Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions about the z-levels and the loot crates
Hey, so I decided to explore outside of the station itself and adventure into the debris field and the z-levels.

I've been investigating about what can I find exploring the space, what kind of critters I have to be prepared for and I started to go on and explore. So here are my questions:

-Some special items and weapons (such as the old hunting rifle) are supposedly found in surplus craters. Are those crates the same ones that you find exploring the z-levels? (The military ones, the oranges, black, etc which are code locked)

-Can you pry open certain doors and air locks from z-levels with crowbars or toolboxes?

-Any extra tips before I try to explore more? (An possibly going to the adventure zone in the future).

Thanks from beforehand!
(10-06-2016, 06:51 AM)Riffhunter Wrote: Hey, so I decided to explore outside of the station itself and adventure into the debris field and the z-levels.

I've been investigating about what can I find exploring the space, what kind of critters I have to be prepared for and I started to go on and explore. So here are my questions:

-Some special items and weapons (such as the old hunting rifle) are supposedly found in surplus craters. Are those crates the same ones that you find exploring the z-levels? (The military ones, the oranges, black, etc which are code locked)

-Can you pry open certain doors and air locks from z-levels with crowbars or toolboxes?

-Any extra tips before I try to explore more? (An possibly going to the adventure zone in the future).

Thanks from beforehand!

1. No, those are different surplus crates that are ordered via the syndicate uplink, although the crates out in the debris field do have chances to contain things like the voltron and those weird communication bracelets. But there usually isn't much of value in them, we need to improve that.

2. Quite a few of the doors on the different z levels can be crowbarred open if the power is out, however some can't. The ones that can't are almost universally called "rusted airlocks" so thats a good way to tell.

As far as tips go? I would recommend bringing weapons with you, a phaser can deal with most of the enemies in the Z levels without much difficulty but are kind of rubbish compared to things like the captains egun, or even a repaired antique laser. 

There is one type of enemy out there which requires a stun baton to dispatch with any great speed called a transposed particle field, so you may want to consider bringing one of those too.

If you can, you should always adventure with a partner. If you die out there and no-one is with you, your round is basically over.

Also, mining drills are ludicrously effective weapons, so steal some for your pod from the old mining outpost. And use an industrial pod if you can find one.

Start with the easier adventure zones, if i were you i would go Moon Museum, Catmandu, Mars Outpost, Meat Station, The Void, The Lava Moon, Biodome, The Ice Moon and lastly, The Solarium. Not because The Solarium adventure zone is particularly difficult, mind, but because it requires a lot of stuff from other adventure zones.

Oh, and one last thing. If you do go to the adventure zones, don't try to use the wizards phase shift spell or synchronised biomass manipulation. You will explode.
Surplus Crates are a traitor item which costs 10 crystals and gives you an assortment of random traitor gear. They are not the same thing as the debris field crates.

You can hack most doors with a combination of screwdriver, crowbar and either wirecutters or multitool. Some doors (especially in telescience areas) can't be hacked like that.

For safety, see if you can't get the Port-a-Sci and Port-a-Med programs (or the physical remotes) before going on an adventure. They let you send items (or yourself) home and obtain medicine on the go respectively. If you can't, just bring a bunch of medicine and remember that you can always come back if it looks iffy.
Bring friends. If you die on adventure without friends, only random adventurers can save you. If you bring friends, they can bring you back before you become rotten and clone/borg/SR you.
At the very least, I would recommend getting scanned in the cloner and letting some of the medical staff know you intend to seek out adventure. In the event that you die, you're already scanned and now people know they can just clone you without finding your body.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help from others.

PS: nearly every time that I've happened across a fellow explorer in the debris field, they've been an antag who proceeds to murder me. Always keep your guard up.
Thanks everyone for the answers, they've been really helpful!

Regarding the topic of surplus crates again, I know that in traitor rounds and nuclear operatives you have the ability to get traitor only items such as the revolver, shotgun or other goodies. But are things such as the hunting rifle or the laser one acquired in some specific way not involving the PDA? Are they only for nuke ops? Sorry if this question is a bit noobish, but I'm a bit lost here, thanks again!
(10-06-2016, 08:52 AM)Riffhunter Wrote: Thanks everyone for the answers, they've been really helpful!

Regarding the topic of surplus crates again, I know that in traitor rounds and nuclear operatives you have the ability to get traitor only items such as the revolver, shotgun or other goodies. But are things such as the hunting rifle or the laser one acquired in some specific way not involving the PDA? Are they only for nuke ops? Sorry if this question is a bit noobish, but I'm a bit lost here, thanks again!

The laser rifle and the hunting rifle are MOSTLY only obtainable via syndie surplus crates.

HOWEVER.

There IS an old hunting rifle out in the adventure zone somewhere, and the MDs tranq rifle is capable of chambering the hunting rifles ammo, so you can stick hunting rifle bullets into it and use it as one.
The hunting rifle can be found in one of the adventure zones (I'll leave you to discover which one in your travels) and the MD's tranq gun also works as a hunting rifle if they happen to get hunting rifle ammo. Laser/phaser guns can occasionally be found in locked safes out in space and locked crates sometimes, I think.

fake edit: bah, beaten
(10-06-2016, 08:54 AM)aranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 08:52 AM)Riffhunter Wrote: Thanks everyone for the answers, they've been really helpful!

