Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popecrunch - excessive badmin events
Admin: Popecrunch

Server: LLJK2

Date: several rounds recently

Synopsis: I have yet to play a complete round where Popecrunch was online that did not end with the station half-exploded, covered with bears or something of the sort. The man is completely incapable of sitting back and letting the round play out without going 'hey guys did you know I can spawn explosions' and leaving huge sections of the station airless. I don't play as often as some others do, so I might be a little off-base, but I've played enough rounds in it to consider it a general trend.

Sure, some people might go 'it's a Popecrunch round, what do you expect', but I don't have all that much time to spare for SS13, and waiting for an admin who seems to be remarkably active nowadays to go offline just for a little peace and quiet is a bit more effort than I can spare for this silly spaceman game.

Also, it might just be a general impression, but he seems to take things really, really personally, which is why I'm submitting this under a different account than usual. Given that the man will happily teleport you into a room filled with bears or eliminate the entire station wing you're standing in on a whim, it's a little difficult to tell.
Fair enough, I'll slow down on the fuckin' around.

edit to add: not sure where taking things personally came from, but w/e

full disclosure: in the time between this was posted and my seeing it and replying to it, I HAD blasted the mechanics lab apart, but that was because a mechanic had filled an entire fucking hallway with teleporters that led to a tiny room. The mechanic was grumped at later and advised not to do it again. Smoked some synthflesh in chem, and blew up the shuttle after round end.
Yeah, I'm usually really up for admin events, but in this case it kinda got a little stale after events round after round. I did like the few low intensity ones like the yeti in the brig, pretty cool.
Full disclosure: UltimateBreaker's temporary forumban has nothing to do with his post in this thread - in fact, I hadn't even seen it before I applied the tempban. He posted in an appeal thread he shouldn't have, and replied to the warning message in a shitty fashion:
UltimateBreaker Online
Banned
Threads: 1
5 minutes ago
To: popecrunch
Dear Popecrunch

You have received a warning from the staff of Goonstation Forums.
--
c'mon man stop eating shit
--

So lest anyone think this shining jewel was punished for posting in a complaint thread, he wasn't.
(10-24-2016, 08:17 AM)popecrunch Wrote: Full disclosure: UltimateBreaker's temporary forumban has nothing to do with his post in this thread - in fact, I hadn't even seen it before I applied the tempban. He posted in an appeal thread he shouldn't have, and replied to the warning message in a shitty fashion:
UltimateBreaker Online
Banned
Threads: 1
5 minutes ago
To: popecrunch
Dear Popecrunch

You have received a warning from the staff of Goonstation Forums.
--
c'mon man stop eating shit
--

So lest anyone think this shining jewel was punished for posting in a complaint thread, he wasn't.
I don't think anyone wants him back, to be honest.
Sure, but it is extremely important to me that it doesn't even LOOK like anyone gets punished or fucked with for posting or participating in a complaint thread. It took like ten seconds of effort for me to paste-n-post, and spares even the most paranoid person from going 'oh neat it's a TYRANNY OF LIES'
ooc: Popecrunch: Look, the infinite nitroglycerin exploded upon generation, so it clearly isn't me that's causing the lag.

OOC: Popecrunch: and i mean i guess if you want me to force-change your name to a my little pony reference and let the crew beat you for prizes, keep bitching i guess

This was the fifth or so round in the last couple of days that nearly broke the server because of Pope being Pope.

Players are usually banned for excessive lag-inducing, server-crashing experiments on highly populated rounds that amuse no one but themselves, incidentally.'

If the defense is 'but players enjoy it', please see above statement as to what happens to players who express their displeasure.
I personally haven't found things to be that bad. The excessive glitch gunning was pretty annoying but that stopped once Pope realized it was actually leaving bullets in people.

Then again I'm used to days long ago when adminbus rounds were wayyy worse.
(10-23-2016, 09:59 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: I did like the few low intensity ones like the yeti in the brig, pretty cool.

Ah that one was me. Apparently I do good events when I'm tipsy. space bear
I wish I could show you the server logs and what was going on on the zlevel where I was dicking around with nitro, because *no really it couldn't possibly have been what i was doing*.
1) What was lagging was the delqueue clogging. This means something was trying to remove a lot of things all at once. This seems like it would point at me, but:
2) THe nitro I was fucking with exploded on creation, removing items in a 2-3 tile radius and nothing else. For scale, my usual 'welp time to clear up my experiment' create-explosion value is 15K, and that clears out a few screens in all directions.
3) When the delqueue caught up and the lag lifted, there were no changes on the zlevel I was on that weren't already there - so my bullshit wasn't adding zillions of whatevers to the delqueue. If it HAD been me, then it would have changed from '2-3 tile radius gone' to 'oh, goodbye zlevel'.
4) Even if the lag relief was because the delqueue was killed and restarted, at least some (and by some, i mean several hundred, easily visible) of those deletions would have still been processed. Again, no change.
All of the above points to the conclusion that whatever clogged up the delqueue, it wasn't me. In fact, that's WHY i do most of my 'OOC Popecrunch: I wonder...' experiments on the centcom zlevel, because there's very rarely anything going on on that entire zlevel, so if it oopses, it minimizes the impact to players.
All sorts of weird things can cause the delqueue to come unhinged, I've personally seen it freak out and lag the server for ten minutes because someone opened the gate just before the crusher when people had been flushing things all round - causing an entire round's worth of trash to get crushed all at once. I get that I can't exactly show you logs and my screen from a couple days ago, but seriously this one wasn't me. I'm usually first to go 'oh holy shit i fucked that one up' when it IS my fault, so.

Also worth adding: BYOND's understanding of INF is... not great. Just before cranking the nitroglycerin to INF, i cranked it to just shy of inf by a couple powers of ten, and that only blew out half of one of the dummy shuttles. 'inf' nitro would have only been slightly more than that - and deleting the 'inf' nitro when it exploded on creation wouldn't have clogged delqueue by itself, because it's not like inf amount of nitro, it is 'one instance of nitro with amount=bignum'. It'd have the same server impact as eating an apple.

also also worth adding: in a different round, i was experimenting with mbc's floods to try and figure out why large floods paralyze people (answer: walking through floods progressively slows down your movement, and it's not that someone is paralyzed per se, but more that they are moving so slowly as to be effectively paralyzed. you still move, but if it takes an hour and a half to move one tile, you look paralyzed), and was quite happily surprised that 'oh shit oh SHIT it got loose, time to buildmode-paint a zillion drains all over the test area' and the associated 'several million units of liquid are hitting drains all at once' didn't lag anything at all.

edit 4: the secret of the ooze: i didn't holler at the guy for complaining about something i did. I hollered at the guy for complaining about what i did -> i and a couple others explained to him that what he was complaining about had nothing to do with me -> he continued bitching and hollering BAN POPE -> me and a couple others told him to can it because he was just being shitty at this point -> he kept at it -> my response. I don't have any problems with people complaining about my nonsense, I absolutely get that it's not everybody's cup of lukewarm urine, but when it escalates to allcaps shrieking in OOC about how I should be banned for something I had nothing to do with, that's a *bit* much.
I just wanna throw out there that you did go a little crazy for a while Pope but you also IME haven't done it in quite some time and to a certain extent it is what a lot of people expect and enjoy from you. I was there for a good chunk of your rounds last night and yeah, I basically knew what I was getting into playing a round where you felt like participating. Didn't seem like any lines were crossed to me.
Personally ive never had issues with badmin rounds be they endless or sparse, disruptive or nuanced.