Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghostdrone RCDs
Ignoring the whole "constructed walls are made from sand" problem, since the introduction of ghost drones to LLJK1 I've noticed a few instances of them being little shits and making random hull breaches.

I guess my question here is "why do they need to be able to remove floors"? At the very least, I can't see any real reason for it with regards to the existing station floors. Ones they later add as part of a new area, maybe that'd be worth being able to remove...

Essentially looking for discussion on: what are the advantages to being able to? What are the advantages to not being able to?

I'd give cyborg RCDs leeway, as they can actually have laws that make venting areas possible/sensible.
Little shitty ghostdrones removing the floors, here is an advice for you: Anyone who sees you doing it can ahelp it and I bet you don't want to know the consequences.
There is no good reason to vent the floors even during a fire, as it is against your laws.
the most utility i can think of for floor removing, besides the obvious fire/gas venting and some engine setups, applies mostly to exterior construction projects ie you find that a room you placed is now in the way of the crate-flingers that ring the station, or you find youve accidentally blocked qm's shipping and receiving crate-fling paths, and must take steps to correct this.

so, if we all agree that drones shouldnt be using the rcd to make fancy engine setups or vent out fire, and you really think that it is feasible in code to force ghost drones to play friendly with the station's default floorplan, i can bring no objections.
When I drone I use it as an eraser. I often mess up in floor/wall placement for projects and other things.

That puts me in the 'ahelp em' group. They're breaking their laws. Lacking common sense is crime.
(10-02-2016, 06:24 AM)misto Wrote: ...and you really think that it is feasible in code to force ghost drones to play friendly with the station's default floorplan, i can bring no objections.

I think this could be done by whitelisting areas that you are allowed to remove floor in (so space is the obvious one, which means the existing ship/station cannot have flooring removed). Attempts to do so could come with a "this floor is part of the original blueprints" message or similar.

(10-02-2016, 08:22 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: When I drone I use it as an eraser. I often mess up in floor/wall placement for projects and other things.

That puts me in the 'ahelp em' group. They're breaking their laws. Lacking common sense is crime.

I'm totally cool with keeping wall-removing functionality. Yes, this means they could go to the edge of the station/ship and just work their way in, but the breach is at least more controlled and easier to track down, plus it stops just randomly breaching in the middle of a department.
Just ahelp naughty drones. There's a drone ban button.
(10-02-2016, 09:44 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Just ahelp naughty drones. There's a drone ban button.

I do. There's not always an admin on, and by then the damage is also done, potentially ruining the round for some people.

Essentially, other than the coding (and thus time/effort) aspect of this, do you see any downsides to not allowing drones to remove the original station/ship floors?
You might need to remove floors and walls if you're redesigning something though. Like, you add a whole new wing near escape and want to get rid of the wall that would normally expose the area to space, but now just opens up the new room you built.
(10-02-2016, 10:00 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: You might need to remove floors and walls if you're redesigning something though. Like, you add a whole new wing near escape and want to get rid of the wall that would normally expose the area to space, but now just opens up the new room you built.

I think Mordent is only suggesting that the ability to remove the floors of the station be removed, not the walls and stuff.
(10-02-2016, 10:02 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: I think Mordent is only suggesting that the ability to remove the floors of the station be removed, not the walls and stuff.

Correct.
Ahelps are sent to an IRC channel, no admin on the server =/= no admin to respond. Esp. if they can check logs in some capacity. Being prompt allows them to respond before a round ends if possible.
I'm still not seeing how any of this prevents the griefing itself. It's reactive, not proactive.

This obviously isn't a replacement to adminhelp-ing drones being turds, it's just a way to alleviate it slightly. There's still plenty of other ways, but if you can make it a little harder for no apparent disadvantages, why not?
Oh, no, I'm not negating your concern at all. I don't figure drones have much of a reason to pop the station floors, it's a cheap and annoying tactic on Ass Day and makes many of the rounds extremely unfun due to their E-Z-Breach Oven of an RCD. There's a reason it gets bombed regularly then.

Plus, breaches are still a bit too wonky to justify making a hole to drain a fire, although I did that exact thing one of the first times I played Drone and I am so glad I did not get banned (the rules weren't clear back then).
(10-02-2016, 09:54 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(10-02-2016, 09:44 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Just ahelp naughty drones. There's a drone ban button.

I do. There's not always an admin on, and by then the damage is also done, potentially ruining the round for some people.

Essentially, other than the coding (and thus time/effort) aspect of this, do you see any downsides to not allowing drones to remove the original station/ship floors?

Admins can see adminhelps in the IRC, so there's almost never no admins to answer ahelps.
(10-02-2016, 11:31 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(10-02-2016, 09:54 AM)Mordent Wrote: I do. There's not always an admin on, and by then the damage is also done, potentially ruining the round for some people.

Admins can see adminhelps in the IRC, so there's almost never no admins to answer ahelps.

Are you seriously arguing that "not always one on" and "almost never not one available" are meaningfully different, regardless of how irrelevant it is to the topic? I've adminhelp-ed in the past and not gotten a response. Most of the time I do get a response. Sometimes I do not, and the person being shit continues to be shit.

They can check logs in either case. The problem is that the damage is already done for that round.