Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please let us edit and delete our own posts
While I'd admit that a edit button would be nice in those moments where I go full spaz and somehow screw up, then completely miss the screwup and click post, I'd much rather have someone's stupid comments in history for me to laugh at later. The only time I ever click preview is usually for formating.

Bring back hall of poo, It makes it easier to sort through all the admin complaints and bans and find all the funny ones.
Never edit. Let all posts be final.
SA handles it just fine.
then again a lot of those guys arent shit like us
actually i take that back
bubs Wrote:if we did this we wouldnt get to see how stupid you all are as often
Again, I'd like to see the evidence for this idea. Since my days slumming around happy-puppy.com for a free demo of Cannon Fodder, every single community I have participated in has had no shortage of dumbfuck sperging smeared all over their forums and voluntarily left there forever.
Coolguye Wrote:
bubs Wrote:if we did this we wouldnt get to see how stupid you all are as often
Again, I'd like to see the evidence for this idea. Since my days slumming around happy-puppy.com for a free demo of Cannon Fodder, every single community I have participated in has had no shortage of dumbfuck sperging smeared all over their forums and voluntarily left there forever.

If John Doe wants to become a HoS/Mentor, he needs to show that he is a good addition to the community. If John has posted shitty stuff on the forums that show he's a dumbass and needs to go back to grade school for spelling lessons, it would rightfully used against him. However, if John Doe can edit his posts, he can transform all of those shitty posts, into actually helpful posts. Then, he can claim that he has been a helpful member of the community, and he can use his "Facts" as proof. While, in truth, he's an idiot that is nowhere near qualified to even play this game. How's this for "Evidence"?
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:How's this for "Evidence"?
Isn't this irrelevant to the stated reason? Wasn't the stated reason records of lols, whereas your reason is records against community advancement? And aren't you presenting a hypothetical, not actual evidence?

Both mentor and HoS applications are subject to input from the community. If someone cannot spell or has made themselves look like a dumbass regularly enough to be declined, simply editing or deleting your posts isn't also going to edit or delete the impressions you made on people. Glancing at the current mentor/HoS apps, I don't see a single one where a post has been quoted showing the applicant's insight and wisdom. Even if one exists that I missed, the utterly vast majority of support posts do not have nor require such backup. Why would you need to quote a post showing an applicant's idiocy? Isn't that a double standard? In your own hypothetical, that you were able to make up out of the bounds of what has actually happened?

Is it possible you are reaching? If so, why do you feel the need to?
Wow ok, I didn't realize you were this intense in your belief of your idea, I wish you luck finding someone that actually takes you, and your idea seriously.
We don't have evidence right now because it is impossible to provide evidence on these forums without delete and edit functions and logs of each. Stop asking for it, its a dumb thing to ask for the impossible as a form of evidence.

If you remember the Hall of Poo from the old forums that would be enough evidence.

As to your argument about there being enough people that just wouldn't edit their amazingly terrible posts. We want every one of these horrible walls of text we can get, they are hilarious and losing even one is sad.

In short, we don't gain much for adding editing, just double post if you have something you forgot to add, its not the end of the world. Or heck, click preview and actually re read everything you said and think about it a moment before hitting send.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Wow ok, I didn't realize you were this intense in your belief of your idea, I wish you luck finding someone that actually takes you, and your idea seriously.
Where, precisely, did you get the idea that I'm anything but perfectly calm? I do not understand why you would make this assertion. I took great care to talk to your points, not any dumbass emotions.

Ronnyfire Wrote:We don't have evidence right now because it is impossible to provide evidence on these forums without delete and edit functions and logs of each. Stop asking for it, its a dumb thing to ask for the impossible as a form of evidence.
I did not ask for it on this forum. I asked for it ANYWHERE. The idea that more than a very small handful of people do this is absolutely contrary to what I've run into. Isn't the existence of full, unedited copies of such gems as the Bioforce Ape prank thread a good example of what I'm talking about? Dozens of unwashed nerds embarrassed themselves for all to see there. Shouldn't they have deleted their posts after the prank was revealed and it became obvious how fucking stupid, petty, and spergy they were? Shouldn't at least ONE of them done it? Why didn't they?

Quote:If you remember the Hall of Poo from the old forums that would be enough evidence.
Isn't a locked forum of general silliness tangential to the idea of general post editing? SA seems to think it is, with the gaschamber/goldmine concept.

