Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Nitrogen Atmospherics
Right now Nitrogen doesn't do anything at all interesting in the air.

Plasma: Sets fire, carries heat well, poisons people, gets removed from air in reactions.

Oxygen: Necessary for life. Necessary for Flame. gets removed from air in reactions.

CO2: Gets created in reactions. Poisons people. Carries heat kinda well.

Nitrogen: Nothing. Oxygen without the interesting bits.

There are many directions Nitrogen could go. It could be low thermal density, high thermal density. It could react with plasma or CO2 and very high or very low temperatures and remove them from the air.

Personally, I don't really care what it gets, but I would like it to be something. Very high or low specific heat would probably be interesting, so it could be used in fire supression or for explosives. A reaction where it eats plasma at very low temperatures and makes *a lot* of Nitrogen would also be pretty interesting. 

The point is pretty simple. There is a lot of room to make atmospherics more interesting just by adding some traits to Nitrogen. Its already pretty interesting, but no reason it couldn't be more.
i guess some liquids like liquid nitrogen and liquid hydrogen could be made into the cryogenic awfulness they are irl and cause horrible cold burns when you splash them on ppl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen#Nitrogen_gas i guess the fire suppression applications are of interest to our spacefaring operations

if oxygen toxicity were introduced then it might become even more relevant to maintain good gas balance but at that point we're getting painfully simulationist
Fun fact: atmos code is an eldritch abomination that is so godawful that it's a miracle it functions as well as it does.

Fun fact 2: Tobba's working on rewriting this monstrosity.

It'd probably be best to save any changes or additions to atmos code for when the rewrite is finished.
Wait, someone is actually venturing into that dark pit? What manner of fool IS this Tobba person?
(08-30-2016, 11:31 AM)DreamCarver Wrote: Wait, someone is actually venturing into that dark pit? What manner of fool IS this Tobba person?

He's a real life code-sorceror.

He rewrote explosions, movement, and lighting too.
Well, fair enough then.

Nitrogen should get a use, but I am aware changes right now would be difficult.
Either way, ideas should be around for Tobba, so the resulting system can have more depth.
Tobba is a treasure.

Last I recall Tobba was also working on a different system for fire/interlinked sprites? Not sure what happened to that
(08-30-2016, 01:16 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Tobba is a treasure.

Last I recall Tobba was also working on a different system for fire/interlinked sprites? Not sure what happened to that

I think that ties into atmos.
(08-29-2016, 10:47 PM)RoboTek Wrote: Right now Nitrogen doesn't do anything at all interesting in the air.

Plasma: Sets fire, carries heat well, poisons people, gets removed from air in reactions.

Oxygen: Necessary for life. Necessary for Flame. gets removed from air in reactions.

There are many directions Nitrogen could go. It could be low thermal density, high thermal density. It could react with plasma or CO2 and very high or very low temperatures and remove them from the air.

Personally, I don't really care what it gets, but I would like it to be something. Very high or low specific heat would probably be interesting, so it could be used in fire supression or for explosives. A reaction where it eats plasma at very low temperatures and makes *a lot* of Nitrogen would also be pretty interesting. 

The point is pretty simple. There is a lot of room to make atmospherics more interesting just by adding some traits to Nitrogen. Its already pretty interesting, but no reason it couldn't be more.

(08-30-2016, 01:03 AM)misto Wrote: i guess some liquids like liquid nitrogen and liquid hydrogen could be made into the cryogenic awfulness they are irl and cause horrible cold burns when you splash them on ppl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen#Nitrogen_gas i guess the fire suppression applications are of interest to our spacefaring operations

if oxygen toxicity were introduced then it might become even more relevant to maintain good gas balance but at that point we're getting painfully simulationist

I've got an idea we add a way to turn nitrogen into liquid so that we can put it in flamethrowers that way they inflict an icy death rather then a fiery death.

also we could add a way to cool gases to an insane degree a Hellfreeze if you will the spear counter part to the hellburn.
(08-30-2016, 03:05 PM)BBEG Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 10:47 PM)RoboTek Wrote: Right now Nitrogen doesn't do anything at all interesting in the air.

(08-30-2016, 01:03 AM)misto Wrote: i guess some liquids like liquid nitrogen and liquid hydrogen could be made into the cryogenic awfulness they are irl and cause horrible cold burns when you splash them on ppl

I've got an idea we add a way to turn nitrogen into liquid so that we can put it in flamethrowers that way they inflict an icy death rather then a fiery death.

also we could add a way to cool gases to an insane degree a Hellfreeze if you will the spear counter part to the hellburn.

You can't really hellfreeze in the same way that you can hellburn, simply because there's a minimum temperature for all the gasses in the game.