Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wraiths and items that interact with them
wraith is cool new enemy, but needs some more fleshing out in my opinion, so let's put on our supernatural thinking caps

thermal goggles.

traditional hauntings produce cold spots and temperature fluctuations. thus, thermal goggles should be able to act as low-rent ecto-goggles, occasionally revealing a wraith as a cold-spot. they don't have to work perfectly, but anything is a plus. should become useless for this task in an already cold room.

photographic cameras.

inspired by the old "taking a photo steals yer soul" legend and the "fatal frame" video games, photographic cameras such as are found about in various locations and which are carried by tourists and journalist. but what should their exact function be? should they force the wraith to manifest physically to be beaten up on if you get lucky and click its photo? if that is too harsh, maybe it could just drain out a hefty percentage of their wraith magic or something

the oujia board.

beware! many are the tales of demons and evil spirits using the ouija board for evil. if anything, the ouija board should probably be kept locked away if the wraith is about. the wraith should get bonuses for using the ouija board to commit evil deeds. maybe it could be unusually strong and beefy if animated, or grant some spells normally outside the wraiths repertoire if inhabited, or give wraith magic points generation bonus

the haunted candle.

its a dang haunted candle! good thing its usually kept somewhere where it wouldnt do much damage. wraith could use it to shoot fire. spend more magic points for more and more fire. however, enough fire extinguisher blasts should put out the candle and leave it weakly bumping into people.

holy water.

does holy water affect wraiths? i havent tried it out much, because those tricky wraiths are hard to catch! if not, maybe it should!

other haunted spooky shit.

buddy if you bring extra haunted spooky shit in from the debris field and adventure zones while the wraith is about you should be made to REGRET it if the wraith gets its grubby tendrils on it. but maybe some could also work against the wraith? what do you think?
Cool stuff, but I'd really like to see more ways for the crew to deal with wraiths. Currently it's far too easy for the wraith to sit back and poltergeist stuff, without ever manifesting. Salt lines are cool and all, but the station is huge, and without cooperation from the crew it's hard to get decent coverage.

A while back I suggested ghostbusters-style proton packs and ghost traps, maybe found in an armoury crate or floating around the debris field. Sanctified candles could be a cool idea, preventing the wraith from using its powers in a certain radius as long as it's lit.

Maybe the chaplain could get some cool exorcist powers to help deal with the wraith. Something like a *chant emote that forced any wraiths that heard it to manifest.
Make possessed bibles turn into satanic bibles. The cross becomes red and they do more brain-brute-fire damages.
Maybe wraiths could summon those npc spirits that attack you.

Give janitor a vacuum that can store things and turn spirits into ectoplasm so the crew can play ghostbusters.
(08-30-2016, 10:28 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: Maybe wraiths could summon those npc spirits that attack you.

Give janitor a vacuum that can store things and turn spirits into ectoplasm so the crew can play ghostbusters.

The addition of something like the vampire's bats for the wraith sounds like a good time. Mass panic seems to be something that wraith is really missing. It's just one target at a time, hope they get knocked down, eat their body.
Wraith definitely needs to be able to interact with objects in more advanced ways make even more creepy shit happen walls oozeing blood and  slime station pets turning hostile and becoming more demonic looking computers typing out spooky messages etc. turn the station from wacky paranoid adventures to a hellhole that makes silent hill weep with envy.
(08-30-2016, 03:09 PM)BBEG Wrote: Wraith definitely needs to be able to interact with objects in more advanced ways make even more creepy shit happen walls oozeing blood and  slime station pets turning hostile and becoming more demonic looking computers typing out spooky messages etc. turn the station from wacky paranoid adventures to a hellhole that makes silent hill weep with envy.

I think it would be fun if George reacts to the wraiths presence.

George Looks worried

George whines

George scratches at the door as if he wants to leave.