Quote:As to your argument about there being enough people that just wouldn't edit their amazingly terrible posts. We want every one of these horrible walls of text we can get, they are hilarious and losing even one is sad.
If there's something you truly want to save, couldn't you just quote it?

Quote:In short, we don't gain much for adding editing
Recall that there are 10 posts per page right now. Double, or even triple posting as has already happened twice in this thread and countless of times elsewhere, takes up a significant amount of the page. Doesn't readability count as a gain? Ease of use? Particularly when everyone here plays a game where ease of use is one of the absolute worst things wrong with it?
Again on the topic of providing evidence, we cant do that without logs of edited and deleted posts from other places. You imply the internet hasn't long gems to people editing or deleting their posts, but the reason you haven't see any of them is because they were DELETED HOLY CRAP what a concept. Hell just to read some youtube comments for 5 min and you will stumble on deleted posts that were called out for being shit.

Never did i say or even imply that everyone who says dumb things is smart enough to edit or delete it later, only that there are some who would. That is the portion i don't want to lose.

As for quoting it, step one? we shouldn't have to. Step two? Quite often someone would edit it in the near future following the failure of a post, having re read it or calmed down or whatever, long before anyone who would quote it would even see it.

Double posting doesn't add any real noticeable problems with readability. I don't get your point.
Quote:the reason you haven't see any of them is because they were DELETED HOLY CRAP what a concept.
Deleted without anyone seeing them/responding to them? Or deleted as in "edit: nvm" posts? Both of these seem like potential use-cases, and I've certainly seen these things happen, but I cannot think of a single instance, nor even a likely scenario, where this theoretical comedy gold mine has been lost to the internet nether. What makes you believe this is a common phenomenon?

Ronnyfire Wrote:Hell just to read some youtube comments for 5 min and you will stumble on deleted posts that were called out for being shit.
The vast majority of those get either censored by the downvote filter or removed by the video uploader. How does this relate?

Quote:Never did i say or even imply that everyone who says dumb things is smart enough to edit or delete it later.
Could you point to the part where you felt accused of this? I do not remember asserting this.

Quote:only that there are some who would. That is the portion i don't want to lose.
Doesn't this sound a little like saving your soda cans, on the off chance one might become a collector's item? Particularly when you have no idea if the concept of a collectible soda can/hilarious lost spergepost even exists?

Quote:As for quoting it, step one? we shouldn't have to.
Isn't this similar to how I shouldn't have to post twice to finish my thoughts, or be forced to read someone double-think themselves over the course of 3 posts, as happened earlier in the thread? Why precisely is your 'shouldn't have to' superceding anyone else's?

Quote:Step two? Quite often someone would edit it in the near future following the failure of a post, having re read it or calmed down or whatever, long before anyone who would quote it would even see it.
So, your potential use-case for someone creating a lost spergepost goes something like this, if I understand it correctly:
1) Random person gets hella mad.
2) Random person goes to the forum, vents his hella mad into the keyboard, hits post.
3) Random person very abruptly and rapidly has his hella mad leave him, hits rock bottom, and realizes that he is about as smart as that stuff that gets caught between your sneakers, and scrambles back to the forum. This must happen basically over the course of an hour or two, absolute fucking tops.
4) Random person deletes hella mad post.
Doesn't this seem like an extremely narrow use-case? Wouldn't it be reasonable to think that such a narrow use-case, on such a small forum, would never happen?

Quote:Double posting doesn't add any real noticeable problems with readability.

Ex:
Fautzo Wrote:SA handles it just fine.
Fautzo Wrote:then again a lot of those guys arent shit like us
Fautzo Wrote:actually i take that back
Wouldn't it have been much easier to take in that information if there weren't 3 posts? At the very least, 'take that back' would no longer be ambiguous - the way this is written currently, it is arguable whether Fautzo means to take back the not shit comment or SA handles it fine comment.

If something so weird happened in this very thread, isn't it reasonable to believe it can happen elsewhere? Isn't that a readability concern?
Furbeh Wrote:Editing is fine, deleting is not ok. Allow us to see previous versions of a post if someone edits their own post.
Is there any problem with this? I have seen many forums with editing but showing previous versions.
Dude, Coolguye, you need to chill your tits. The whole "I'm gonna get all passive aggressive and shoot down any problems suggested with my idea" "I'm incredibly calm and totally in the right here" attitude annoys everyone. There is a reason that editing is and has been disabled, just leave it be.