Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Genevend! Or how to turn genetics into a bunch of money grubbing maniacs.
So basically here's my Idea on how to make a genetics vending machine work, I'm not sure how complex this would be to code exactly but here's the outline of it. 

It works off of the current genetics research and the way you get it to work is you insert your ID, and it checks your DNA in the database, Any activators for your DNA that have been researched can be purchased for 100 credits. 

Injectors are a little different, they cost 500-1000(still not sure what to price these at) and must be sent from the genetics console stored mutations to the Genevend, and doing this removes the stored mutation from the console, but makes it available for purchase by anyone from the Genevend in unlimited amounts, carrying with it any splices that were attached to the gene when it was in the console. 

Each active geneticist would get 10-25% of the profits from this and the rest would go into the station/research funding. 

So yeah, Vending machine that makes people less likely to burst into genetics, makes geneticists some cash, and gets more useful as the round goes on(as long as there's an active geneticist.)
It'll be like system shock bioshock but in space.

But anyway, there's been tons of suggestions for allowing geneticists to provide some sort of genetics service to the crew, but no one seems to be able to agree on how it should be done. This version to me seems like that it could work.
(09-30-2016, 10:58 AM)Mageziya Wrote: It'll be like system shock bioshock but in space.

But anyway, there's been tons of suggestions for allowing geneticists to provide some sort of genetics service to the crew, but no one seems to be able to agree on how it should be done. This version to me seems like that it could work.

Same, I like this idea. The Geneticists having a little security and the ability to vend/distribute to the public would be nice, considering you could do so, so many terrible things to Genetics if you were allowed in even briefly, much less the rather long visit it can sometimes be to get powers.

Also it would reduce the number of times Medbay gets breached per day.

The idea of people being able to buy unlimited amounts of certain powers (though with the stability issues still intact) could be actually rather amusing, since it has a cost and not everybody grinds $$$ ingame.

I support this!
With the injectors, maybe they could be copied to the vendor as they are produced?
Injectors tend to be hoarded by genetics as the cool down on them is so long. Likewise, genetics should have some free way of replicating existing injectors, to encourage sharing them.

The vendor could run off biomaterial from the reclaimer, which could get genteticists to care about the cloning room more. A way for genetics to set the price of activators and other services from the vendor would be cool too.
(09-30-2016, 12:02 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: With the injectors, maybe they could be copied to the vendor as they are produced?
Injectors tend to be hoarded by genetics as the cool down on them is so long. Likewise, genetics should have some free way of replicating existing injectors, to encourage sharing them.

The vendor could run off biomaterial from the reclaimer, which could get genteticists to care about the cloning room more. A way for genetics to set the price of activators and other services from the vendor would be cool too.

I'm a little hesitant to make it run off biomaterial due to the whole need of it for cloning too, it seems like something that could result in the geneticists scrambling around and begging either botany or mining for a source then giving up as somebody doesn't get cloned due to all of it having been used up to make activators and injectors.
Cloning, if we want to add a way to revive players to every department, is a little overpowered anyway.
Make it so if Cloning is standing, they don't have pretty much 100% to be revived.
Make it instead that Cloning can easily be fucked up by one little thing.
(09-30-2016, 08:46 PM)YoukCat Wrote: Cloning, if we want to add a way to revive players to every department, is a little overpowered anyway.
Make it so if Cloning is standing, they don't have pretty much 100% to be revived.

You can already put hellpoisons in the cloning tank and pretty much zero out any chance people will be successfully cloned. Plus, people who ARE cloned are extremely vulnerable (can't speak, if ejected early have lots of varying damages, etc).
(09-30-2016, 11:01 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(09-30-2016, 08:46 PM)YoukCat Wrote: Cloning, if we want to add a way to revive players to every department, is a little overpowered anyway.

You can already put hellpoisons in the cloning tank and pretty much zero out any chance people will be successfully cloned. Plus, people who ARE cloned are extremely vulnerable (can't speak, if ejected early have lots of varying damages, etc).

There's also the fact that if cloning gets bombed genetics is often still functioning fine other than that part. So unless you're planning on jamming a reclaimer in the normal genetics area too then it's not going to be a fantastic idea to run the genevend off of biomaterial.
(10-01-2016, 08:27 AM)Camnui Wrote: There's also the fact that if cloning gets bombed genetics is often still functioning fine other than that part. So unless you're planning on jamming a reclaimer in the normal genetics area too then it's not going to be a fantastic idea to run the genevend off of biomaterial.

Random thought: why not combine the functionality of the clone pods and the current gene pods? Both have locking functionality, after all, the only difference is in terms of what's beside them (cloning console or genetics console).

This way you could load up either pod with an enzymatic reclaimer (which could be made to spit out the biomatter rather than fuel an adjacent pod, much in the same way the portable reclaimers work with fabricators).

You could then load that biomatter into either the pod next to the cloning console or have it output to a tile instead and then either manually load as necessary into the cloning pod or the one used by genetics as fuel for whatever this injector idea is about.

My main motivation for this is so that I can build both a cloning console and a genetics console next to the same pod, so that I can clone people and mess with their genes while they're baking. Totally for good, of course, not to just load them up with all sorts of "fun" mutations prior to releasing them.

I also sorta like the idea of geneticists being yelled at because they're hogging all of the pods for their research rather than using them to clone the crew.
The reclaimer could be thing that grinds shit up and then dispenses a "biomatter" chem. Stick a bucket in it, fill it with meat slurry, and pour that into the cloning pod.

Or go chum for space sharks
The thing about cloning/geneticists is that if there is any resource/tool that could potentially be used for genetics vs cloning, there is a 100% chance that it will be hogged for genetics with cloning left to rot, and anyone who protests will have to argue with two paranoid TK-hulks with laser eyes. When cloning was in genetics proper, geneticists would regularly stuff anyone who walked into genetics into the reclaimer just on general principle.

e: and if the reply to that is to call sec/a higher authority, chances are the person in question is probably in fact the HOS/captain, because when you can do anything and have nothing specific to do, 'become a superpowered god' ranks pretty high on that list.
If we're doing this, why not let multiple cloning pods be hooked up to the same console?

I don't know about that. We have incomplete clones who can't use limbs, etc. There's hellpoisons in the tank, as Nnyxstyx said, cloning almost always gets bombed and so on.
I really like this idea. Anything that lets me turn the station into mutant abominations easier would be great.
I often play as a Geneticist. Having a wonky vending machine for distributing our wares would be a heck of a lot of fun! Plus, it'd give the chance to have more people using Fire Breath or Mass Emesis to really, REALLY mess up the bar. get in not go out