Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[GAMEMODE] Virus
Bug 
SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE ACTIVATED
"OH SHIT WHAT THE FUCK"

The virus is basically the King of hacking. It's goal is to get to the AI, last 10 minutes and have the Processing Power for said 10 minutes, and then blow up the entire station.

Anyway, nothing will be gained with more Introduction, let's get started!

UPGRADING
The Virus upgrades differently. Every new item it infects has a chance to grant it a new Download, and certain items give Processing Power.
It can use Processing Power in order to have more Downloads active at a time. However, it cannot quickly and robustly switch out Upgrades mid-fight, as it takes time for the Virus to properly Load them.

Processing Power was once Storage, and Download Time was once Loading Time. Check the bottom for who changed this!

For example, if the Virus has 7 Processing Power and wants to pick the Short-Distance Hack ability, it will take 1 minute for that ability to go into effect. If it wants to switch out that upgrade, it will have to delete Short-Distance Hack Ability (can still redownload it later, though.) and Load the new one, taking however long that will take. If it has enough Processing Power, however, it can skip that entirely and have both at the same time.

SPAWNING
The Virus can float around like a blob, and can deploy anywhere: Even space tiles and places people are watching it. 

At first it's very weak, with a simple 5 Processing Power and 2 useful upgrades.

Short-Distance Hack: Takes up 5 Processing Power and needs an entire minute to Load.
It allows the Virus to select an object within 3 squares of another object to being hacking it. No matter how far it goes after, it'll become hacked within 20 seconds.

Anti-Anti-Virus: Takes up 10 Processing Power and needs 2 minutes to Load.
It makes scans useless, always showing Positive. It also makes Anti-Virus's take 5 seconds longer, even the special CE's one.

After that, it can use a combo of Short-Distance Hack and Manual Hacks to spread enough to not die immediately if found. By now the crew should know about the Virus, however, and start getting prepared. Giving little time.

VARIOUS HACKABLE ITEMS (long)
All items not included here have 1 strand and only serve as extra cameras or hiding spots.

APC: 3 Strands
Processing Power Given: 2
Download Unlocked: CHARGERS: Takes 5 Processing Power and costs 3 minutes to Load.
Everything connected to the APC is automatically hacked. Including AIs and Cyborgs (if in Docking Station)
Extra: Can be used as if you were the AI, but with three extra options.
1. Can individually hack items, taking 15 seconds per item. Also scans for every connected hackable in the room.
2. Can overcharge the APC, breaking all the lights and making a Microbomb-sized bomb at the APC.
3. Can Emag attached, Electronic items.

PDA: 1 Strand
Processing Power Given: frown
Download Unlocked: ADWARE: Takes 5 Processing Power and costs 2 minutes to Load.
This will unlock an ability which lets you pick a message, causing every single infected PDA to send a message that you typed out to a random other PDA. If they reply, their PDA instantly becomed hacked.
Extra: You can use their APC, or blow it up.

CYBORG: 4 Strands
Processing Power Given: 5 
Download Unlocked: BACKUP DRIVES: 5 Processing Power and takes 5 minutes to Load. When a Cyborg or AI, infected or not, dies, they turn into a virus and automatically infect a random APC in the game.
Extra: The Cyborg will lose ALL laws, however you can upload a Law 1, which you can change at will or even remove. 15 second cooldown on this to prevent spam.

AI: 8 Strands PLEASE NOTE AN AI WITH A NUERAL NETWORK IS IMMUNE TO ALL METHODS OF HACKING EXCEPT MANUAL.
Processing Power Given: 30 Processing Power
Download Unlocked: SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE: 50 Processing Power. 10 Minute Loading time. Start a 60-second Self-Destruct Timer. Once it goes off, all Viruses win.
Extra: Same as Cyborg. Can also turn the AI into a virus with it's shell as it's starting, hacked spot.

TERMINALS: 1 Strand JASON HAYWARD GAVE AN IDEA FOR THIS IN DEAD CHAT! APPLAUD APPLAUD! IT'S IN THE BLUE IN EXTRAS.
Processing Power Given: 1
Download Unlocked: UPLINK: 10 Processing Power and takes 1 minute to Load. Can put this on an infected item, turning it red and making it create noises every now and then. It will automatically hack items within 5 tiles of it, taking 10 seconds to 2 minutes.
Extra: Can be used as if you had full access.

CAMERA: 1 Strand
Download Unlocked: TRACKER: 5 Processing Power, and takes 30 seconds to Load. Allows you to track people like an AI.
Extra:

COMS DISH: 1 Strand
Download Unlocked: INTERFERE: 25 Processing Power needed and takes 5 minutes to Load. It stops all Radio Chatter from going out.
Extra:

TURRET: 1 Strand
Download Unlocked: LETHALITY: 10 Processing Power and takes 5 minutes to Load. It sets all infected turrets to lethal, overcharges all lights attached to infected PDAs, blows up every infected PDA, Emags every single Guardbuddy, Duel Emags every single Securitron.
Extra:

DOOR: 1 Strand
Processing Power Given: frown
Download Unlocked: LIMITATION: Takes 5 Processing Power and 1 Minute to Load. All hacked items that require access refuse to give said access (unless to a virus).
Extra:

INTERCOM OR STATION BOUNCED RADIO: 1 Strand
Download Unlocked: HEARING AID: 5 Processing Power and takes 30 seconds to Load. All hacked items work as ears, allowing you to hear people near your Hacked Items. Extremely useful when every PDA is infected.
Extra:

MANUAL HACKING: WHAT IS IT!?
Manual hacking uses Strands.
Strands are pretty much a larger Genetics Puzzle. The Virus will have to solve a strand in order to hack into many items. Such as Fixed Items or the Original AI. 

