Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please let us edit and delete our own posts
BlackPhoenix Wrote:Dude, Coolguye, you need to chill your tits. The whole "I'm gonna get all passive aggressive and shoot down any problems suggested with my idea" "I'm incredibly calm and totally in the right here" attitude annoys everyone. There is a reason that editing is and has been disabled, just leave it be.
Could you explain precisely what you mean by this? I honestly don't see me as being aggressive about anything. Are you referring to the fact that I'm asking questions instead of just stating things? If that is the case, I TRIED to simply state things earlier and people did not respond to that, so instead of banging my head against the wall with something that already didn't work, I changed tack. I don't really think that's indicative of any negative feelings at all.

So far I'd say it has been a lot more successful because we've managed to have a decent back and forth without insults being thrown. The reasons people have given so far for a basic forum feature that was working back in 1996 for being disabled have been either terrible or, in your case, nonexistant. So instead of calling your reasons terrible or nonexistant, I'm asking questions. If you'd like to suggest a different way of getting people to respond you're welcome to share.
Quote:The reasons people have given so far for a basic forum feature that was working back in 1996 for being disabled have been either terrible or, in your case, nonexistant. So instead of calling your reasons terrible or nonexistant, I'm asking questions. If you'd like to suggest a different way of getting people to respond you're welcome to share.

This is Passive-aggressive. You've had an admin come in and say that it wasn't going to happen. Just because you don't like the reasons doesn't make them bad either. HoS candidates can be judged on their past comments. Memorable sperg outs are preserved, therefore making people less likely to have them by a modicum, in order to avoid looking stupid. Double and even triple posting doesn't kill a topic, otherwise this one would have been beaten to death a long time ago. Therefore, editing is unneeded in my opinion and the opinion of most other people here.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:This is Passive-aggressive.
How, precisely? I am saying precisely what I take exception to, and why. I do not know how to be much more direct/assertive/whatever. This is the exact OPPOSITE of PA. I feel like you would only be happy if I spewed epithets at you.

Quote:You've had an admin come in and say that it wasn't going to happen.
Bubs said no such thing, actually! Neither did Gorilla.

Quote:Just because you don't like the reasons doesn't make them bad either.
The fact that the reasons have no basis in things that actually happen is what makes them bad. That is what all my questions have been driving toward. It is dishonest to say otherwise.

Quote:HoS candidates can be judged on their past comments.
They are anyway, even if those comments were made in a particular game and only a fraction of the community ever sees it. An edited or deleted post wouldn't change this dynamic in the least.

Quote:Double and even triple posting doesn't kill a topic, otherwise this one would have been beaten to death a long time ago.
Don't think I ever said it did! I asked if it would have been easier, an upgrade in readability to read things in one post instead of 2-3.

If it's a philosophical thing that all posts should be final because you like it better that way, then that's fine, you're welcome to think that. But if you want to justify it by saying you would see less dumb shit being posted then you're making an error. There is no reason to think that, and by your own admission posts being final makes it a bit less likely that shit gets posted in the first place.
Wow, I come back after two hours to see you're still going. How long is it going to take for you to realize, that you arguing with everyone providing criticism to your idea, is ruining the your credibility, and your idea's?
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Wow, I come back after two hours to see you're still going. How long is it going to take for you to realize, that you arguing with everyone providing criticism to your idea, is ruining the your credibility, and your idea's?
What would you recommend instead? I note that many people have been eager to say things like this, but not so eager to say anything beyond 'you're just wrong'.
Okay, now that I'm at a computer instead of an IPhone, let me try again. There are two major reasons that I can think of for posts to be final. Firstly, funny, damning, or otherwise preferably permanent posts are kept that way. This lets us look back even a few months in time to see world-class spergouts that were provided by the guy wanting to be HoS. People don't tend to remember spaceman names so well after a month or so, but spastic 11 year olds stay that way for the same period of time. Secondly, with that in mind, it keeps these things from happening as often. Yes, we enjoy seeing a good breakdown from time to time, but they also can get annoying, and definitely ruin the credibility of the person in question. Knowing that your posts carry weight helps keep players in check, and improves the quality of these forums. If a post is in need of editing to, for instance, add the name of a banning admin or remove links that break the creepiness rule or violate a person's privacy, then an admin can swoop in and handle it. I'm not sure why you're so adamant to decry everyone who says something you don't like as wrong and ignorant, but it doesn't really change the fact that players lacking the ability to edit their posts proves to be more benefit than drawback in the long run. I hope this is enough for you beyond just "You're wrong", because I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think you're seeing all of the pros and cons.
Coolguye Wrote:
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Wow, I come back after two hours to see you're still going. How long is it going to take for you to realize, that you arguing with everyone providing criticism to your idea, is ruining the your credibility, and your idea's?
What would you recommend instead? I note that many people have been eager to say things like this, but not so eager to say anything beyond 'you're just wrong'.

Ok, well the one time I did offer an answer, you shot it down, calling it a "Hypothetical Example". If you really want a good discussion about a topic, don't act passive aggressive towards anyone who offers any criticism about your idea, regardless of the quality of it. As you can see, the way you're acting in this thread, has resulted in people calling you and your idea stupid, and you proving the point by acting so belligerent.
Coolguye Wrote:Ex:
Fautzo Wrote:SA handles it just fine.
Fautzo Wrote:then again a lot of those guys arent shit like us
Fautzo Wrote:actually i take that back
Wouldn't it have been much easier to take in that information if there weren't 3 posts? At the very least, 'take that back' would no longer be ambiguous - the way this is written currently, it is arguable whether Fautzo means to take back the not shit comment or SA handles it fine comment.

If something so weird happened in this very thread, isn't it reasonable to believe it can happen elsewhere? Isn't that a readability concern?

will you please shut the fuck up
Lookey here now, the community has decided that your suggestion isn't up to key and as such it likely will not but admitted. I will give you two options:
  • 1. Shuttup and let this topic die
    2. Continue this argument and eventually resurrect the hall of poo with your own petty squabbles.

The community has spoken, and their answer is:
And that sums this up.