Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Weaker Hamdcuffs for Staff Assistant
I've noticed that to get handcuffs, you need a sec ID. And this, along with flashes and tasers, are why security gets raided so much. So I offer a counter to handcuffs, cable ties. Cable ties would function just like normal handcuffs, only they are weaker. They take less time to get out of and they fall off after a certain amount of time. Cable ties could be used by anyone as they would be in general fabricators. However, with the new feature of holding someone at gun point, staff assistants will find a nice way to compliment their Zip Guns.
(10-08-2016, 07:07 PM)MagicStudiosGuy Wrote: I've noticed that to get handcuffs, you need a sec ID. And this, along with flashes and tasers, are why security gets raided so much.

For what reason should we make it easier for these "raiders" to get what they want? That line of thought is akin to giving everyone all access so that they won't have to break-in to any department.

Regardless, arming the crew with pseudo cuffs sounds like a terrible, terrible idea. It is already easy enough to procure a pair as it is right now.
Only if the clown gets a set of banana shackles.

And honestly, getting a set of handcuffs is already super easy. Just punch beepsky and ask someone to remove the cuffs. Easy!
Exactly. You can get them multiple ways. Security, Venders, Securitrons and Buddies. But this takes the want for better handcuffs in exchange for weaker handcuffs. Straight Jackets are much better than handcuffs and since it is better, there are very few on the station. The ties go backwards. Less powerful, but easier to get.
Handcuffs in the hands of a bad guy are basically a cheap permastun. Once you pull someone they're freezetagged until you decide to show mercy.
(10-08-2016, 07:42 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Handcuffs in the hands of a bad guy are basically a cheap permastun. Once you pull someone they're freezetagged until you decide to show mercy.

Yeah, if you drag someone while they're cuffed they are somehow physically incapable of moving away from you in any capacity. At all! And dragging them will interrupt their uncuffing process, meaning they are rat fucked unless Sec manages to catch you doing this or you get bored. I hear at least one coder is considering changing that, however, because it's not especially sensible or fun.
on the one hand, binding someone with for example some cable coil is entirely possible and realistic. tight winds of metal wire are a nuisance to break out of. but naturally people are leery of it due to gameplay considerations. handcuffs are functionally just an extension of stun2win and entrusting basically everyone on the station with them could have significant repercussions.

i guess it could be worth experimenting with, if adjustments such as the aforementioned dragging are addressed, and that we're all clear that if it turns out to suck it should be revoked post haste
What if cable cuffs didn't do the drag = no actions thing?
I was kind of hoping that this was going to suggest that Staff Assistants got a bonus to breaking out of handcuffs faster cause they are slimy little bastards....

That being said there's always duct tape if you want impromptu cuffs.
It's kind of silly to suggest duct tape as 'impromptu' cuffs, given that it's a traitor-only item that's actually less common than regular handcuffs as a result.
(10-08-2016, 09:48 PM)Grek Wrote: What if cable cuffs didn't do the drag = no actions thing?
Something like that is what I was thinking. They can be taken off in 10-20 seconds and either you can't drag with them or the fall off around a minute after they are put on. When taken off, they are broken and cannot be used again. This is where staff assistants do their job if security has them. Bother sec until they stop.
Tie it into materials science.

Most people will be lazy and make cable cuffs out of the cheapest materials on the station so the cuffs are guaranteed to be easy to escape from and incredibly shoddy. In fact, sell cable cuffs made of slag.
*stretch can have a chance of breaking them. 100% chance if you have musculature enhancement.
(10-09-2016, 10:03 AM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: *stretch can have a chance of breaking them.  100% chance if you have musculature enhancement.

Yeah. The handcuffs can be more of a novelty and we can watch staff assistants think they have power but then someone breaks free and tases them and spaces them.
(10-09-2016, 03:17 AM)Roomba Wrote: It's kind of silly to suggest duct tape as 'impromptu' cuffs, given that it's a traitor-only item that's actually less common than regular handcuffs as a result.

I was mentioning them as an example precisely because they already exist. Yeah, it's rare and traitor-only but we've already got two forms of cuffs.