Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Reworking Addiction Mechanics
Instead of rolling for addiction the moment the chem is used, it should work through a tolerance counter, Souls-style. The Tolerance Counter would keep a tally of how many units you've ingested of certain chems (or class of chem). Once the tally goes above a certain amount, addiction starts to kick in.

The affects of addiction itself would also be more of a gradual increase with this system. Instead of each level of addiction coming one after another until you take a nap or blow your brains out, they would trigger only after the Tolerance Counter for that drug reaches a high enough threshold. This means that going a little overboard with the needle would just give you the shakes, but pounding loads of the stuff would turn you into a puking wreck begging for death.

The Tolerance Counter would also slowly decrease over time, in bed, and with certain expensive medbay goods (methadone, yo). Once you're super duper hooked on all those cracks you've been danking, coming off the stuff wouldn't be easy. You can't just to go below the threshold and be a-okay; you're a recovering addict, after all. The tally would need to decrease by a certain percentage for you to drop down one level of addiction severity, and during that time your favorite drug would increase the tally much more than it normally would.

As I mentioned earlier with classes of chem, certain chems could be grouped together and each count toward the same tally. For instance, bath salts, meth, and other go-fast drugulants would each increment a "Stims" counter, getting you hooked on all of them instead of each one individually, which is to say that you can use meth to satisfy a crank addiction in some capacity. This might also allow for some category-specific withdrawal affects, such as greatly reduced stamina for stim withdrawal, amplified damage for healing withdrawal, etc.

Finally, we can't call it a Tolerance Counter without some actual drug tolerance! As the Tolerance Counter increases, so does the depletion of that certain chem. You'll need more and more of that chem just to keep yourself blazing. Maybe it would also increase overdose thresholds, to give you the superpower of surviving a pen full of The Hard Stuff? I dunno. Makes a lot more sense than an emaggable cop axe or critter ghosts. The hell was I thinking?
I really like this idea. My only suggestion would be that the tolerance counter would actually work on intervals, with an increased chance to become addicted per tick of depletion in higher intervals (for example, having the counter from 20 to 40 units of meth might have a 10% chance per tick, while having the counter over 100 could have a 50% chance per tick, that sort of thing). This seems more dynamic than a constant number, and less easy to be gamed (like injecting 14.9 units if 15 is the addiction constant)

Should still have 0% chance in small amounts though.
Yes. Making addictions kick in only when you get over a specific limit is great, as you could limit to how much you use at a time before taking more.
I wish this was a thing already we should have this.
although this may nerf the delicious clown juice somewhat, it is understandable to desire more reasonable ways to manage chems and drugs

perhaps we should decide on what an ingame chem "unit" is in grams or milliliters, and this could help us think of good tolerances, dosages, etc
Getting instantly addicted to something and having the addiction progressively ramp up and cripple me is fucking irritating.

I support these changes. Also, getting addicted to 5 different variants of the same kind of drug is goofy and it'd be nice to be able to substitute them for each other, dealing with the side effects of each.
How about a less complicated alternative?

Instead of doing addiction in terms of individual drugs, handle it by class. Each class comes in minor, moderate and major strength. Minor drugs give minor addictions which cause minor cravings which are satisfied with a minor (or stronger!) drug of the proper class. Moderate addictions (caused by moderate drugs) give both minor and moderate cravings while major addictions give all three. A minor craving gives you 30s to satisfy it in order to avoid obvious cosmetic effects such as twitching or drooling. A moderate craving gives you 1 minute to satisfy it in order to avoid an unpleasant symptom like falling over or puking. A major craving gives you 5 minutes to satisfy it in order to avoid potentially deadly symptoms, like brain damage or passing out.

Very Important: Addictions do not advance to the next stage on their own. Coffee is a minor addiction and never advances unless you decide to substitute some meth in a pinch when you're out of coffee.

Our three classes are:

Stimulants
Minor (Sugar, Coffee, Capsaicin, Nicotine): Blurry vision. Yawning.
Moderate (Methamphetamine, Ephedrine, THC*): The "You feel tired." from current addictions.
Major (Bath Salts*, Crank): Passing out for a minute or so.

Depressants
Minor (Antihistamine, Teporone, Ethanol*): Twitching. Itching.
Moderate (Perfluorodecalin, Yobihodazine, THC*, Haloperidol*, Ethanol*): Puking.
Major (Bath Salts*, Morphine, Krokodil, Ethanol*): 10 brain damage.

Hallucinogens
Minor (Jenkem, LSD, Diluted Fliptonium, Cat Drugs): Drooling. Hallucinations.
Moderate (Omnizine, Fliptonium, THC*): Collapsing while screaming.
Major (Bath Salts*, Space Drugs): ~5 squares of random stumbling.

Special Drugs
THC satisfies moderate cravings for all drug classes, but is completely non-addictive.

Ethanol is a minor depressant at 10u dosages, a moderate depressant at 20u and a major depressant at 30u.

Haloperidol has a 10% chance to reduce your stimulant and hallucinogenic addictions by one stage each life cycle. It is a moderate depressant.

Holy Water has a 10% chance to reduce your depressant addictions by one stage each life cycle. It is non-addictive.

Bath Salts cause a level 3 addiction of every type and satisfy cravings of every type.
I like the idea for THC, seems like it'd make weed actually more valuable on the station if you could use it to stem the tide of addiction
I like both of these ideas, but Grek's seems simple enough to stand a chance of actually getting implemented. I think tolerance is a much better way of dealing with addictions rather than the current system.

I like what you did with ethanol. Apparently, alcohol withdrawal can be REALLY BAD, as in, significant brain damage or even death.
I Vote Grek:tm:
Dumb Idea: Chemical tolerance

What if you could conjigger a way to keep poisoning yourself until eventually the poison no longer works.

Like some gosh awful combination of charcoal, life saving drugs and the worst poisons on the station until you no longer feel the effects.

Then you could just inject people with your highly toxic blood.
(10-16-2016, 04:27 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Dumb Idea: Chemical tolerance

What if you could conjigger a way to keep poisoning yourself until eventually the poison no longer works.

Like some gosh awful combination of charcoal, life saving drugs and the worst poisons on the station until you no longer feel the effects.

This should probably go the other way and have some good chems that you can become tolerant to from over exposure
(10-16-2016, 04:27 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Dumb Idea: Chemical tolerance

Of course, this would have to come with the caveat that you're addicted to all the poisons too.

"You feel like you need Sarin to live!"
I just like making lesser addictions less horrible. I've halted caffeine intake before and only dealt with mild headaches and fatigue... which may have been natural to begin with. Dropping heroin cold-turkey, on the other hand, can kill you.
I've disliked coffee and nicotine addictions in their present form.

Grek's suggestion rocks. The initial suggestion was good but was too detailed and complex to be easy to code.
I really like the THC idea, but the alcohol consumption required to reach each stage should be much, much higher.
Assume that the crew -WANTS- to chug 2 bottles of bourbon without any ill effect other than a bit of puking and slurring.
However, anything past that, and you can assume they're asking for complications.

Alcohol is supposed to be a fun substance on-station, theres a few positive uses but none of them are overly robust.
So lets not penalize alcohol consumption until it reaches a high peak.

If implemented:
Check to be sure that small quantities of Bo-Jacks and Moonshine still fuck you the hell up