Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow Chaplain to Communicate with Ghosts More
(10-07-2016, 02:29 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 10:28 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: What if the Chaplain could only hear them in a specific place like his office or the Secret Room, so he wouldn't be able to act on that information without cutting off his ability to hear them? Then they'd be like "NO WAIT YOU FOOL" as he sprints out with (wrong) information

actually I feel like it could easily be used to troll the chaplain into killing random people too

The confession booth?

Maybe... I still like the idea that theres always a chance the chaplain can hear the ghosts. Maybe the Chaplain can only see ghosts in a certain radius of the alter like mentioned above.
(10-06-2016, 09:45 AM)MagicStudiosGuy Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 09:36 AM)salix_catus Wrote: An altar that can be altered.
things you can do with alter:
pray in front of it(functions same as admin-prayer)
critter corpses can be dragged onto it, for offerings
people corpses too, though they are rejected as offerings if you have a good god.
people can be dragged onto it, a la operating table
sick people may be dragged onto it in order to heal poisons and radiation

As a chaplain your altar can have reagents/materials added to it to change your god (can only be done once)

Discover what can be added
IE pizza for pizza god, ai board for machine god, ectoplasm for Ghost god, which enables all ghosts veiwable by everyone in the chapel

as a traitor chaplain,
You can sacrifice people using a sacrificial knife (7Tc works like cyalume saber only more gory (increased blood spray) and more obvious
turning the altar into a Blood altar (Blood for the blood god)
which then gains a thirst for blood and will grant you evil powers, not sure what powers.
This is a great idea but for the traitor chaplain, the blood thirst is a little too close to the devilish briefcase. Maybe an anti-vampire for the altar? Reversed abilities of a vampire.

(10-07-2016, 04:04 AM)MagicStudiosGuy Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 02:29 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 10:28 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: What if the Chaplain could only hear them in a specific place like his office or the Secret Room, so he wouldn't be able to act on that information without cutting off his ability to hear them? Then they'd be like "NO WAIT YOU FOOL" as he sprints out with (wrong) information

actually I feel like it could easily be used to troll the chaplain into killing random people too

The confession booth?

Maybe... I still like the idea that theres always a chance the chaplain can hear the ghosts. Maybe the Chaplain can only see ghosts in a certain radius of the alter like mentioned above.
I liked the idea of having an altar you could modify into different variants. TBH mixing this idea with the chaplain domains idea would be perfect.
I have to agree with Ed Venture here for the balancing respect. In terms of balance, it's a god awful idea to let the chaplain communicate with ghosts at all time for almost any reason. Maybe that can be fit into a traitor item of some sort. But so much metagaming would occur, it's not worth it. With the whole "invisible area" idea, I really don't see how this could work at all. Not in game terms at least. Would the area just be there and random people can bump into it if they can't see it? Does it not exist to anyone who doesn't have the goggles? Where the hell would it be? It feels like an interesting idea to have a "ghost lobby" or an area the ghosts can play games in while they wait, but that doesn't sound like a great way to implement it. As for the rituals you suggested, conducting an orchestra sounds like a stupid "ritual", rather maybe we should just allow Ghosts to interact with instruments like the Organ, it can't be used for metagaming purposes and it's still a fun little idea. You can already set up chairs in the chapel, and ask the ghosts to spin them to "communicate" with them, there's no need to implement a feature for that. Stuff like "summoning rituals" should most likely be locked to admin intervention, to be honest. I don't see how it would work well otherwise. And once again with the "all humans can hear ghosts" thing, absolutely not, the last thing we ever need is that level of metagaming. Maybe while inside the chapel the chaplain may see random ghosts flickering in and out of reality or have a higher chance of hearing them, but otherwise not really.
(10-12-2016, 12:31 PM)Totheark Wrote: I have to agree with Ed Venture here for the balancing respect. In terms of balance, it's a god awful idea to let the chaplain communicate with ghosts at all time for almost any reason. Maybe that can be fit into a traitor item of some sort. But so much metagaming would occur, it's not worth it. With the whole "invisible area" idea, I really don't see how this could work at all. Not in game terms at least. Would the area just be there and random people can bump into it if they can't see it? Does it not exist to anyone who doesn't have the goggles? Where the hell would it be? It feels like an interesting idea to have a "ghost lobby" or an area the ghosts can play games in while they wait, but that doesn't sound like a great way to implement it. As for the rituals you suggested, conducting an orchestra sounds like a stupid "ritual", rather maybe we should just allow Ghosts to interact with instruments like the Organ, it can't be used for metagaming purposes and it's still a fun little idea. You can already set up chairs in the chapel, and ask the ghosts to spin them to "communicate" with them, there's no need to implement a feature for that. Stuff like "summoning rituals" should most likely be locked to admin intervention, to be honest. I don't see how it would work well otherwise. And once again with the "all humans can hear ghosts" thing, absolutely not, the last thing we ever need is that level of metagaming. Maybe while inside the chapel the chaplain may see random ghosts flickering in and out of reality or have a higher chance of hearing them, but otherwise not really.

I never said rituals. Ever. You are reading what you want to read. What I originally suggested had nothing to do with hearing. You could see them and hear gimmicky things like instruments. But upon thinking, i thought, this will never be implamented, have fun. Its supposed to be taken lightly. You don't have to say everything is bad. The others are suggesting other ideas instead of some I have thought of. Its not then saying it sucks, its them saying this is cool, however, what about this?
just make it so it works like the changeling hivemind that can disable certain ghosts from talking

or make them cycle through

ie

ghost 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 get to talk to the chaplain for a couple minutes before being cycled out and then ghosts 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 get to talk and so on and so forth
You can actually communicate a fair amount of information with ouija boards, and even when information is lost it's fun to watch the chaplain work with incomplete info anyway. It's just that few people ever bother to dig it out because it's in a crate in the chaplain's office that the chaplain often forgets to check. Maybe it might see more use if it were lying around in the open again.
I've seen several antagonists get caught using the ouija board. The chaplain doesn't need a better method of talking to ghosts.

I think any ghost talking should be limited to things which can't convey information, and are only useful for gimmicks.