Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Antagonist] Parasite
My very first post on here.

I searched for an Infestation Gamemode and all I could find was a Bee Gamemode suggestion several years back, and that is it was too much like Aliens.

I would hope that the problem with Aliens won't be the same problem here, since these gamemodes play very differently from my zero experience. However, the issue here is that the creatures in this suggestion lay eggs which Dead Chat can choose to become. Sorta like a mid-round antagonist event I guess.

Anyway, let me attempt to show you a suggestion that might or might not be horrible.

PARASITE (not gamemode yet)
The Parasite can spawn mid-round, much like how the Wraith and Blob work. They will spawn in a random maintenance tunnel with access to an airlock leading to space, and they can survive up to 4 minutes without oxygen, and have no need for being warm. They can hide under tables and such, and but their main ability is to feast on other creatures.

At the start of the game, they are very limited. They only have two abilities, BURROW and FEAST.

BURROW: The Parasite can use this and select a target, or right-click on the person and use the drop-down list. This will make them enter their host's body. If their host is a Vampire (worst enemy) or Changeling, they will instantly notice. Otherwise, the only way to detect them now is use a Health Scanner, and it will say that an organism is living inside of the Host.

FEAST: At any point burrowed inside of someone they Parasite may choose to start feasting on them. This will start to slowly drain the host of their blood, once the host dies of no blood the Parasite gains a FEAST POINT, which can be used on one-use powers or upgrades to help them out. If their host is a skeleton, they get no FP. If their host is a critter, they get half an FP.

FEAST POINTS (FP): Each Parasite starts with three of these, and can use them for several one-use powers or upgrades to themselves.

POWERS:

Natural Anti-Toxins Protection - 3 FP.
The Parasite can now survive inside of Critters, such as monkeys, and feast on them. Chemicals that purge other chemicals now do very slightly less damage to the parasite.

Nesting - 3 FP.
The Parasite gains the ability to make a nest every 5 minutes, up to 2 nests per purchase of this upgrade. Nests heal parasites resting on top of them and eggs can be laid on top of them.

ONE USE POWERS:

Rapid Feast - 1 FP
More useful if the intention is to kill said individual than to feed of said individual, as this costs as much as it would to feed normally. Rapid Feasting makes the host lose their blood much faster and renders the targeted limb unusable (Cannot use left/right arm, much slower if a working leg, prevents healing from Oxygen Damage and inflicts a bit every now and then if chest, causes Brain Damage if head.). However, it notifies the host that they feel sharp pains from said limb, and any experienced player would quickly tell a Parasite is in them.

Lay Egg - 1 FP
Only available in a nest. Laying an egg will lay an egg that will hatch after 130 seconds. The first 120 seconds is used for notifying the Dead Chat and in order to require protecting the egg. The next 10 seconds the Dead person will be getting used to the HUB or whatever while hatching. Once hatched, the new Parasite spawns into the world at 0 FP.

BFFs - 2 FP
Mindslaves the host.

Modify - 1 FP
Gain access to four of your Host's mutations, and select/deselect them at will. Used for either empowering a mindslaved host or causing massive damage with them. Requires luck due to the whole only four being selected part.

Burst - 1 FP
Burst sleeping gas all around yourself, useful if being attacked or you want to kill someone and make sure they die.

A WEAKNESS TO EVERYTHING - What harms a Parasite.

Anti-Toxins/Anything that removes chemicals from a Host's body - This is THE way to harm a Parasite. If they stay too long if a host takes a pill of one of these they will very likely end up dead. Chemical Removers have a small chance to flush the Parasite out of the host, but also deal heavy damage towards said Parasite.

Burn Damage - They gain the same burn damage the host does when they enter a boody, meaning they should probably stay away from new Engineers who forget about their suits near a Hell-burn. Or the Engine in general.

Low Health - These combined with half of a human's health is very deadly. Making a parasite require to stay away from active confrontations or other things of similar value.

I feel something in me... The Gamemode.
All Parasites are friends. Whether they realize it or not. In this gamemode several parasites start out inside of Crew Members. There is a few additions that normally Parasites wouldn't get in this gamemode.

I felt sick before heading on board, sir.
Parasites spawn in humans at the beginning of the round.

It's like they know...
All Parasites can now not only chat to each other, but they can do it thru a "Parasite Radio", letting them all hear eachother. Always.

Centcomm, we have a problem!

At 5-10 shift time, Centcomm warns the station about an outbreak of a dead slug-like organism. This way the Crew has a fighting chance against these giant leeches. Atleast, unless a Queen is made.

