Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Extra Insulated Gloves Removal - AKA: Unpopular Idea Thread
(10-19-2016, 05:57 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote:
(10-19-2016, 01:56 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: just let them take them 

you already have a pair so what's the problem

The issue is that when there's a steady flow of people filing in and out of an area they take tools, random parts of whatever project you were working on for some reason, resources you may have needed, create disarray, break walls or windows, one out of every five wants to flash you or some other grief as well, and then the occasional traitor mixes in there and decides to just kill you for being in the room. It's incredibly disruptive and more than likely you end up spending half your round fixing whatever mess they made. You can leave things broken -- sure -- but that just lets more people come running in and out as they please and the cycle continues.

I'm willing to give gloves to anyone who asks for them. The issue is people who think it's their divine right to come acquire whatever they want at whatever expense.

The gloves are what draw them in 99% of the time.

then just toss them outside in the hallway
They break in anyways? Gloves aren't the problem. People are just idiots.

When I flush em' people just break in, silently look around, then leave. Ideally you'd call security but that doesn't work because they're too busy chasing the bomber, the baker and the cannabis maker.

Your best bet is to beat the crap out of 'em, I guess. That's what I'd do if somebody broke into my office.
Here's the issue with your solution babayetu:

• Round starts
• Toss all gloves into the hall
• They are swipped within twenty seconds
• People still break in because they have no way of knowing the gloves are already gone
• Same crap

(You can say announce it over comms but no one pays attention to that either)

Removing them from the department removes the incentive to continually break in.
spend 20 minutes fortifying your workplace with r-walls

bolt and weld the maint behind your workplace so they cant sneak in behind you
(10-20-2016, 05:57 AM)misto Wrote: spend 20 minutes fortifying your workplace with r-walls

And then you've wasted half of your round.

I figured this idea wouldn't get much support and I'm a little disappointed that everyone's suggesting that it's on the mechanic to stop this swarm every single round; open the doors and let people come mess with everything you're working on, steal stuff, break things, etc; or run off to the tech outpost where you'll have zero interaction with people.

If this were a one off thing or happening once in a blue moon, I'd be right there with you; however, this is what happens in every-single-round as a mechanic.
scan and copy the phaser gun and open fire on people who dare to violate your sanctum
automatic flushers infront of any tile that has access to mechanical. flush those turds.
They should just take the windows out of mechanics and replace them with walls. Whenever I want to steal glove from mechanics, I hack the door open and unhack it when I am done. Nobody can follow me in, no evidence I was there.

On that note: Make door hacking just SLIGHTLY more difficult, would ya? Even if the windows get replaced with walls, I can still hack the door open pretty easily without any gloves. Basically every round as staff assistant I can steal the RCD and the antique laser with very little effort and get away with it even more easily. I want to actually have a challenge hacking doors open, not "find door in isolated location, figure out which wire cuts power when pulsed, get what is effectively all access".
this thread is bad
(10-20-2016, 06:29 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: I figured this idea wouldn't get much support and I'm a little disappointed that everyone's suggesting that it's on the mechanic to stop this swarm every single round; open the doors and let people come mess with everything you're working on, steal stuff, break things, etc; or run off to the tech outpost where you'll have zero interaction with people.

I understand where you're coming from, but I still get people breaking in when they KNOW I tossed all the gloves out. We could move the extra gloves to the outpost or make them a very rare part of the loot table and people would still break into mechanics because they can.

It's just a people problem. Mechanics is easy to break into, so people do. People also break into engineering, science, botany, etc. every other round because they want something but don't want to wait or broker a deal. They don't risk anything while doing this, so there's no reason for them to stop.
Am I the only one that breaks into anything and everything except security and the AI upload on a regular basis? (usually 2 break-ins total per round, tool storage being 1)
Is this really a problem?

Sometimes I break into mechanics for gloves. Not often but it happens, 2x as much if im traitor or the AI is being a dick.

If bored, a little Breaking and Entering spices things up. Personally, except for the window I smash or false wall I make, you'd hardly be able to tell I was there.
I'm not there to ruin your project or your fun. Its more likely that I don't want to bother the AI with another dumb door request, nor do I feel like going through any of the other "appropriate" channels (which take forever, usually).
TBH, most players would very much rather you do ask instead of breaking in. Even if you're not actually there to do anything bad, they don't know that you're not a traitor here to empty a .22 into them, and on goonstation you really just have to assume the worst of everyone until proven otherwise. And no, asking the AI to open a door generally isn't going to annoy it. Most AI players are looking for something, anything, to do other than pan the camera around in circles.

As far as the actual topic goes, I think this is less a gloves issue and more of a mechanics being stupidly easy to break into issue.
Mechanics can be pretty damn territorial. I remember one round where me and another guy broke into mechanics to get to the escape shuttle, since all the other routes were bolted shut. A mechanic proceeded to stun me and the other guy and teleport us into an electrified room.
Yeah, that was me. That round I was particularly annoyed because a few people made it their duty to continually destroy walls and attack me. Not just hit me with an extinguisher or toolbox, I mean flamethrowers, scalpels, and anything they could get their hands on. I wasn't taking any chances at that point and went into defense mode.

I saw you two breaking down doors and after I recovered from my aneurysm, pushed you into that teleporter trap.