Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are Wizards Teammates?
So this came up in IRC when someone in the game was a wizard and was killed by the other wizard. This sparked the discussion on whether or not they were teammates as drsingh said that wizards could kill each other if they wanted to. Which I retorted with "I Thought wizards were Teammates like Nuke Ops" and "When have opposing Antags spawned right next to each other and what's stopping them from killing each other as soon as they spawn" Drsingh did not have a answer but did say that nothing in the rules or the wiki says anything about wizards being teammates and that it might need some clarification. So here we are.

I believe Wizards are teammates, as I never seen them attack each other and as a Wizard while playing with another Wizard we always help each other out and junk and someone did mention that spells don't track or target another wizard. Though HukHukHuk did say he has killed a fellow wizard for his scroll before.

SO I decided to ask the community their thoughts on this matter.
!!!!!!yes
I once got an objective as a wizard to kill the other wizard.

I couldn't bring myself to do it.
Wizards are untargetable to other wizards only as long as they hold a staff, or so I've heard.

Wizards should be team-bros. At least till they leave the wiz shuttle. Spawning them on top of one another in the same enclosed space was always enough to me
to imply that they're not supposed to kill one another (without good reason, and later on station at the very least)
Yeah I think unless wizards specifically decide to hold a deathmatch it should be assumed that wizards are on the same side. I once got the 'kill other wizard' objective too, we both agreed that it was a dumb bug and laughed it off.

e: though I don't think they're as close as etc. mindslaves or syndieborgs, it's up to them to decide how circumspect they want to be with collateral damage and how much aid they want to extend to a fellow wiz in a crisis. But there should be some incentive to not begin every wiz round with a deathmatch on the wiz shuttle.
Wiz are probably supposed to work together, as they spawn with the magic sandals (which protect from most spells) and spawn in the same area.
i dont think ive ever seen wizards be assigned to kill other wizards in their objectives, as opposed to traitors who frequently are set after one another by their objectives. they are all presumably being sent in by the same high council of the space wizard federation. however, wizards each have their own individual objectives rather than a shared team objective like nuke ops do, so while they may be a team, i do not consider them as much of a team as nuke ops need to be.

some of the best times ive had as wizard was coordinating spell choices with other wizards. one of us taking knock in order to open up armory and we all steal guns, for example. or all wizards could take animate golem and turn chemistry into a hell golem factory, if at least one wiz knows how to cook up the good shit quick enough
(09-16-2016, 10:06 PM)Roomba Wrote: Yeah I think unless wizards specifically decide to hold a deathmatch it should be assumed that wizards are on the same side.

This is pretty much what I feel 'bout it.
A bit like coworkers. They could be friends or they could be enemies, but when shit hits the fan they tend to come together.

e: I'd prefer wizard on wizard deaths being due to accidents or wizardly duels. Preferably highly televised. It's happened. It's been fun.
If wizards start standing beside one another - and thus know for a fact the other is a wizard - it makes 0 sense for them to be enemies.

However

If wizards have objectives to kill others - and as we've seen this is the case - it makes 0 sense for them to be team-mates.

As such, I conclude the objective thing is a bug, and that wizards are, in fact, teammates.

Given that we've heard from one admin on one side - drsingh in IRC - and one seemingly on the other - gannets above - I think that we need to hear from more admins about what the rule actually is, even if it's just a blank quote of one or another person.

(09-16-2016, 10:06 PM)Roomba Wrote: e: though I don't think they're as close as etc. mindslaves or syndieborgs, it's up to them to decide how circumspect they want to be with collateral damage and how much aid they want to extend to a fellow wiz in  a crisis. But there should be some incentive to not begin every wiz round with a deathmatch on the wiz shuttle.

to add, I agree with the above.
(09-17-2016, 10:49 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: I think that we need to hear from more admins about what the rule actually is, even if it's just a blank quote of one or another person.

Quote:
Thank you for that ZeWaka, but I was hoping to hear more from the admins about what the rule actually is, even if the hearing more from the admins about what the rule is involves empty quotes, or better yet, sending teddy lots of money on paypal.
(09-17-2016, 12:35 PM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: Thank you for that ZeWaka, but I was hoping to hear more from the admins about what the rule actually is, even if the hearing more from the admins about what the rule is involves empty quotes, or better yet, sending teddy lots of money on paypal.

Nice try.
The fact that the wizard shuttle has the magic mirror so that you can tell what your wizbro's objectives are does kinda spell out that you're supposed to be a team. At least in my head.
you're both part of the Space Wizard Federation!