OH GOD THAT THING IS HUGE
A new upgrade at 10 FP, 7 FP if purchased a power or 4 FP if purchased both powers, unlocks. Named QUEEN.

QUEEN:
The Parasites gain a leading queen, during her life she gains several strong powers and is much more aggressive. Along with that, she can plant eggs anywhere instead of only nests. However they take an additional 20 seconds to hatch if so.

QUEEN BUFFS:
Burst is now free. Modify now shows the full spectrum. BFFs can now be used when not burrowed, and only costs 1 FP. Lay Egg is free but has a 2 minute cool-down. Nests are the same. Rapid Feasting is now the Normal Feasting, and cannot be purchased anymore. She gibs the person when done feasting. She gains Natural Anti-Toxins Protection and Nesting for free.

AND FINALLY THE WIN CONDITIONS, AND WE'RE DONE.
First, one of these is picked if solo, three of these are picked if Gamemode:
Have a Queen (gamemode exclusive)
Have X babies
Have X number of Parasites alive by game end
Feast on _
Feast X people
Make sure atleast 50% of X department is dead by the end.

Secondly, one of these are picked as an Escape Condition:
Survive near a nest (2-3 spaces of one.)
Survive in a Mindslaved Host.
Survive in a Host on the Emergency Shuttle.

Please send suggestions to me, I feel like I'm missing something (since a game started after QUEEN BUFFs), so please share ideas to add onto it.
This idea definitely reminds me of /vg/ or Paradise Cortical Borers.
This idea was inspired of the Borers, but I also wanted something different from them. So I went with Blood-sucking Leeches instead.
a more solid blood amount-to-manapoint ratio should be picked than "once the host dies of no blood". without a definite exchange rate, if you got into someone with already low blood due to an earlier fight or accident, theyd die sooner and youd be getting points easier, despite eating less blood.

they should be able to crawl in disposal/mail tubes. is that code still around from aliens mode?

they should also be able to muss with their hosts organs such as lungs, heart, eyes

having mindslaving as a power of such a creature sounds both highly useful, as it is one of the few antags that would heavily heavily benefit from it - i think vampires can do it but never bother with it because a minion mostly just slows them down. but it also sounds perhaps a little too strong, like a resultant stationwide mindslave cascade might become a regular occurence in such a mode. up the point cost on it imo
What is the average amount of blood per human then? I'm thinking 0.1 FP should be gained every 50 units of blood, and you can only use critters to hide in.
"Full" blood is 500 units.
My concern with making it blood-volume based is that if someone notices they are pale, and just assumes they lost blood "normally", then they'll probably give the victim blood/saline, which means you could get quite a lot more than 500 units of blood out of someone. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it is a balance constraint.
In light of this, perhaps another idea needs to be thrown in.

How about it'll drain the blood, and once the person is dead it'll start to chew the victim some, making them look slightly bloated or whatever the first stage into rot is. It will then leave with a Feast-Point.
maybe it could eat organs instead of blood. ppl dont regen organs or get them replaced as often as they do with blood.
Perhaps something to do with the heart? Maybe if the host dies or the feast goes on for 3 minutes (2 if quick feast/Queen), then the heart is NOM NOMed?
it would have to be a numbing and gradual digestive process rather than nom nomming or else the host would surely feel the nibbling. should start with the lungs and then start in on the heart. although ppl would again probably notice their health problem when one of their lungs is gone

maybe the parasite could elect to replace organ functions and become a symbiote to empower a mindslaved host with stam buffs

probably shouldnt be able to digest cyberhearts
Weren't all 'infestation' game modes removed for explicit reasons?
I also want this to be a stealthy process that, if noticed, can easily be stopped unless really far from any medical team. So how about, during feasting, the Parasite can choose when to target the heart. The person will feel sharp pains heading towards his heart, confirming he has a parasite. If the Parasite does this too early, the person can get to safety. If the Parasite does this too late, experienced players might notice how his body has zero blood and they might scan for a Parasite.
(09-01-2016, 11:50 PM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: Weren't all 'infestation' game modes removed for explicit reasons?

what are the explicit reasons? people too eager to get infected and join the carnage?

that was averted even back in the aliens days because you didnt become the larva that burst from you, and it is averted again here.

without the cool factor of giger aliens and instead being a wimpy parasite, i think the risk is much reduced
It really is wimpy dou, even the Queen can be killed by an assistant with anti-toxin shots and a boot. Luckily it reproduces so fast that it likely doesn't matter.
i think there should be some cooperation between the parasite and the host

after all if you suspect yourself of having one, what's stopping you from just suiciding/pumping anti-tox