Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quality of Life Improvements to Chem Dispenser
Lightbulb 
1.) Allow user to change default amount of reagent added to beaker. 

Currently set at 10 units. Artifact beakers can hold 15,000 units. It takes 1500 clicks to fill an artifact beaker. 

If filling large beakers to do reactions in Reagent Extractor storage tanks, it takes 10 clicks to fill a beaker with a single reagent. 

2.a) Move beaker reagents below reagent list.

Currently when reagent is added to beaker, beaker reagents appear above reagent list. This moves each reagent in the list down a line every time a different reagent is added. Clicking quickly will typically add two different reagents to the beaker. 

2.b) Split reagent list into two columns.

With beaker reagents below reagent list having reagent list in two columns would allow for Chem Dispenser window height to be shortened some. 

[Image: EucCw0k.jpg]
I've been working on in-game interfaces and Somepotato started to make a framework to implement them, but it all stopped. This was Chemistry prototype: http://codepen.io/bartorex/full/NrGEzg/
I like 2 and 3. #1 would be OP. I'd like to suggest that, instead. QM be allowed to order reagent tanks, which are like welding tanks, except for basic reagents instead of welding fuel.
(10-10-2016, 01:47 AM)Grek Wrote: I like 2 and 3. #1 would be OP. I'd like to suggest that, instead. QM be allowed to order reagent tanks, which are like welding tanks, except for basic reagents instead of welding fuel.

How would 1 be OP? It's not like it isn't something you can do already, it's just a quality of life change to reduce the chance of getting an RSI.

(10-09-2016, 11:30 PM)Rocket Wrote: I've been working on in-game interfaces and Somepotato started to make a framework to implement them, but it all stopped. This was Chemistry prototype: http://codepen.io/bartorex/full/NrGEzg/

This looks absolutely amazing and i want it so much.
(10-10-2016, 02:44 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(10-10-2016, 01:47 AM)Grek Wrote: I like 2 and 3. #1 would be OP. I'd like to suggest that, instead. QM be allowed to order reagent tanks, which are like welding tanks, except for basic reagents instead of welding fuel.

How would 1 be OP? It's not like it isn't something you can do already, it's just a quality of life change to reduce the chance of getting an RSI.

As I've seen before, part of the balancing for chem is the time needed to synthesize them. I'd be all for, say, a 50 and 100 unit dispensing option on a 2 or 3 second timer since those are solid, even numbers that you'd be able to get to in the same amount of time rapidly clicking. Being able to specifically get, say, 33.333333333 units of whatever to most efficiently use all your chemicals and not have to filter out unnecessary chems isn't something I'd like though. It's the difference between saving clicks and actively making chemistry more efficient/ easier from a synthesis/purifying standpoint
(10-10-2016, 05:45 AM)cyberTripping Wrote:

As I've seen before, part of the balancing for chem is the time needed to synthesize them. I'd be all for, say, a 50 and 100 unit dispensing option on a 2 or 3 second timer since those are solid, even numbers that you'd be able to get to in the same amount of time rapidly clicking. Being able to specifically get, say, 33.333333333 units of whatever to most efficiently use all your chemicals and not have to filter out unnecessary chems isn't something I'd like though. It's the difference between saving clicks and actively making chemistry more efficient/ easier from a synthesis/purifying standpoint

i was gonna suggest a timer for dispensing larger amounts of chems but totally forgot. i think this would be a fine balance.

(10-09-2016, 11:30 PM)Rocket Wrote: I've been working on in-game interfaces and Somepotato started to make a framework to implement them, but it all stopped. This was Chemistry prototype: http://codepen.io/bartorex/full/NrGEzg/

This looks absolutely amazing and i want it so much.

Holy fuck, that looks awesome! This is exactly what I wanted.

Love the UI, but I'm still massively against being able to inject large quantities of reagents, even if they're multiples of 10. Yes, filling an artbeaker with your chem of choice is an absolute chore, but the quantities involved are absurd anyway. If you want 4,000 units of insert-chem-here I really think you should have to work for it.

The real benefit of artbeakers (other than the chems that come in them) is that you simply don't have to worry about capacity in any real terms. Want 2,000 units of styptic powder to make a box of 50 patches? That'll be 50 clicks of aluminium, 75 clicks of hydrogen, 75 clicks of oxygen, and 25 clicks of sulfur. Is that a lot? Sure, but that's enough styptic to last you an entire round (in theory...) and cutting that down to 10% of those clicks (22.5 instead of 225) seems way too easy for my liking.

Regarding the groups, I might be okay with you able to define up to 10 reagents to insert in 10 unit chunks (so you could do 80 units of styptic powder as: aluminium;aluminium;hydrogen;hydrogen;hydrogen;oxygen;oxygen;oxygen;sulfur). I realise that this arguably boils down to similar to the above, but it limits the possibilities rather than straight-up multiplying efficiency.

Still love the rest of the UI, though, so kudos for that.
You guys know you can use the mechanical dropper to transfer small amounts of chems, right?
(10-10-2016, 10:36 AM)Arborinus Wrote: You guys know you can use the mechanical dropper to transfer small amounts of chems, right?

Yeah, but this is more for large amounts of chems.
I'd be of a differing view to mordent, I don't really see a problem in increasing amount of dispensed chemical, it'd just be a QoL life thing with normal beakers, but with artbeakers it becomes a balancing problem. So the suspect here is the crazy amount in artbeakers, not the system.
I like erasing tedium in gameplay mechanics. Having to mash the buttons again and again and again for something I need in a hurry (see: batch healing, salt to fight wraiths because every other method of getting salt is FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE) is tedious. If the single dividing factor in preventing chem from being OP is that, then maybe looking at how easy is to make nightmarish fire and explosions is worth something.

EDIT: Even just making it possible to have one click count for two or three or five or whatever would be better. Cut the horrific bone grinding tedium so we can encourage people to actually be helpful with chemistry