Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surgery / cybernetics / medical stuff
No you're right, I got the original deus ex' bioelectric cells mixed up with the system in DXHR, where they eat to recharge them, sorry to jump down your throat over something so dumb.

For sure power cells would work too, there's plenty of chargers and plenty of power cells around, not to mention artifact power cells with almost infinite charge and stuff. I just think food would be a bit cooler, especially like you say if you're charging your arms with discount dans. poor souls who can't afford the vending machine's prices begging for food, blind, in what they hope is the bar. Maybe give medbay a card swiper so the surgeon can restrict surgery to the elite of the station. Could result in some cool stuff happening is what i'm saying badly.

On the ideas front, how about an improved senses implant that could give you an atmos readout when you examine an empty tile like an analyzer?

as far as weapons are concerned, maybe a small derringer type weapon could be installed in a hand, so in a desperate situation you shoot a finger at a foe, knocking them down and doing a bit of damage but dealing some brute damage and stunning you briefly.
A derringer style thing could work nicely. Use the *gun emote and your current hand drops whatever it was holding and turns to a gun-finger sprite, works exactly like a derringer and cannot be dropped, only put away.
human beings may not be candy bars but I don't have any food
I can see this turning into an epic story about cyborg apartheid. 'Pure' borgs dismissing and/ or fucking with the skinjobs that are nothing more than carefully redesigned forks jammed into the squishy, weak flesh humans are known for.
Bring back the ability to eat corpses so that we have desperate people killing and eating eachother for sweet, sweet power.
Dauntasa Wrote:Bring back the ability to eat corpses so that we have desperate people killing and eating eachother for sweet, sweet kuru.

why was this removed, again? i think wonkmin or magic mountain or someone said something about it in deadchat once, but i forgot what they said. was it just deemed a creepy thing? did it make corpses uncloneable? i know it removed the meat because shoving an eaten body in the gibber caused it to just shoot out gibs. you couldn't even get mystery meat from them.

also, having people call you a changeling or a vampire and run around trying to murder you was funny.
I dunno. It's not like kuru was contagious, and you can still get it pretty easily.
I think it would be kind of cool if you could surgically add a nanobot repair thing that requires wielding fuel to function, so the crewmen slowly heals as long as they drink wielding fuel when it runs out. Also maybe toxin damage could happen after prolonged exposure to welding fuel as a balence, so the person's peak slowly decreases overtime. Also killing them could potentially make them spectacularly explode.
I like these ideas, but I think we've got to be careful about getting too high tech, you know how notoriously cheap NT's space stations are constructed, all the technology is bulky and utilitarian and I'm not sure stuff like nanobots continually healing you is something they'd shell out for- whereas things like tearing out an engineers eyes and replacing them with ugly inhuman meson eyes is something they'd be 100% up for. I like the idea of the passive heal requiring fuel but I think it's a little too hightech for SS13 if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my idea of a Surgeon job being instituted to perform these roles? With the number of people who keep bringing up their desire for a head surgeon job or whatever, seems like there's a market for wearing scrubs and brandishing a scalpel and it'd make good use of the current surgery room on Cogsmap. Maybe add an office or expand the break room as well? Being so close to pathology could have it's interesting effects too, maybe requiring a surgeon to sterilise their scalpels between operations or risk an unscrupulous pathologist tainting their equipment. you can put N02 tanks on people too like 02 tanks right? Someone comes in for a simple bullet removal, leaves a highly implanted freak as the surgeon lives out his Robocop fantasies.
SAmeme Wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on my idea of a Surgeon job being instituted to perform these roles? With the number of people who keep bringing up their desire for a head surgeon job or whatever, seems like there's a market for wearing scrubs and brandishing a scalpel and it'd make good use of the current surgery room on Cogsmap. Maybe add an office or expand the break room as well? Being so close to pathology could have it's interesting effects too, maybe requiring a surgeon to sterilise their scalpels between operations or risk an unscrupulous pathologist tainting their equipment. you can put N02 tanks on people too like 02 tanks right? Someone comes in for a simple bullet removal, leaves a highly implanted freak as the surgeon lives out his Robocop fantasies.

I personally think making it the domain of medical doctors would be a better idea than making a new job, the reason being that Doctors currently don't have enough to do, and Surgeons wouldn't have much to do during downtime either.
mozi Wrote:I personally think making it the domain of medical doctors would be a better idea than making a new job, the reason being that Doctors currently don't have enough to do, and Surgeons wouldn't have much to do during downtime either.

Yeah, right now all you ever see Medical Doctors doing is standing around bored until they go braindead or OCCASIONALLY running around with half the medicine on the station in their pockets, healing everyone they run across (then they unceremoniously die in the most abandoned corner of the station and everyone wonders where all the medicine in medbay went).

I kinda like the sound of a few cybernetics. Especially if the best ones involve Uquill, Bohrum, Claretine, and Erebite. Getting miners to let go of that stuff pretty much requires going out there yourself and beating them up for it.

As for removing bullets and such via surgery, how would that work? I guess the easiest way would be to have bullets permanently lower your max health until they're removed. It'd also be neat if you could use something like a kitchen knife to do incredibly unsafe/badass self-surgery that inflicts variable mid-to-heavy brute damage but saves you a trip to medbay.
back alley surgery. put someone down on any old table and start digging around their body with kitchen utensils.
brain surgery is represented by a simple number variable, 0 means nothing has happened, 3 means you're one cut away from having your brain taken out. even if your brain is hanging by a thread from your skull you can run around willy nilly to no adverse affect. maybe that's not the most.. realistic model but it makes coding it pretty simple.

cybernetic surgery could operate on the same principle with the caveat that it makes someone start bleeding, so if you get up and walk around after being cut open your organs won't spill our or anything gnarly like that but you'll still take damage.

additionally borging (used to?) have a percentage chance of failure in each step that would cause damage to the victim, er, patient, a similar idea could be used for cybernetic surgery. you would increase the odds of causing damage for a variety of conditions, like a non-doctor performing it, the doctor is not wearing sanitized gear, the patient is conscious, the patient is on something other than a surgery bed, the surgeon is using a fork instead of a scalpel.. and so on. when pathology gets implemented poor surgical conditions should also increase the odds of infection.

I had been giving this sort of topic some thought recently and hadn't really decided how the actual act of performing surgery should go. I was thinking a sort of HTML-window popup interface like the hacking interface, with plenty of opportunity for a doctor to accidentally/deliberately fuck up and harm the patient, but I'm not sure how it would look.

lowering one's max health as a result of a bullet is also a good idea.
For bleeding, perhaps doctors could optionally be able to "Quickfix" it by using a weilder or igniter to cauterize veins. The side effect could be that it could effectively kill a limb, making amputation a necessity.
If this gives me the chance to ram a robot limb on the amputated stump, then I'm all for it.

Bonus points if you let the surgeon put, say, a left robot arm where a right is supposed to go and this causes some pretty big problems for the guy.

Of course, now that we're on THIS topic, what advantages/drawbacks should robot limbs have on people? Would they still be able to pick things up? Can they punch harder? Interact with doors and computers like a borg?