Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remove the ability for blobs to spawn offstation
Even back when blobs were first being introduced, this was a clear issue, so I don't know why it's still a thing. It is a strategy used solely by the worst greentext powergamers. There is nothing fun or interesting about having to either scour the corners of the map in the hopes of spotting a boring blob, or have nothing happen for forty minutes until the round suddenly ends. Already half the crew just straight-up gives up whenever a blob is spotted because they hate blob rounds that much, and a blob only accessible through space isn't helping. The admin policy is to just ahelp whenever this happens, so why not just remove it altogether?
(09-15-2016, 08:36 PM)Roomba Wrote: The admin policy is to just ahelp whenever this happens, so why not just remove it altogether?

Wait what?

Another blob and I had admin approval for doing this a week or two ago.
Times like these, I just appreciate the stealth extended round where the crew ends up more suspicious of each other than they would in a normal round.
(09-15-2016, 08:39 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(09-15-2016, 08:36 PM)Roomba Wrote: The admin policy is to just ahelp whenever this happens, so why not just remove it altogether?

Wait what?

Another blob and I had admin approval for doing this a week or two ago.

Well when it happened earlier today the admin on said to ahelp if we saw it happening, so perhaps the policy should be clearly clarified.

also why would you do this
I was the blob who spawned on the Syndicate Listening Post. I have no problems with blobs spawning in locations off the station. Besides, was I hurting anyone? No. Also, there is a risk of me being caught by someone flying a pod, or the fact I run out of time as someone calls the shuttle early, so playing off the station isn't a free win.
(09-15-2016, 09:59 PM)Hulk Hogan Wrote: Besides, was I hurting anyone? No.

this is kind of the crux of the problem

Can anyone honestly think of a good justification for this that doesn't boil down to 'I don't actually feel like playing, but I want that sweet green text anyway'?

(09-15-2016, 09:59 PM)Hulk Hogan Wrote: Also, there is a risk of me being caught by someone flying a pod

If a strategy is only counterable by someone investigating the syndie outpost as a non antag (something that is considered borderline metagaming and specifically frowned on by admins in most rounds) then chances are it is a problem.
I tend to agree here. At least that listening post isn't acceptable.

Research outpost is bad enough, but at least the AI might be able to point you out.
what in the hell is green text
(09-16-2016, 08:41 AM)APARTHEID Wrote: what in the hell is green text

You know when you complete a traitor objective and you get that little green [Success] next to it at the end of the round?
As far as I'm aware a traitor doesn't have to traitor. By that measure a blob can fuck off into space.
I think some of you are missing the point, having rounds that are less antagonist driven isn't a bad thing. gives more room for other shenanigans to happen. If a blob want's to be merely a neighbor and not invade, good for it. ss13 is great for it's endless variety in gameplay, please don't limit blobs...
(09-16-2016, 09:37 AM)Erev Wrote: As far as I'm aware a traitor doesn't have to traitor. By that measure a blob can fuck off into space.
Antags who don't feel like doing anything antagonistic are expected to adminhelp themselves so the admins can decide if this merits spawning in extra antags to spice things up. I imagine the same standard applies to blobs.
A blob wins by spreading out over a certain amount of tiles. Every tile that it sprouts is, by definition, a blow against the crew. It's perfectly reasonable to start on the station and half-ass a blob round. A blob starting in the syndie shuttle and growing over space isn't a blob going 'I want to be a chill blob who doesn't hurt anyone', it's a blob going 'I don't want to contribute anything to the round but I also want to win in the cheapest way possible'. I've never actually seen a spaceblob defend itself with the 'imachillblob' routine in the round itself, it's only ever used as later justification when people point out how shitty it is.
I don't mind peaceful blebs.
As other people have said, blobs auto-end the round if they grow enough, meaning that it is impossible to friendly-blob. Stop using that as an excuse.

(Than again, the round ending when a blob grows large enough is shitty anyway and should be removed)