Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DWARF FORTRESS SUCCESSION GAME:
Those fuckers be smart too; They will ignore stockpiles set outside and will dive right into the damn fort! 

I have a plan though; Construct an outdoor building with an enclosed roof, save for a single corner. Place either a Gem or Coin stockpile inside, surrounded by Cage or Weapon Traps. The second you see a roving band, LOCK UP THE FORT SAVE FOR THE OUTDOOR BUILDING.

This should, in theory, make them head straight to the "Birdsmen Hotel" and either capture (Hey, Archery Targets can only train you so much...) or kill them with ease!
name a dwarf after me

and then when he dies in a tragic brewing accident name his firstborn the 2nd
You forget how dwarfs work.

If you die, then your dwarfy-wife will go insane and use your firstborn child as a bludgeon to murder people with, causing a tantrum spiral.
Alright. I've been busy this week but I'll hopefully have my year done tonight so that Zewaka can have the weekend for his turn. So far nothing interesting has happened though. Oh well.
Another year has passed in for the fortress. Please enjoy this short progress report.

Year 2:
Good god working with this layout has been confusing, but I did learn some tricks that Ill be putting in to other fortresses. The first order of buisness was to finish up the few bedrooms that had been started, which was quickly accomplished. After this I noticed that the stockpiles could use a bit of compression, so the dwarves dutifully hammered together a few boxes to chuck their shit into. It was after this that I turned my eye to the military, as I had heard terrifying rumors of giant keas that could steal dorfs themselves. The current affairs suggested that the dorf army was to be mainly ranged based. This of course, was found to be unacceptable. As any dorf can tell you, a battle axe through the skull is the most honorable and dorfiest way to kill a foe. At this point the forges were put to work outfitting a small squad of 10 of the most useless bravest dorfs in the fortress. I myself took the position of militia commander.

At this point I decided to start improving the fortress. And what better way than by tying up all of my useful dorfs and spending a whole season building an elaborate and large temple to something or the other. A massive area was cleared, smoothed, and decorated with uniformly colored statues arranged in a tasteful manner. I chucked an instrument in and made Babayaga's dorf an exotic temple dancer, as I believe he wanted. At this point a shield-obsessed mayor was elected and I was forced to spend a bit of time making the required buildings for a dorf of his stature.

Temple complete, I decided to actually do something useful for the fortress. You will now find a fully stocked and functional hospital to help take care of any small bouts of Fun that might be had in the future. At this point the outpost liason arrived for the usual agreements. I requested booze and exotic clothes. They requested anvils and hats.

Winter was uneventful, mostly just tidying up, making more armor and weapons and bars and food, etc....

Good luck to dreamcarver, the third Dorf Overseer!

The fortress: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8mnhxnp25hfjg...1.zip?dl=0

EDIT: Whoops. I can't read and got the third person wrong. Sorry dreamcarver
Sad to say, but I'm going to be away next week, with no computer access until next Saturday. If you want to wait on me, that's be great, but I'm fine with it rotating back to A4brogan rather than me holding everyone up.
Just rotate it back to AB4brogan and when you get back take his turn. That way you each come out even.
Sweet, sounds good to me!
Oh dear god no it's my turn

Prepare for incompetence and lax management
Just wait as your turn is the first one to have a goblin invasion.

Actually, what's the setting of the fort? Like, the biome, savageness, climate, general features, along with its neighbors. Are invasions even enabled in the game that's being used?
Well, its a Heavily forested area, bordering between "Untamed Wilds" and whatever is the step down from it.
Year 3: oh god its just getting started

First off, who designed this fort? It's absolutely maddening! It took me a few hours to even remember where the masonry was. Blergh. So, I started out by clearing a large area underground for a new central stockpile area. Suddenly, the Cyclops Bosteb Ursotudôsp Tata Osplu came! He was a giant humanoid monster with a single eye set in his forehead. Our army smashed him to pieces though. I got a bunch more decorating, stockpile, and other stuff done. Oh, and we will never run out of wood ever. It's almost impossible to use up all the wood I've stored, along with all the wood that simply has nowhere to go. Seriously, all the trees are gone. The elves will be very angry. I requested lots of plump helmets from the liason.

One of our most pressing concerns is that there is no water sources. By the summer, our only three deaths have been from dehydration in a hospital. In September, we were attacked by the Forgotten Beast Zospu. A great scaly caterpillar. It had thin wings of stretched skin and it squirmed and fidgeted. It's teal scales were round and set far apart. We were warned to beware its deadly dust! It died somehow. It looks like a colony of ant people blowgunned it to death. But seriously, our downfall might be a lack of water. Anyone who is injured can only drink water. Therefore, if you get to the hospital you will die. Mass dehydration set in during October. I foresee that the fortress will not last long, having found all three cave levels and no spring underground. We can only brew so fast. We also made a masterpiece... floodgate. How ironic.

I have started work on compressing all of the wood storage into a quantum stockpile using minecarts. In December, a towering hairy sauropod named Ozor decided to visit on the 2nd level of the caves. He was quickly dispatched by one of our axedwarves, Ustuth 'Dominick' Dodokshedim. Like two days later, a giant crab literally made out of flame named Lisid came on the first layer of the caves. Like holy fuck, it literally spreads fire and smoke wherever it goes. It burned the entire caves. Luckily, our first cave outpost is extremely secure, filled with traps and multiple doors.

AND THEN HOLY FUCK. A CAVE DRAGON GOT INSIDE THE 3RD CAVERN OUTPOST THANKS TO A GREMLIN!!! I quickly rushed my squad to the 3rd cavern, as the literal fire crab still had 3 iron doors to melt through. Two dwarves died to kill that dragon, our ranger Sazir and our valiant swordsman Kel. Before we had time to grieve, I rushed the squad to the overlook above Cavern 2. While the cave dragon fight happened, the gremlin was killed by a cave reacher. I'm so sorry, but the fire crab was not letting me open the door to let my squad kill it. You'll have to do that by yourself.

Good luck to ferriswheel1/A4Brogan/DreamCarver/whoknowsanymore, the fourth Dorf Overseer!

The fortress: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqnxkq96v20cobm
Wait. YOU CUT ALL THE SURFACE TREES. DUDE, WHY!? YOU CAN MAKE FRUIT BOOZES!!

Also, my advice for a lack of water involves using rain water. Somehow. I dunno. I'll crack open that one thing what let's you see the unseeable

OKAY, WHICH ONE OF YA IS BRAVE ENOUGH TO SEE IF MY MODIFICATIONS TO THE MAP ARE USABLE IN GAMES WITHOUT DFHACK INSTALLED!?

I heard the plight about no water anywhere, and decided to put a 2 Z-Level Deep hole Right outside the fort, topside, and filled it with RIVER SOURCES. You now have a fuckton of potentially limitless water...Just don't drown the fort.

Well, This is embarassing...You guys got a mixup on saves. Region 1 is always my experimental world. The one I made for you all was based off the wiki's suggestions. Probably why there is no water...

What I am saying is, yeah, dorf's are dead if hurt. Might as well turn the hospital into a giant speartrap room.
I find myself cutting down the majority of the new fruit producing multi-z trees to prevent fps death due to critter pathing and whatnot.

In fact my fort designs tend to focus on minimizing lag. Compact, vertical design with localized elements. Quantum stockpiles. "Tree murder". Controlled production. Aggressive animal 'control'. Excess gets sold or given away. What can't be sold/given away gets smashed. Burrows. Lots and lots of burrows.

I need to build a pc, really. This is the last laptop I'll ever own. Granted that has little to do with DF performance.
Can someone link me to where I can download Dwarf Fortress? It sounds amazing.