Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Split thermals into several variations
Instead of having one type of vision goggles that catches antags reliably, split it into several variants that can catch different antags

Thermals: Display all living people as rainbow silhouettes (like real thermals) can't detect corpses, undead, or anyone trapped in a block of ice.  Certain projectiles like lasers or fireballs also show up.  No longer vulnerable to flashes.

Heartbeat sensor: only detects living people, can see character's stamina.  Stamina bar is color coded depending on whether that character has an organic or cyber heart.  Medborgs would start with heartbeat sensors

x-ray vision: can see through walls, everything with bones shows up as skeletons.  Shambling abominations, blobs, and golems would be invisible.

Night vision: see in the dark with a greenish tint.  Vampires are invisible.  vulnerable to flashes.

Motion tracker: can see anything that moves...until it stops moving

Optical meson scanners: can see cyborgs (and humans with prosthetics) through walls.  Examine a cyborg while wearing meson scanners and get a list of every module they're carrying.  Antags can "flash" the wearer with an emag.
Yes. More glasses to see more. And a change to x-ray vision too? Even more yes.
Maybe make these as separate attachments as suggested in that other goggle edit thread
I, honestly, do not see why thermals need to be nerfed anymore, considering they already lost the ability to see players through walls and the current lighting system renders any and all items that improve night vision completely useless. Really, right now the only reason to even use thermals is if you already know there is a turbonerd cloaker running around. Thermals should be kept as they are, or given their wallhack vision back before we talk about nerfing them.
Were the wallhacky version able to see what the person looked like, perfectly? What if it was like drone-vision? Then the detective wouldn't know if he was jumping the criminal or the captain, leading to some funny moments.
I would let them see normal players perfectly, but apply drone-vision to cloakers or people behind walls. Cloakers already have an overlay on them when viewed through thermals anyway. Applying drone-vision to everyone would just result in them be even more neglected than they already are.
That's exactly what I was talking about. Have wall-blocked people be drone-vision.
Ah, okay.
Someone suggested letting you forensic scan things from a distance with them on examine, which I think would be a pretty nice thing to add at the moment.
Suggestion for goggle type

Binoculars: for "surveillance", Look down long hallways for crimes out of sight of the crimers. Get robbed because you wanted to do a drug bust and didn't check your six for would be thieves because you were too busy stalking botany with binoculars. Steal a pair from security to go explore the mining belt much easier.
Remember that people can only bother to carry so many items at once - if faced with half a dozen choices of eyewear with very similar effects, most officers will just pick sunglasses because of flash immunity.
how about a button that lets goggles switch between various modes, if youre really insistent on it

do people still use thermals these days? do people even still bother to steal the thermals these days?
(10-08-2016, 01:08 AM)misto Wrote: how about a button that lets goggles switch between various modes, if youre really insistent on it

do people still use thermals these days? do people even still bother to steal the thermals these days?

I only rarely see the thermals stolen if the person takes a cloaker, which seems to be a rare choice in itself. They're worse than useless at this point.
I see the thermals stolen by cloakers and by the time anyone knows there's a cloaker no one has thermals and they're not useful other than that so there you go.
I'd like to see thermals as a heat-signature thing more than anything, with warm areas and bodies showing up as bright spots in your vision. Probably with an on/off switch to switch between thermal vision and regular sight .

They would be wonderful for spotting people sneaking around in maintenance, as a moving heat signature would be easy to identify as a player, but go near the engine or a burn chamber and the thermal bloom would make it differentiate between the heat sources. People wanting privacy might want to hide their heat signature by standing in the heat radiating off the engine or around toxins.

It would add another dimension to using thermals to find cloakers. With the on/off switch, the thermals user would need to rapidly switch between their views, trying to sort out the cloakers heat signature from other players, whilst the cloaker tries to shake off their pursuer by diving into an area with high background heat. This would seem to be far better than the current state where cloakers can be completely neutralized by thermals