Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Speech bubble when typing
A week or so ago a bunch of us hopped on different servers just to test them out and on one of them when you were typing a speech bubble would pop up.  I think this should be implemented.
(09-25-2016, 06:59 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: A week or so ago a bunch of us hopped on different servers just to test them out and on one of them when you were typing a speech bubble would pop up.  I think this should be implemented.

You're like 90% more likely to be attacked, robbed, stunned, ect. if people know you're typing, I mean it's goon. Maybe on the RP server, but I couldn't see a good reason for this on the normal server.
Ya, I should have specified I meant on 1.
(09-25-2016, 07:14 PM)Camnui Wrote:
(09-25-2016, 06:59 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: A week or so ago a bunch of us hopped on different servers just to test them out and on one of them when you were typing a speech bubble would pop up.  I think this should be implemented.

You're like 90% more likely to be attacked, robbed, stunned, ect. if people know you're typing, I mean it's goon. Maybe on the RP server, but I couldn't see a good reason for this on the normal server.

While I know this is true and have been a victim of the tactic, at the same time I think there's been situations where'd I'd stop an attack as the aggressor if I knew the person had something they wanted to say
I actually like this feature. I also hate it because people will realize how slowly I type. Answer: I'm slower than you grandpa. Your dead grandpa. :downs:

Not sure if it'd work on this server though.
(09-25-2016, 07:55 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I actually like this feature. I also hate it because people will realize how slowly I type. Answer: I'm slower than you grandpa. Your dead grandpa. :downs:

Not sure if it'd work on this server though.

Maybe not 2, but it would definitely work on 1.
Whenever I'm being a cretin I'll ask convoluted questions for the express purpose of attacking when someone is busy thinking of an answer (aka typing). Please do this... but make it different from the actual speech bubble... maybe just an elipses without the speech bubble around it? Having it be the same image as a speech bubble might get confusing.
I'm sure it'd be helpful in some areas for RP 1, but it just makes you a massive target on the main server. I'm sure it's possible to have it enabled on one and disabled on the other though.
I think your minds are going the wrong way with this already. (on the whole, if im talking, people will take advantage and kill me thing)

Add the feature anyway.
As some have already commented, part of our playerbase would actually stop and give the guy a chance to speak instead of going right to battle. For this reason the feature is worth adding alone. All those times in which you've wanted to be a little more dastardly, but didnt have time to type and make it interesting -- this is an opening for more of that.

Meanwhile, yes, some folks would specifically take advantage of being able to tell when you're typing, and they might attack you during the time in which you're typing instead of moving or clicking. However, these players who would specifically look for this advantage are probably addicted to behaving this way. So if jimmy poo never gives you a chance to finish a sentence without stabbing you in the chest, next time you're in the middle of doing something cool and jimmy poo wants to talk, you're probably gonna get a bad feeling about jimmy poo and it might change how you react. (vs other players that havent habitually exploited attacking dudes mid-sentence)

Tl;Dr
Im always in favor of anything that can help with our inability to walk and talk simultaneously in SS13.
If certain folks are shit with this feature, im sure the worst offenders will stick in memory. Kick their asses and publicly shame them for being unrobust and rude, or just shoot them in the face without any prelude if you're licensed to kill.

The feature is neat enough to add despite the potential negatives, imo.
A thought: If the bubble or ellipses or whatever pops up while you're typing, you could potentially just pop open your text box and then bring focus back to the game while leaving the box open.

This could be used to trick the people who'd take advantage of you typing into a false sense of security, or reveal the people who sometimes type up an alert preemptively to have it ready to send at the first sign of danger, which might dissuade an attack.
I'm pretty notorious for derringering people in the face at the worst possible moment.
I would abuse this non-stop without shame.
It's a merciful no from me.
I have no input on whether this is a good idea or not, but I am 100% certain that if this were a thing, certain race conditions would occur in the code to inevitably force the bubble on at all times whether you're typing or not.
(09-26-2016, 12:51 PM)Wire Wrote: I have no input on whether this is a good idea or not, but I am 100% certain that if this were a thing, certain race conditions would occur in the code to inevitably force the bubble on at all times whether you're typing or not.

and someone will find a way to throw it, cook it, and use it to kill someone.
I don't know about people abusing it, but I think it would be really helpful; I am fairly certain I have walked away from people that were just taking really long to type. This would also help with those situations where someone stops near you and you wait thinking they are going to tell you something but it just turns out they were organizing their inventory.
I'd rather have it so that if you're actually hurt while typing it just automatically enters it but garbles or just cuts off the last few letters.