Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DWARF FORTRESS SUCCESSION GAME:
Even with dfhack and dwarf therapist it's still a clusterfuck. Not that those can't be fun. We do play ss13 after all.

I think most people get turned away at the game setup, the embark, the graphics, then the menus. Make it passed those and you'll be fine.

Game setup is simplified with this. The starter pack has some embark profiles you can enable, so you can largely bypass the embark screen until you get bored of profiles. The graphics I can't help you with; just choose a tileset you like, or go with ASCII like a real dorf. The menus you get used to, but I'd suggest using dwarf therapist (included in the starter pack) for sanity.

Finally, the wiki is great so use it. If you get completely lost, there's a few youtubers who have fairly up-to-date tutorials. This one seems to touch on most of the basics and isn't 12 hours long. You think I'm joking about the 12 hours? :laughtrack:

-----------

edit; Oh ya, normally I'd LOVE to play, but my laptop is on it's last leg. Doesn't help that I have to use 2012 drivers for everything. Thanks Lenovo.
(10-15-2016, 06:57 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 05:33 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: Oh god, i fear this thread may have started me down the long dark spiral of getting into dwarf fortress.

*scream

It was posted just as I started getting into dwarf fortress. Uh oh.

I mean, this thread is making me want to get back into DF, but at the same time, I don't want to get dragged back down this ASCII hellhole. I just don't have the time for it.

I'll just fondly regard the bloodshed from a distance.
Dont use the base version. Get the starter pack and pick a nice graphics pack. And also use dwarf therapist. Its like a whole new game.
Agh. I just lost an hour due to twbt instability. If you guys have random crashes it's probably that. Which is a sad because wow it's nice to have. Could also be my computer, seeing as I have to restart the video drivers every 45 mins.

Oh, and training axes no longer chop down trees. This caused my test fortress to be, for a year, COMPLETELY ELF FRIENDLY. The shame.
(10-15-2016, 07:11 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Even with dfhack and dwarf therapist it's still a clusterfuck. Not that those can't be fun. We do play ss13 after all.

I think most people get turned away at the game setup, the embark, the graphics, then the menus. Make it passed those and you'll be fine.

Game setup is simplified with this. The starter pack has some embark profiles you can enable, so you can largely bypass the embark screen until you get bored of profiles. The graphics I can't help you with; just choose a tileset you like, or go with ASCII like a real dorf. The menus you get used to, but I'd suggest using dwarf therapist (included in the starter pack) for sanity.

Finally, the wiki is great so use it. If you get completely lost, there's a few youtubers who have fairly up-to-date tutorials. This one seems to touch on most of the basics and isn't 12 hours long. You think I'm joking about the 12 hours? :laughtrack:

-----------

edit; Oh ya, normally I'd LOVE to play, but my laptop is on it's last leg. Doesn't help that I have to use 2012 drivers for everything. Thanks Lenovo.

Yeah, i'm using that already. I decided to go with a tileset because the ASCII was genuinely giving me a migraine, it became much more manageable after that. Haven't started with dwarf therapist yet, but i don't have very many dwarfs yet. I imagine i'll be firing it up soon.

Also, this book has been utterly invaluable.

Edit: And if i become at all decent after a while of playing and you don't mind late entries, i'll probably drop in and have a go.
This is how I learned how to DF: https://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/...art-1-wtf/
Pretty sure I learned through Captnduck's old tutorials.

Huh. Seems the guy who wrote that article also wrote the book amApo mentioned. Looks like the book is for DF2012 tho. Not that it matters. Fortress mode has become a lot easier and forgiving over the years. The only noted trouble I had was not climb-proofing my fort (didn't know it was a thing) before a were-something showed up.

Lots of funerals that month. :salute:
Just lost a fortress a few minutes ago. The mayor and miner were both vampires from the start, and combined killed 10-15 dwarves over the first few years. Does this end it? No. Some dwarf kept their llama in their bedroom until it starved and then set off a tantrum spiral when it died. What a game.

So yeah, good luck to the poor sap who has to go after me.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FUCK I FELL ASLEEP AFTER FALL PREP YARD WORK!
FUCK FUCK FUCK LEMME GET IT UP
(10-15-2016, 10:51 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Agh. I just lost an hour due to twbt instability. If you guys have random crashes it's probably that. Which is a sad because wow it's nice to have. Could also be my computer, seeing as I have to restart the video drivers every 45 mins.

Oh, and training axes no longer chop down trees. This caused my test fortress to be, for a year, COMPLETELY ELF FRIENDLY. The shame.

I think this is a known bug. It's happened to me as well. Sometimes they do work and sometimes they dont. the only solution is to rensure embark or wait for a caravan.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wu1ove3e0oo8z...0UpJa?dl=0

*Previous overseer did indeed write a journal, but forgot to hand it to the archivalist due to unknown reasons. Said overseer has now refused to step out of the fort, due to "visions of the winged menace."*
Oh god you build fortresses very differently than I do. Its like reading someone else's code.

Year 2, HERE WE GO!
Hah. Yeah. I have a habit of putting everything into 3x3's, 5x5, or 11x11's. I tend to focus on crafts asap to get a good first trade. The rest of the time is spent on consumables, infrastructure and fortification.

After that it's all whatever I feel like. Occasionally I do abandon all of this and just plunge right to the magma sea. Who needs coke when your main stairwell descends directly into hell. Surface living, though sacrilegious, can also be quite fun.
See, I focus on getting a farm running, then a kitchen/still/dining hall secured, then MASSIVE FUCKING STOCKPILE ROOM.

After those main three, I sic the miners at the other direction to make a topside living quarters of 2x3 rooms, with places for studies. This allows positive thoughts and warms up my producers.

After that, the Exploratory mining stages. After some foresight, I now am planning to set up burrows to make the first migrant of the first wave a dedicated "Stone Blocksman"; they will be making the excess stone into handy construction blocks, making my bridges quick to build and handle the next project....

Phase 4: MILITARY PREPARATIONS. Now that you got a big stonking expanse in a pretty shallow z-level, why not dedicate it to a military zone? Lots of room for an armory, archery training hall, a hospital near the stairs, and for morale, a fine statue garden with natural walls specifically for detailing honorable acts in the future!
I forgot about some of the stuff I brought for moods this embark.
[Image: 0c14f57b19.png]
The keapeople, however, did not. Grimm and frostbitten