Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Impose Austerity On Station To Improve The Game
(09-20-2016, 03:18 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 02:54 PM)misto Wrote: perhaps we could consider enhancements to the game chat and headsets? an option to set a list of keywords (your name, critical terms such as "breach" "traitor" "blob" "gun" "help" for example) to be highlighted in chat?

Can't you already do this using the chat options menu you open up by clicking on the gear?

wow, i never knew. too bad its limited to only 5 things
(09-20-2016, 02:54 PM)misto Wrote: promoting co-operation in a game whose gametypes typically revolve around paranoia and suspicion sounds like an awfully tall order no matter the map redesigns you propose.

people are already fairly co operative in many situations. failure to co-operate is usually due to failure to communicate.

communication is what i believe needs to be enhanced, above all, but the best way to alert someone, the pda and its beeping message alert, is also often an immense liability due to the presence of detomatrix carts

perhaps we could consider enhancements to the game chat and headsets? an option to set a list of keywords (your name, critical terms such as "breach" "traitor" "blob" "gun" "help" for example) to be highlighted in chat?

I wouldn't be opposed to just getting rid of detomatrix carts altogether tbh. Some people preemptively turn of messaging every round because of them, and as soon as one goes off most everyone else does the same. It's also one of the less fun items.

String highlights kinda help but I still miss a lot of them. The PDA beep always gets my attention though. Would it be possible to get a sounds effect for radio chat as well?
Yeah, I actually. . don't really like Detomatix/Matrix. The fact it actively discourages communication (and using the nice id-pda feature) because you'll blow up and lose your usually irreplaceable ID is part of the reason people don't use the PDAs or the messenger feature. They're a liability most of the time and you don't usually gain much except saving a slot for a scanner, or using it for the Port-A-Sci. PDAs need a rework, and I think removing Detomatix or merging it into a different item would be better.
(09-20-2016, 02:54 PM)misto Wrote: people are already fairly co operative in many situations. failure to co-operate is usually due to failure to communicate.

communication is what i believe needs to be enhanced, above all, but the best way to alert someone, the pda and its beeping message alert, is also often an immense liability due to the presence of detomatrix carts

perhaps we could consider enhancements to the game chat and headsets? an option to set a list of keywords (your name, critical terms such as "breach" "traitor" "blob" "gun" "help" for example) to be highlighted in chat?

This is a really good point. While i still think overabundance of resources is a big factor in this, you've got me thinking about the place of communication in this equation.
Still though, you can't coordinate without first cooperating.
im against anything that would make this game into more of a boring chore simulator to do the things that you want than it already is
(09-20-2016, 04:09 PM)Dions Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 02:54 PM)misto Wrote: people are already fairly co operative in many situations. failure to co-operate is usually due to failure to communicate.

This is a really good point. While i still think overabundance of resources is a big factor in this, you've got me thinking about the place of communication in this equation.
Still though, you can't coordinate without first cooperating.

Wanted to make a thread about this aspect but posted it in the wrong dang place
http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?mode...4#pid81454
To the point of making rounds longer so that doing things starts being worth a hoot, there are two main things that currently stand in its way: breaches and death. These two are, from what I've seen, the top reasons to call the shuttle.

Once a room is spaced and all the air runs out, it's broken forever. It's easier to just put a donk on it and end the round than it is to patch the hole and bring in every air can the station. Crawling around in the cold because all the suits got gibbed by what made the breach in the first place is not fun, and there's not really much you can do to get around this, what with it being tied to atmos and such.

Also being a ghost is kinda boring, especially you have no chance of being anything other than a drone for the next hour plus. That, and once most of the station is dead, that's not much point to continuing the round, especially once the ghosts get restless and start farting on the AI. Rounds can't last too long because people like being able to play the game. No, drones don't count.

So, about making rounds long enough to make embarking on long bastards of projects worthwhile, you'd need to do something to make continuing the round in the face of bullshit more enticing than calling the fuckit boat. Make cold slowdown turn you into a metcho maen? Keep respawn on forever, even while you're still alive? I dunno.