Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Destiny: Random Events/Problems Thread
Exclamation 
Event variety on Destiny is lacking. Let's post some ideas here.

edit: We've been going off on a lot of tangents in this thread. I'd like to ask we temporarily suspend discussion of events. If you're not here to post an event, please don't post unless your contribution is pressing+relevant.

My ideas:

1) Micrometeoroid impact. A high velocity meteoroid impacts the ship with no warning, exposing a single random tile to space and damaging any people or objects on that tile as if by a pda bomb sized explosion. An alert let's the crew know odd the impact immediately after it occurs.

2) Emergency Supply Request. A nearby vessel requests emergency supplies, which can be any number of various items. If the crew can assemble the items in the allotted time and send them off with the appropriate crate tag via QM, the ship will send back a variety of rare materials, money, outfits, etc. In trade.

3) Weak EM Pulse. A weak EM Pulse knocks out power station wide until the emergency system restore activates several minutes later. System restore can be activated early if you drain power from the SMES.

4) Drone Attack. Similar to the old construction mode event, 2-5 (depending on population hostile CR drones arrive to try to make salvage of the station.

5) Space Hobo Invasion. Similar to the old construction mode event, a few random-named shitty bills with hostile rajaijah ai appear in maintenance
A thought just occured to me. Why don't we have random event cycles that call more than one event at once.

Imagine, a meteor storm hits but you can't get to the shield because the control rook has been filled with angry raving hobos. Or you try to go to pod bay to fight off a drone attack, but an ion storm has turned the AI into a useless door bolting box.

It'd make things more interesting because each event wouldn't be exactly the same every time, you wouldn't always know what to do
The meteor shield is nice but I wish it had some breaking point.

Maybe it could take a serious amount of energy to run and drain a significant amount when actually struck by a meteor?

Then meteor showers become a serious threat and less of a "eh, the shield can stay on until someone needs to leave or enter the ship" situation.

EVENT IDEAS

Monkey Revolt
Some form of radiation sweeps across the ship. What was that? Is everyone okay? Electronics are fine.. no one is hurt. Oh, my stars! The monkeys are attacking!
(Basically like an ion or radiation storm that while it's in effect the monkeys are aggressive)

Mars Attacks
Martian ship detected in our vicinity. All hands on deck. Martian soldiers begin warping in around the ship and attacking crew.
(I think Sundance was making thise nifty Martian ship sprites quite a while back. Could be a neat way to implement them)

That's all I've got for the time being. My brain no work good right now. No.
I like this. The Destiny is a bit calm and the crew USUALLY do their jobs, so station repairs will actually happen, so the round won't end due to a combination of disasters. Usually anyways.

Maybe asteroids could be even more devastating! For example, they wouldn't JUST be made of rock. There could be any sort of mineral in there! Or even pathogens or hostile critters. For example, an asteroid filled with plasmastone hits the Destiny and the sheer force of the explosion blasts through a part of the shield, causing severe damage in the affected area. Or, a small meteoroid with some weird alien bacterium hits the station, and the pathogens get into the station. It'd rapidly spread throughout the crew, and soon after the first person is infected the station announces that there's a Level X (X being the severity of said pathogen) unknown pathogen onboard the station, requiring mass quarantine and also Pathogen research could genuinely be useful for once!
wonk no
1.) bachelorette party

2.) one of crew's daughter's quinceañera

3.) off-ship company picnic

Lots of catering required for any of these.
Spectral Anomaly: Ectoplasmic Phenomena

Ghost players become temporarily visible. Space goes green for a 2 minutes. In this time, basic ghost mobs spawn in dark areas where there are no people.
Deorbital Macro-Emergency:

An incredibly severe ion storm passes through the ship, damaging the engine control and damaging engines. The Destiny will deorbit quickly if nothing is done, and the crew MUST prevent it from doing so. Everyone is given temporary tool storage access and many are required to help repair the Destiny's engine array. If nothing is done, the Destiny will fall into the gas giant's atmosphere, quickly burning up as fires occur everywhere and the hull falls apart, killing everyone.
Space turbulence:
The ship goes through a rough current of space air and experiences severe turbulence. Objects are thrown around and crewmembers not buckled into a chair go flying (similar to that happens during the escape shuttle launch).
The centcomm warning should be similar to what a commercial airline pilot would say.
(10-20-2016, 02:39 PM)GEC Wrote: Space turbulence:
The ship goes through a rough current of space air and experiences severe turbulence. Objects are thrown around and crewmembers not buckled into a chair go flying (similar to that happens during the escape shuttle launch).
The centcomm warning should be similar to what a commercial airline pilot would say.

I think it should only affect some objects (but all crewmen) so that every single workstation doesn't instantaneously become messy garbage
Some of them, but not all of them
Only tool boxes, fire extinguishers, scalpels, and knives.
And stun batons. Can't forget stun batons.
(10-20-2016, 11:42 AM)Wonkmin Wrote: add fuckable owls

someone had to say it
(10-20-2016, 11:42 AM)Wonkmin Wrote: add fuckable owls

Wonk no
Disable magnetic bio-field event.

Seriously, it ruins everything at the worst possible times.

As for actual suggestions... I support the random power outage. Maybe also a teleporter malfunction event, where a random power surge "accidentally" teleports in something nasty? This would encourage proper lock-downs when the pad is not in use.