Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
In game Communication Improvements
 What about a spam filter to prevent packet spamming? I'd presume it'd mute a specific address if it detected a large quantity of messages. It'd have an actual, physical location in game, as a mainframe on the bridge or AI satellite. Anyone wanting to spam messages would have to disable or hack it in some way. a large quantity of messages. It'd have an actual, physical location in game, as a mainframe on the bridge or AI satellite. Anyone wanting to spam messages would have to disable or hack it in some way.
(09-23-2016, 10:12 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: What about a spam filter to prevent packet spamming? I'd presume it'd mute a specific address if it detected a large quantity of messages. It'd have an actual, physical location in game, as a mainframe on the bridge or AI satellite. Anyone wanting to spam messages would have to disable or hack it in some way.

Maybe put it in a closet in the Head of Personnel's office or something, to give him more of a "job".
Packets are actually kinda hard to spam - everything that makes them has a built in delay. You COULD make a massive spam botnet in mechanics, but there's no way to make a giant spammy mess by accident.
(09-23-2016, 10:18 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 10:12 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: What about a spam filter to prevent packet spamming? I'd presume it'd mute a specific address if it detected a large quantity of messages. It'd have an actual, physical location in game, as a mainframe on the bridge or AI satellite. Anyone wanting to spam messages would have to disable or hack it in some way.

Maybe put it in a closet in the Head of Personnel's office or something, to give him more of a "job".

That might be more of CE's department, but I could see giving HOP a special computer to stalk pda messages, and maybe filter them.

Basically like TG's network server but specific to PDAs and probably without the ability to do dumb things like quizbot, since that seems like mechanics job.
(09-28-2016, 10:04 AM)atomic1fire Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 10:18 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

That might be more of CE's department, but I could see giving HOP a special computer to stalk pda messages, and maybe filter them.

Basically like TG's network server but specific to PDAs and probably without the ability to do dumb things like quizbot, since that seems like mechanics job.

I do really like quizbot though, and if the system can allow for creating new forums for those things so people can choose to follow them that'd be great.

If nothing else comes from this thread though, Sundances PDA mock up is great and I would love to see that implemented
[Image: 960077074e.jpg]

here's a PDA redesign i came up with a couple months ago when thinking of ways to make using it easier, as well as replacing the status panel with just looking at your PDA for round and shuttle times, and how much air is in your internals.
This thread is made of solid gold. Want all of it.
Tying station alerts like the shuttle ETA to PDA pings is also a great idea
Wanna bump this thread with another addition tied to the AI and the door control panel thread:

AI oughta have a request que that lists pending requests, name and rank of who placed them, how long ago the request was placed. This would be a board only they could see, but anyone could add to. Door requests using the control panel would autopost
News feeds (Like the ones on several other servers like Bay and Para) around the station or ship would be useful to have, and those job specific PDA bulletins would be real useful.

Also maybe using PDAs across departments to request tasks or items or assistance would be useful. At least on LLJK1, anyways.

ALSO PLEASE, HAVE PDA NETWORK IDs AND FREQUENCIES AND ALL THAT RANDOMIZED EVERY ROUND.
(11-29-2016, 10:18 AM)aft2001 Wrote: News feeds (Like the ones on several other servers like Bay and Para) around the station or ship would be useful to have, and those job specific PDA bulletins would be real useful.

Also maybe using PDAs across departments to request tasks or items or assistance would be useful. At least on LLJK1, anyways.

ALSO PLEASE, HAVE PDA NETWORK IDs AND FREQUENCIES AND ALL THAT RANDOMIZED EVERY ROUND.

PDA ID's are already randomised as far as i'm aware, but why do you want the frequency to be randomised?
Probably to restrict the 'hacking' of object via packets.

Not sure why. I've never known door hacking to be a problem; it's quicker to manually hack the door in most cases. Locker hacking requires the headpass, which is randomized each round. Message spoofing is annoying, but largely harmless. There's just not a tremendous amount of damage done by it, unless that's changed drastically within the passed six months.

Another reason would be to cut out eavesdropping, which is a moot point because people who eavesdrop already have the means to find the pda frequency in seconds.

shrug
I guess the main thing about packet hacking is it's cleaner, and if you coordinate with a fellow traitor it means someone who did their work can help an ally get in somewhere from across the station.
No fingerprints, no damage to the door, no sign you're even there or were there, and less tools required overall.

Consequently, you need to take time to grab each individual door's ID and the process does take a lot longer than just speedsnipping the wires and grabbing a crowbar.
I do far more packet hacking than wire hacking when I do either because that doesn't involve me fucking up and bolting the door. All you need is a screwdriver to view the identifier, then you just plug a single identifier into your packet and send it and there you go. No other tools, no gloves, no fussing with which wire is which

EDIT: This, incidentally, allows you to open, close, bolt and unbolt doors over long range, although I believe you can do the same thing with a signaller on wires but shut up
(11-30-2016, 05:17 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I do far more packet hacking than wire hacking when I do either because that doesn't involve me fucking up and bolting the door. All you need is a screwdriver to view the identifier, then you just plug a single identifier into your packet and send it and there you go. No other tools, no gloves, no fussing with which wire is which

EDIT: This, incidentally, allows you to open, close, bolt and unbolt doors over long range, although I believe you can do the same thing with a signaller on wires but shut up

I prefer using two PDAs with one set to the sniffer, whenever you walk into a door and it flashes red it'll show you the sender ID in the sniffer.