Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mining and Material Science
Right now, mining can actually be done pretty quickly and easily. They have access to a large variety of completely useless gear to tech up with (their pods will always reign supreme), but its not exactly a bad place for it.

If people want to talk to mining to get specific supplies, they usually actually can, and often will.

In theory Material Science was an answer of what to do with all of those resources. Finding a good piece of ore in your giant stack is a tremendous pain, and the differences feel small compared to the work.

The way I see it, there are two solutions.

1: Add a Smelter to Mining.
The Smelter would take in ore and output better ore of the same type. Rather than f

2: Make hand-mining more interesting. Make ore quality depend upon the angle at which you access the ore. and perhaps the tool you use as well. The best ores might be obtained when you soften up a vein with a power hammer, while 3/4ths of the vein is still not exposed to air, then you use the correct tool to finish it. Instead of making it random, it could be something players would feel in control of.

That said, I was just testing Material Science stuff, and I can barely tell how things are supposed to work anymore. The entire system doesn't make a ton of sense, so maybe I am approaching this from the wrong end here.