Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
reduce the failure rate on the paint dispenser
hear me out here: a 5% chance to repair something that takes like 10 straight minutes and a cooperative QM to fix is annoying
to anyone wondering if magboots/sandals/etc. helps you: it doesn't don't bother trying to use them

if you don't want anyone to use this feature why do you even leave the 5% opportunity (the answer is to annoy & tease)

this feature as far as I can tell breaks nothing and performs very well; nothing gets stuck one color forever, etc.

so why is it nigh impossible to access (the answer is people running it into the ground)
but i have a list of suggestions as to how that might be mitigated
paint everywhere? make it cleanable with cleaner/foam/etc
paint on people? white paint removes it
stupid vandals? security

all I ask is that I not fail miserably 6 or 7 times in a row between multiple rounds because of a goofy gimmick feature
hell, it would be an improvement if i didn't have to click the stupid thing 20 times to laboriously pour in each individual unit of paint
is that the joke? absolutely that's the joke
i don't really find it nearly as funny as the enjoyment that paint itself might produce

ok there i'm done.

edit: if you haven't used paint, it lets you color objects/tiles/etc with a whack
if you haven't used the DISPENSER, it lets you pick paint cans of any hex color (!) for free (!!!) working on a similar UI to the hair dye machine

anyway, I'm not even saying it necessarily has to be 1-step-you're-done, or that they should be everywhere (though i think that'd be cute), i basically just wish something that DOES work wasn't so incredibly improbable to work and a miserable slog to do only for potentially 0 payout. if we could work out something like mandatory shittily overpriced ink cartridges or regular tune-ups or some kind of limitation i would be fine with that, but i find the fact it's a trick gag feature irritating as hell. designing our gameplay around the worst possible scenario/people is D U M B

edit 2: okay i will admit i find it a little funny
but not that it happens almost all the time

one time i misclicked and hit the service panel with paint, losing a unit of paint, forcing me to buy 4 more paint cans to get one unit from one can to finish the job
that was hilarious honestly
Buff it to 25% chance to success. It will make it easier and less RNG-dependant.
worth noting is that mechanics CAN copy it, in its broken or fixed states
I've copied like 4 or 5 in a round and failed every time; once I actually fixed it and made one in the bar, and people had Fun
I am pretty sure the fact that it breaks at all is a holdover from when paint used to lag the server. It doesn't sound like it's a problem anymore, so the break chance should probably be removed entirely.
chemists spray colorful reagent and glitter and shit everywhere freely. let the people have their paint
(09-08-2016, 03:45 AM)misto Wrote: chemists spray colorful reagent and glitter and shit everywhere freely. let the people have their paint

that too, a good colorful reagent smoke (approximately Very Easy to make if you get into the bar/medbay's cryoxadone) perma-fucks the station's tiles, this would allow you to at least coordinate the colors if not clear them inherently

note: while mobs/items can be painted white to fix their colors, glass will not restore to its proper color, it will just become white glass (this is fine)
(09-08-2016, 03:45 AM)misto Wrote: chemists spray colorful reagent and glitter and shit everywhere freely. let the people have their paint

no! there is to be absolutely no fun allowed unless you have to spend 15-30 minutes doing it for extremely diminishing returns!
I'd rather have paint be washable off people and clothing and stuff as well and have white paint have its own color effects. I love painting my clothes different colors as the captain and detective.
(09-08-2016, 08:18 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'd rather have paint be washable off people and clothing and stuff as well and have white paint have its own color effects. I love painting my clothes different colors as the captain and detective.

I support this idea, actually, though I dunno how colorables work with regard to paint/painting stuff white
but yes, the application of water or something easy enough to get would be nice to clear paint off, especially since water tanks are abundant it'd make cleaning it not a huge chore

EDIT: For posterity my primary suggestion is "increase the success chance" before any reworking is done
Make acetone work for paint removal.

Its also supposed to work for sticker removal, but it doesn't seem to work.
Acetone for paint removal would be perfect.
Definitely love both ideas : a less janky paint dispenser and a method to remove paint easily.
The current method of roll a d20 and hope for the best is annoying at best, yes to both the change of failure chance and the acetone removal thing.
can't wait to drink acetone to turn my blood red again
maybe fire should also work for paint removal like it does for stickers, all the paint gets scorched off in that inane plasma fire
but yes I support the acetone thing 100% considering acetone is the de facto "eraser" chem, for stickers/clearing stamps