Cue someone using George as a ghost detector and winning him over with treats so he doesn't try to escape.
oh yeah. wraith should be able to make printers print out shit, or if theyre feeling really evil, jam the printer
(08-30-2016, 01:45 AM)misto Wrote: the haunted candle.

its a dang haunted candle! good thing its usually kept somewhere where it wouldnt do much damage. wraith could use it to shoot fire. spend more magic points for more and more fire. however, enough fire extinguisher blasts should put out the candle and leave it weakly bumping into people.

a spooky haunted candle should work as a flamethrower that depletes wraith points on use get in not go out
for the spirit camera i think if you manage to take a picture of someone as a wraith, you trap their soul inside of the photograph leaving them comatose whilst they are teleported to a special z-level to fight the wraith and banish it to escape

and if the chaplain is available, he should be able to get inside the photo to lend a hand
(09-03-2016, 04:01 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: for the spirit camera i think if you manage to take a picture of someone as a wraith, you trap their soul inside of the photograph leaving them comatose whilst they are teleported to a special z-level to fight the wraith and banish it to escape

and if the chaplain is available, he should be able to get inside the photo to lend a hand

I feel like the crew trying to fight an angry space ghost in his own home sounds like a better idea for a telesci zlevel then a game mode addition. (esp a mansion zlevel with secret rooms and a vaguely clue like atmosphere)

Game modes tend to stay on the station because it keeps everyone from getting bored.

Unless of course there's a brief window of time that other members of the crew can jump in the magic death portal and fight the wraith head on. It would kinda remind me of a GW2 event chain.

But then everybody would wait for the wraith to go OP because a fight in a death zlevel against a super stronk wraith sounds way more fun then a fight vs a slinky lame wraith on the station.

That said if someone thinks of a fun way to create a game mode with a crew explorable zlevel, I'd probably be for it.
i intended for photo cameras to become like a weapon against the wraith, but i am really liking how u guys are spinning it into something more. very creative!

perhaps you could re-use a modified version of the post-sol disaster round map as a secret z-level for this purpose. unfortunately, considering how many rounds go, the nightmare world station might be more hospitable and intact than the real thing sometimes.

that is all quite ambitious. i think it is more productive right now to focus on small improvements to how wraiths operate and how the crew combats them.

heres a notion - that dark purple mining ore that looks like bits of eldritch artifacts. stuff made of that stuff, or alloyed with it, should have a bonus to hurting wraiths, or to coaxing them into manifesting, or something. so, walls and floortiles made of the stuff or alloyed with it could act like permanent salt that doesnt get scuffed! ppl would have to bother mining it and forging it first, so it is not too strong. it could even be a non-guaranteed manifest, like a 50/50 chance that goes down with the more things it is alloyed with.
(09-03-2016, 08:30 AM)misto Wrote: i intended for photo cameras to become like a weapon against the wraith, but i am really liking how u guys are spinning it into something more. very creative!

perhaps you could re-use a modified version of the post-sol disaster round map as a secret z-level for this purpose. unfortunately, considering how many rounds go, the nightmare world station might be more hospitable and intact than the real thing sometimes.

that is all quite ambitious. i think it is more productive right now to focus on small improvements to how wraiths operate and how the crew combats them.

heres a notion - that dark purple mining ore that looks like bits of eldritch artifacts. stuff made of that stuff, or alloyed with it, should have a bonus to hurting wraiths, or to coaxing them into manifesting, or something. so, walls and floortiles made of the stuff or alloyed with it could act like permanent salt that doesnt get scuffed! ppl would have to bother mining it and forging it first, so it is not too strong. it could even be a non-guaranteed manifest, like a 50/50 chance that goes down with the more things it is alloyed with.

i always had an idea that if you took a picture and a ghost got caught in the picture they'd show up as an apperition of some sort on the photograph
(09-03-2016, 08:30 AM)misto Wrote: i intended for photo cameras to become like a weapon against the wraith, but i am really liking how u guys are spinning it into something more. very creative!

Give chaplain a pet rock made of the stuff so that he can forge it into a weapon of some sort if he needs to.
Koshmarite could well be used for something Spooky. I support this idea.

EDIT: Actually I basically support all these ideas. Wraith can do with being more creppy/spoopy.