here, year after year.
I cant think of other games with -this much- replay value.
(10-27-2016, 06:18 AM)Boa Jacque Wrote: Better?

We're all still here, year after year.
I cant think of other games with -this much- replay value.

It's because there aren't any, SS13 is a unique beast in that respect.

Well

Maybe Dwarf Fortress, but still
SS13 has a lot of replay value because its a sandbox. I don't think you guys understand simply how important atmospherics is to the game, without it it'd be a ton more boring