Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
In game Communication Improvements
(09-23-2016, 07:27 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: The "Light" button can serve as an all-purpose module button, since there's also the T-Ray scanner. I hope in the future more modules exist, though I wouldn't know what they'd be (use your PDA as a builtin multitool? dunno).

There was an idea for a hipflask cartridge a while back, that might be a decent idea for a module
(09-23-2016, 07:27 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: The "Light" button can serve as an all-purpose module button, since there's also the T-Ray scanner. I hope in the future more modules exist, though I wouldn't know what they'd be (use your PDA as a builtin multitool? dunno).

Swiss army pda. Has a multitouch, screwdriver, wire cutters, wrench and a l'il pocket knife that says something snarky when you try to stab someone with it.
Maybe not a full toolbelt, unless it's expensive, but at least a multitool for pulsing stuff.

With a small chance that if you get the 'electrify' result, your module is fried.

EDIT: The "Module" button with the flask should open and close the flask compartment. When opened, you can add, pour, and drink reagent.
Turn Groups into something you can edit with TermOS. Add members, remove members, create new groups, delete groups.
The job order system should have a department filter option, with players in that department being notified via pda message when a contract is posted for em.

Example: an assistant posts a contract to robotics to give them Borg limbs and treads. Robotocist gets a bleep, sees a new contract appear in a similar manner to a PDA message, clicks on the link and accepts the contract.

This would be awesome for quartermasters. Got a trader asking for weed? Use the shipping budget to get botany to send you down a crate, or offer them bee crates in exchange.
(09-23-2016, 09:52 AM)Grek Wrote: Turn Groups into something you can edit with TermOS. Add members, remove members, create new groups, delete groups.

From a mechanics point of view, I think this should be done as follows (there are alternative ways):
  • Add a mail server object on a network terminal, probably in the bridge. It can be accessed via TermOS, in which case it has some simple commands for altering its centralised groups. Super user access (head ID) is needed to modify existing groups or add/delete groups.
    • Default groups are departmental (medical, research, engineering, civilian, command). Crew are added to the relevant group(s) as they join. These groups cannot be deleted, but crew can be deleted from/added to a group (new job for the HoP).
    • Other groups can be added or deleted as necessary.
  • PDAs send mails to one of the following:
    • Individuals (works as currently)
    • Centralised groups (packet is sent addressed to the server, with the target group in the message metadata; server sends packets out to individuals in that group as if sent from the original sender (probably with a bit of metadata to indicate that it was a group message, for the purposes of display at the other end so the receiver knows it was a bulk message).
    • Custom groups (multiple packets sent, one to each individual, probably with a bit of metadata to indicate that it was a group message). Replying to this message only sends to the original sender.
As far as I can tell, this doesn't mess with existing packet functionality, instead simply adding to it. It goes without saying that MISSILE can't be sent to groups.

If you can make custom groups a file (and therefore sendable to other PDAs) you can have one person make it and then send it around the group.
For comparison: right now, PDAs don't sent to particular people. Instead, they have either an 'address_1' field, or a 'group' field. Your PDA hears all messages, but only displays those which have the correct address or the correct group.
Not sure if I'd want the BBS to be packet-spammable. Not everything has to be emulated or spoofable. At least with PDA messaging you can turn messaging off. As said I would like email to be tied into it all as I, a nigerian prince, find it rather awkward when I have to tell people to check their email when I need a loan.

Still I'd rather have something barebones but possible instead of a dreamlike longshot that would never get done, so I'll just say that anything would be amazing.
(09-23-2016, 04:27 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Not sure if I'd want the BBS to be packet-spammable. Not everything has to be emulated or spoofable.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment if only because packets allow for hilarious hijinks and occasionally useful automated systems.
I'd like hijinks too if somebody can prevent the mechanics (or bored staff assistants) from filling such a system with 'DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED' messages xxx times a second.
(09-23-2016, 07:22 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I'd like hijinks too if somebody can prevent the mechanics (or bored staff assistants) from filling such a system with 'DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED' messages xxx times a second.

That sounds great, honestly.
(09-23-2016, 07:22 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I'd like hijinks too if somebody can prevent the mechanics (or bored staff assistants) from filling such a system with 'DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED' messages xxx times a second.

Here's how you prevent that:

Here's how you fix that:
1. Throw that assistant/mechanic into the trial chamber
2. Have everyone pelt them with tomatoes
3. Give them a camera monitor so they can watch via the mobile cameras as you rip their machine to shreds

Alternatively,
A. Throw that assistant/mechanic into the crusher
B. Give them a medal
C. Bribe them to stop

EDIT: Preventing a gameplay action is usually inferior to giving incentives not to do it, such as the crew not trying to give you a swirlie/feed you floorpills whenever they happen to see you in the halls.
I've been told this is some important shit right here; but frankly, there are much much bigger fish to fry, like figuring out the basics.

Admin Edit: hello this is an off-topic post that's not conducive to discussion
(09-23-2016, 07:55 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Here's how you fix that:
1. Throw that assistant/mechanic into the trial chamber
2. Have everyone pelt them with tomatoes
3. Give them a camera monitor so they can watch via the mobile cameras as you rip their machine to shreds

Alternatively,
A. Throw that assistant/mechanic into the crusher
B. Give them a medal
C. Bribe them to stop

EDIT: Preventing a gameplay action is usually inferior to giving incentives not to do it, such as the crew not trying to give you a swirlie/feed you floorpills whenever they happen to see you in the halls.

Those worked real well against mass loafers. Probably would have worked in the old days where you could space people for being super annoying, though. I just don't see the point of coding a system when it can be a font of lag (until they get yelled at by admins) and/or be rendered inoperable. There's a reason flood detection exists.

Still, I won't argue anymore than that. Just saying this much makes me 'that guy that doesn't like fun' on something that's a moot point.
Well, we also have a policy to ban people who intentionally lag the game. If it happened often enough, or ground the game to a halt, I would argue for more meta methods of suppressing it too. I don't like lag, so Vitatroll has a point.