Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIVE SURGERY TABLES MOBILITY
I guess that's a fancier way of saying make it possible to move them around.

As it stands now one bomb can render medbay nigh useless. Letting people move the tables around would let the doctors remodel another room into a makeshift surgery room, or let people do surgery gimmicks anywhere on the station or off station. Since stealing the tables would be rude, maybe a spare table could be placed in an unused storage room.

I remember there being a method of doing surgery on people on an real table if they're in crit, but critting someone just to remove a bullet just seems kind of irresponsible and a waste of perfectly good brute patches, and might be kinda screwy for a medborg to beat someone with a fire extinguisher just to remove a bullet.

Maybe make it so that a doctor (plus maybe security and the detective) can slide their ID onto the table to unlock it, then move the table, slide the ID again, and then the table is in it's normal locked form. That solves the problem of the wrong people stealing or spacing the tables, and it tells doctors that they're free to move the surgery tables without having other people screw with them or steal them.

I assume this could be paired with the suggestion to add Medbay checkpoints to destiny, since you could have a normal table and only move the surgery table there when you need to.

I get that there's a few extra surgery tables around, but a way to move them around for gimmicks and remodeling just seems more fun.

Also I probably shouldn't have used all caps for the title, but I wanted the title to be short, sweet, and catchy.
You can already scan and mass produce surgery tables.

Making it mobile will make it really, really easy to kill people with on-the-go-surgery.

edit : to add, you don't need to CRIT someone to do surgery on them on a normal table. You just need them to *faint while you operate on them.
(10-11-2016, 09:37 PM)Zafhset Wrote: You can already scan and mass produce surgery tables.

Making it mobile will make it really, really easy to kill people with on-the-go-surgery.

edit : to add, you don't need to CRIT someone to do surgery on them on a normal table. You just need them to *faint while you operate on them.

This just means they already are mobile, they just take some work! Would be nice to have a gurney though. Can't operate on it but you can strap someone down...and push them around the station!
Can't you already drag them around with that trick? Though I don't think it's a well known one.

I'm actually not against them being drag-able; just introduce a speed penalty to the actor or something. Or make the conversion require a higher level grab to surgery-table somebody. Whatever. I've been moving all day. Tired and stuff.

When somebody needs to be delinged or something I just choke em out and cut em' open with a piece of glass or whatever. Anything more than emergency should probably be done in a dedicated medical bay.

Ahah! Cognitive dissonance! I have... arrived. "Whatever. I've been moving all day. Tired and stuff." - Off to make a few more weird posts and then go to unsleep.
I legitimately had plans to have a go at spriting this some time this week... creepy.

[Image: uBmahGz.jpg]

I was going to call it a "Trauma Table."
Can't you actually do surgery on roller beds?
Drag an IV stand to a roller bed / unsecured chair then drag the IV stand combination to an operating table to make it mobile. If you want to drop it off, drag the IV stand to the operating table.
(10-12-2016, 09:42 AM)Arborinus Wrote: Drag an IV stand to a roller bed / unsecured chair then drag the IV stand combination to an operating table to make it mobile. If you want to drop it off, drag the IV stand to the operating table.

You can attach IV stands to operating tables?

Well, i know what I'M doing next time i have a traitor round.
Long time ago saw someone with a mobile surgery table.

I can confirm that it's sole use was surgery murder, via stun then debraining.
Id be ok with mobile tables if they have a LARGE failure chance multiplier compared to normal ones, outside of purely beneficial things like removing shrapnel
Mobile operating tables, if implemented, should have a chance of slipping and having you fall on your own tools, rather than failing and hurting the person on the table.
People should be able to go on any table for surgery. And roboticists should be able to move the tables too.
Wiki Wrote:Alternatively, some operations can be performed on people buckled to a bed. Because it doesn't encompass certain essentials such as limb reattachment, you may want to use a regular table instead, which requires the patient to be unconscious, for example by breathing N2O. Should proper tools be unavailable, shards and chainsaws may be substituted for scalpels and saws respectively, but there are of course certain risks involved with back alley surgery. Likewise, a significant amount of liquid courage is a must before you can perform self-surgery without an operating table.

I'm against this idea for balancing reasons. The big bull in the room is that it will just be dragged behind to go on a debraining rampage. 
But also you can already operate on people buckled to a bed, such as removing shrapnel and the lark (not alot of people know this, at all), but the ol' operate on yourself hack isn't comparable with bed surgery so I can see why it didn't catch on, *cough  Raising Eyebrow
This has worked for me on numerous occasions when someone has been headspidered, grab a glass shard, buckle them to a bed and remove. 
It's not that they need to be in crit, it's that they need to be unconscious. Another trick that people seem to forget. Hooked up to n20 or tased into unconsciousness both work for surgery.

Not many people trust n20 as it's cumbersome. It's extremely useful (and almost necessary now with hypo/hyper tension) when doing extensive surgery such as robotics. 

The one thing that isnt used as much as it should is morphine. It's due to the addiction/knockout rate and how addiction is essentially coded, that it rolls a 50:50 chance of getting a crippling addiction for every tick (I think?) that it's in your system. Essentially relegating morphine to pure grief chem rather than being actually used for a medical purpose. It should work as a painkiller in tiny amounts 1-2u, a knockout chem for backyard surgery in medium amounts, 10u and a low overdose at 15u so you'll need to be careful. Honestly the addiction just friggin ruins it serving any purpose at all.
(10-12-2016, 12:35 PM)Sundance Wrote: The one thing that isnt used as much as it should is morphine. It's due to the addiction/knockout rate and how addiction is essentially coded, that it rolls a 50:50 chance of getting a crippling addiction for every tick (I think?) that it's in your system. Essentially relegating morphine to pure grief chem rather than being actually used for a medical purpose. It should work as a painkiller in tiny amounts 1-2u, a knockout chem for backyard surgery in medium amounts, 10u and a low overdose at 15u so you'll need to be careful. Honestly the addiction just friggin ruins it serving any purpose at all.

Why not painkiller 5 and below, with how syringes work?
But addiction is something that def should be overhauled all around. The lessening symptoms of nicotine and caffeine was a nice step in that direction.
(10-12-2016, 06:42 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Can't you actually do surgery on roller beds?

Yes.  You can do regular surgery on both beds and roller beds, they get the same check as regular surgery tables.  That means you don't need your patient to be unconscious to do surgery on a bed, same as an OP table.

So we don't need mobile OP tables, we already have them.

(please don't make me have to remove easy bed surgery by being a puke with it, tia)