1 Strand is like 1 little AT or CG in Genetics, except there are three different squares and Check Stability is now only available once every 30 seconds.
If something has, say, 8 strands, like the Original AI, you'll have 8 of these to solve. Meaning it will take quite a while, especially since NONE OF THEM ARE ALREADY SHOWN.

Also the cool part, instead of AT or CG, it's 0 and 1, so coding is fun, yay.

HOW TO FIGHT THIS BEAST!?
There is only one method: Anti-Virus the fuck out of the station. Until you believe every single part of the station is clean.

There are three types of Anti-Viruses that can come into use, but they all do three simple things:
Scan, telling if there is a virus there. Quite fast.
Anti-Virus, doing nothing and wasting tons of time if no virus but otherwise will fix the item and make it immune to all non-manual future hacks, also giving it 4 more strands.
Here they are:
ANTI-VIRUS +++:
Examine: An amazing development in Hacking Technology, extremely expensive so only great leaders can have it.
It takes 0 seconds to dehack an infected spot, instantly scans for viruses (why would you use that though!?).
That 0 seconds? Increased to 5 due to Anti-Anti-Virus.
ONLY ONE FOUND AND CANNOT BE SCANNED: Only the Chief Engineer has it.

MALWARE MASTER:
Examine: The Research Director thinks of it as a pet. Odd...
It can be C clicked or Used to scan the entire screen. Giving all infected items. It instantly scans, but take 20 seconds to Anti-Virus something.
It starts in Heisenbee, and can only be gotten by feeding Heisenbee his Birthday Cupcake. Cannot be scanned.

ANTI-VIRUS:
Examine: Some shitty Anti-Virus software that hardly works.
It's normal, and takes 3 seconds to scan and 25 seconds to Anti-Virus. None start on-station, but 5 can be purchased from QM for 2,500 and they can be cheaply made at (screwdriver and Multi-tool, not Virus) hacked Robotics Manufacturers.

VIRUS OBJECTIVES:
Blow up the station. That's why it's greatest goal is the AI, and unless Robotics makes more, it'll be difficult to get to said AI. However, the working of this gamemode prevents the CHEESE strategy:
Starting near the AI will not work. Not only will you find the AI screaming at the top of their lungs to stop you, but you'll also be faced with having to get some APCs and Terminals in order to gain more Processing Power, an angry crew, and in the case of a Brain-dead AI, a Centcomm announcement comes by telling the crew they have a Virus. This will immediately alert them to check the core to make sure it's extra Anti-Virus'd all around.

Note: I am unsure of what to do if the Station has no AI. Perhaps automatically start the count down if the Virus survives for 65 Minutes?

CENTCOMM IS USEFUL!?

No, not really. Though after 35 minutes Centcomm announces a virus is in their systems.

SO TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!?
Is it awful or good? Yay or Nay?

Tell me and expand ideas in the Comments Below!

HELPERS:
HydroFloric: They made it so Terminals would let you have full-access. Highlighted in Extras.
amaranthineApocalypse: They changed STORAGE to Processing Power. I decided to change DOWNLOAD TIME to Loading Time due to this.
APARTHEID: They suggested Centcomm only makes an announcement at about 20-30 minutes, I made this 35 minutes to give the Virus actual time to take effect. Also asked what Strands are, so I added a section informing people due to the fact that I forgot to put Strands and Manual Hacking.
Jammy really? It was me who gave you the idea ingame name was Jason Hayward

Also Yay
Jason, got it. I got to that part 1 hour after our conversation and all I knew was something short with a J, and some last name with a H.

I'll put better credit in now!
More ideas from YoukCat and like always they are cool new gamemodes. I think this sounds great especially for people who like AI or blob. I really need to learn goon code so I can make patches
Since we don't have the rogue AI roundtype anymore, this'd be a good place to use that "Upload complete" end movie thing that's sitting unused right now
Someone accidentally clicked on those fake "Download Here" ads. Now the whole station network is compromised!
Anyway I really wanna see this or something similar to it.
Extra idea: If the Clown gets to a computer, immediately 20 viruses spring up around the station.
Never trust Clowns near computers.

Jokes aside, what kind of Random Event Antagonist should this be? An APC and skip the two Downloads it gets at the start and instead go for the APC one, or deploy it as normal?
Can i make a small suggestion? Rename "Storage" to "Processing Power", it makes more sense for the function, aside from that i would absolutely LOVE to see this implemented.
Good idea, and we can rename DOWNLOAD TIME to LOADING TIME.
I'll start the changes now.
This seems actually really fucking cool and more antag variety is ALWAYS nice to see
Add potatoes as incredibly powerful weapons against this.
Well, I like this. You should tell us what a strand is, but I like the AI having to defend itself.

"No, I am not rogue, *lists laws*, something appears to be wrong with the station."

Also, like the blob, don't blow it by telling us there's a virus on the station by a hard limit; do the alert after 20 or 30 minutes and only that. Got to have the AI and cyborgs scramble after all!

There's plenty more I want to ask, but typing on a tablet sucks and I hate it
Yeah, I agree with you Apartheid. It'd be amazing having the entire crew thinking the AI is bad while the Borgs are being hacked and murderous and doors keep trying to close on people.
It would be kinda cool if the presence of the virus interfere with the VR room so everyone knows something is wrong.
Maybe if it hacks a pair of VR Goggles or a VR Machine, death in Virtual Reality will kill you in real life?