The laser rifle and the hunting rifle are MOSTLY only obtainable via syndie surplus crates.

HOWEVER.

There IS an old hunting rifle out in the adventure zone somewhere, and the MDs tranq rifle is capable of chambering the hunting rifles ammo, so you can stick hunting rifle bullets into it and use it as one.

Huh so the tranq rifle can chamber the same rounds... Are the .308 rounds bought from the vendor at the listening outpost? And what I intended to ask about the surplus crates is if they are bought via uplink or some other way. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I got a bit confused looking for an answer at the wiki.
Yeah, the hunting rifle is acquired via one of the adventure zone areas (hint: it's the one with all the plant life). The laser guns are a little rarer, but one way I think you can get them is by rummaging in the crevices in the martian ship, although that's rather risky. Neither are available to nuke ops. You can find various high-level weapons and gear throughout the adventure zone and debris field, you just need to know where to look.

One piece of advice when exploring in pods: make sure you aren't followed. Drones can chase you for a surprisingly long distance, and they will wreck parked pods, leaving you stranded. Try to get rid of drones rather than running away. Always carry at least an emergency suit and a fire extinguisher, which you can use to propel yourself home.

There are loads of traders scattered throughout the various station and debris field Z levels, some of which carry parts to upgrade your pod. Installing a locking mechanism on your pod is always a good idea, as unattended pods tend to get stolen even in the depths of space

If you ever see me in game, I'd be happy to use the teleporter to show you a few of the adventure zone areas. I'm usually under the name Urist Tannhauser.

EDIT: Darn, double beaten
(10-06-2016, 09:09 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: There are loads of traders scattered throughout the various station and debris field Z levels, some of which carry parts to upgrade your pod. Installing a locking mechanism on your pod is always a good idea, as unattended pods tend to get stolen even in the depths of space
Honestly some of the best stuff you can get with credits are from these merchants, also, no pod is sacred, *podjacks the wiznerd*
Thank you all for the responses. I still have one more question, for which I maybe get yelled at so let me apologize before hand :__). How do I know what is a syndicate surplus crate and how do I obtain it? In the uplink the only available options are the same for traitors and nuke ops, but there are some items listed in the syndicate surplus crates that are not available.
(10-06-2016, 12:31 PM)Riffhunter Wrote: Thank you all for the responses. I still have one more question, for which I maybe get yelled at so let me apologize before hand :__). How do I know what is a syndicate surplus crate and how do I obtain it? In the uplink the only available options are the same for traitors and nuke ops, but there are some items listed in the syndicate surplus crates that are not available.

Surplus crates are essentially a randomize button for traitor items. They can be obtained definitely via Traitor PDA's and MAYBE ( I don't remember) by Nuke Op's uplinks, where they appear as a purchasing option marked "surplus crate". This is the only way to obtain them.

Surplus crates contain a random assortment of traitor items, some of which are unique to the surplus crate and cannot be gotten normally. They cost 12 telecrystals (I.E: All of em) and are used as a way to spice up a traitor round by taking away the element of choice of items, and having to cope with whatever the crate brings you.

If you're seeing traitor items that are listed on the wiki that are not on your uplink, chances are they're job-specific traitor items that are available when a traitor starts in a specific job-role, like medical doctor or scientist.

You might be confusing surplus crates with the secure crates found around the debris field, which are password locked crates that exist to provide loot to enterprising scavengers.
(10-06-2016, 12:44 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 12:31 PM)Riffhunter Wrote: Thank you all for the responses. I still have one more question, for which I maybe get yelled at so let me apologize before hand :__). How do I know what is a syndicate surplus crate and how do I obtain it? In the uplink the only available options are the same for traitors and nuke ops, but there are some items listed in the syndicate surplus crates that are not available.

Surplus crates are essentially a randomize button for traitor items. They can be obtained definitely via Traitor PDA's and MAYBE ( I don't remember) by Nuke Op's uplinks, where they appear as a purchasing option marked "surplus crate". This is the only way to obtain them.

Surplus crates contain a random assortment of traitor items, some of which are unique to the surplus crate and cannot be gotten normally. They cost 12 telecrystals (I.E: All of em) and are used as a way to spice up a traitor round by taking away the element of choice of items, and having to cope with whatever the crate brings you.

If you're seeing traitor items that are listed on the wiki that are not on your uplink, chances are they're job-specific traitor items that are available when a traitor [Image: default_avatar.png]starts in a specific job-role, like medical doctor or scientist.

You might be confusing surplus crates with the secure crates found around the debris field, which are password locked crates that exist to provide loot to enterprising scavengers.

I see, at first I was confusing them with the secure ones because I thought they would require you to explore and find them. Thanks for the quick response, I have everything I needed to know now!