Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expanding on the Janitor's Duties
When I say "mess", I refer to any sort of thing on the floor that doesn't belong there, but usually won't cause harm, such as dirt and vomit.

So, my favorite role in this beautifully violent game is the Janitor, which may seem odd seeing as how "useless" that they are. Well, they're not! In my opinion, they're vital to the continued sanity of the crew itself, as a dirty station will make people just... Not care.

So, the janitor has the responsibility of cleaning, but, on the more roleplay based servers, the station doesn't tend to get as dirty as it usually does, due to higher crew competence (still incompetent). This leaves the janitor with very little to do, and I personally hate not having anything to do, much more than being overwhelmed with a filthy station. To give the janitor more stuff to do, I created a list of additions and tweaks.

First things first, add new sources of mess. The main addition listed here will be a cleanliness system for crew and clothing. Everyone starts next to their bed in their crew quarters (For the NSS Destiny anyways), with their own bed (inspecting the bed will let you know whose it is) as well as locker that can only be opened with their ID. They also start with 2 sets of clothes, both with nametags built in. One set will start in their locker and the other will be on them. As time goes on, one's clothes and body will become more and more dirty, even if they don't really do much (They must be moving around and stuff to become dirty though. Sweat and stuff). However, certain things will make you and your clothes even dirtier, such as:
  • Cooking
  • Throwing up
  • Bleeding/being bled on
  • Working with machines (motor oil and grime)
  • Being around mess/falling into mess
  • Running a lot
  • Handling dirty things
  • Pissing yourself
  • Wearing filthy clothes/Being dirty (makes your clothes dirty)
  • Not wearing deodorant
There'd be more things to get you dirty, but this is my current list. If you are dirty, you can go take a shower to clean yourself. Washing your hands will ONLY clean your hands, as the dirtiness will be on different parts of your body, rather than just a percentage across your entire body. There are also downsides to being a lazy slob! Such as:
  • Slightly slowed movement
  • Chatlog constantly bugging you about filth
  • More likely to catch disease
  • Spreading filth everywhere, pissing off the Janitor
  • In roleplay people *should* avoid you.
  • Your sprite will be covered in god knows what
So, your clothes get dirty. Now what? The Janitor will help, of course! Simply leave your clothes on your bed, use your spare set, and if the Janitor hasn't died or fucked off into space, he'll go around and collect your clothes and wash them in the new laundromat. Now, if the Janitor HAS fucked off into space/died, the laundromat is up for public use. However, each use of each machine requires credits, with the exception of the Janitor who gets to operate them for free. Once your clothes are washed, they are put into a drier, then they are ironed and folded, then the janitor will put them into a cart and go around the crew quarters, neatly placing them onto their owner's bed, ready for use again.

Now, this would add a sizeable amount of content, and the lockers and laundromat would need space to exist. On the Destiny, the crew quarters hallway would need to be widened by 4 tiles to fit the lockers, or would need to be lengthened instead of widened. Also, there'd need to be a brand new laundromat somewhere. I'm thinking of that little area below escape which houses the second bathroom and little useless maintenance closet, since it's the only useless space available and it's close to the crew quarters. 

That was the main gist of this post, but, I have a few other additions to make the Janitor's life easier.
  • PDA alerts when a mess is detected (can be toggled)
  • Letting the mop bucket store trash bags and wet floor signs
  • Toggle feature on the Buff-R-Matic
  • A second set of galoshes
Credit to Frank_Stein for these ideas (they were in another janitor thread)
  • Push brooms that will sweep items in one direction (every item on one floor tile)
  • Vacuums that suck up any small items on the floor and put them into a bag which can be emptied. Also can suck up any ghosts, trapping them.
This would give the janitor lots more to do, and make people more inclined to yell at him/her for not doing their job. Also, if this ends up being far too much for one person to handle, a second slot for janitor could be opened up, or the janitor can announce that they may not focus on laundry for a while. I'd love to make Janitor less boring and more useful, while not being stressful. Also more mess means that the Buff-R-Matic becomes more useful, since it's only really used for super-messes.

Please, provide any criticisms you have for this! Also any ideas to build upon this or maybe remove some bits would be nice as well. Hopefully at least some of this will be added, if not a lot or all.
We already have a laundromat, it's right next to the crew quarters (it also functions as a bathroom). It has clothing makers, sinks, a thing of space cleaner, etc
I totally support the vacuum/push broom stuff. Also maybe an incinerator laser that is only for trash and critters unless emagged, a la Viscera Cleanup Detail (it could also fix bullet holes since i don't think anything fixes bullet holes!!)

BASICALLY THIS IS ALL COOL!!
(10-20-2016, 12:20 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: We already have a laundromat

Well, what I meant was a proper laundromat, with tables, ironing boards, washing machines, and driers. Also a uniform manufacturer. Also the Destiny doesn't actually have a laundromat.

Now, with the laser, that sounds a bit much, since you can always dump things in disposals. However, I would love a sort of "port" for the trash carts. You put them on top of the port, and you open it, and everything that's not a bulky item gets sucked in and put into disposals.

And yes, it'd be great to be able to fix up bullet holes. Maybe welders?
There appears to be a couple of threads regarding janitors in the Ideas section.
This is a pretty comprehensive list and I think much of it could integrate into the Motives system.
Welders fixing holes, ye
Trash cart port, also ye
Pretty major news regarding janitor!

Haine has added the option to toggle the Buff-R-Matic and checking how much stuff is in the holding tank! I'm one of the first players to test it out ingame, and it works perfectly. So, yay!
(10-20-2016, 03:10 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Pretty major news regarding janitor!

Haine has added the option to toggle the Buff-R-Matic and checking how much stuff is in the holding tank! I'm one of the first players to test it out ingame, and it works perfectly. So, yay!

I submitted a bug report a while ago that concerned those problems, and it's awesome that those have been fixed. The big thing I found was that materials in the buffer tank weren't reacting properly to heat, IE I filled the tank with weld fuel, and while I could set the fuel on the floor on fire, it didnt get into the tank and cause a giant buffer explosion.

Any progress on that?