Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
One of Us - Changelings and You
As a side note without offering an opinion on the suggestion per se: ghost drones were intended as a more general fix to this "problem" (having nothing to do for the remaining of the round besides float about).
(08-25-2016, 11:52 AM)Wire Wrote: As a side note without offering an opinion on the suggestion per se: ghost drones were intended as a more general fix to this "problem" (having nothing to do for the remaining of the round besides float about).

If i'm going to be honest if you're the type of person who likes player interaction, ghost drones are almost worse than useless. Personally i would genuinely rather be a talking handheld item (like tgs pAIs and one of the null rod forms) who can actually interact with the crew than a ghost drone.
I disagree on that point. Ghost drones can talk to each other as well as interact with the station. If you value conversation over messing with the station then being a ghost will be superior.

Linghosts wouldn't be able to hear 'free' ghosts while in the ling, otherwise it would open up a can of meta. Linghosts would be limited to talking to other linghosts in the ling, and would not be allowed back in once they opt out. It wouldn't beat the other methods of interaction - it would just give you an option to talk to a living being. Given how salty people tend to be the ling would also have to get a mute button otherwise it'd be flooded with 'u suk' comments over and over.

I'm not opposed to the idea if a) Linghosts can opt out and not come back, b) Linghosts can't hear 'free' ghosts, and c) Lings get a mute button.
I like the idea of people who get absorbed just becoming bros with the ling. The ling walks around muttering to itself about bros and friendship. Sounds like a good idea only if the people who leave the ling cannot talk to it again.
I've always liked the personal AI concept, and this is essentially that, but with highly mutagenic aliens. Seeing as how shamblers talk in a "join us"/collective narrative, this works.
While in abomination mode all the ghosts ought to be able to be heard
give changeling enhanced deadspeak sense like the chaplain has/used to have but only for people theyve eaten

also implement my old idea for new changeling objective of laying ling eggs inside hidden corpses and stashing them on station thanks in advance
(08-25-2016, 03:06 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: While in abomination mode all the ghosts ought to be able to be heard

This would be a nice touch of incredibly spooky flavor.
This is really cool, I love this idea. Maybe the mute button has some creepy flavour about the ghosts identity being absorbed into the ling.
I've always liked the idea of a sort of Twitch Plays Ling thing, something where you get multiple people having some kind of input with one character. I like this idea, I'd get to tell the Ling he's a dick, and then help him kill more people!

I know this'll never happen, but I'd love some sort of way for the Ling to use its absorbed identities for things other than disguising itself. Something like using a bunch of DNA points and an identity to create a mindslave, maybe with multiple ghosts that have full control of the character, something interesting that doesn't give an incentive to be lung.
(08-25-2016, 04:19 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-25-2016, 03:06 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: While in abomination mode all the ghosts ought to be able to be heard

Shambling Abomination screeches!

Shambling Abomination says, "lol what a bad ling"

Shambling Abomination says, "gonna run out of DNA in a bit mark my words"

Shambling Abomination says, "why was abom mode needed"

Shambling Abomination says, "my body kitchen maint PLZ BORG"

Shambling Abomination says, "HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK"
(08-25-2016, 06:59 PM)Roomba Wrote:
(08-25-2016, 04:19 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

Shambling Abomination says, "HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK"

True terror.
If it's not too much of a clusterfart maybe the victims of the shambler who are speaking in the shambler's voice should be able to fart and scream as well, with a cool down so that it's not twitch plays fart machine.

So you get 50 trying to fart and scream when the shambler steps on a bible.

Of course Shamblers victims may be counted as antags so I imagine the admins don't want to give that kind of power to people inhabiting a shambler.
(08-25-2016, 12:04 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(08-25-2016, 11:52 AM)Wire Wrote: As a side note without offering an opinion on the suggestion per se: ghost drones were intended as a more general fix to this "problem" (having nothing to do for the remaining of the round besides float about).

If i'm going to be honest if you're the type of person who likes player interaction, ghost drones are almost worse than useless. Personally i would genuinely rather be a talking handheld item (like tgs pAIs and one of the null rod forms) who can actually interact with the crew than a ghost drone.

I am STILL of the belief ghost drones should be able to communicate with ghosts somehow. As it stands, you have to rally-call for other drones (two others max, at least until the factory shits more out) before you put yourself in the queue or you will more often than not be completely alone. There's a sweet spot between "fresh and clean" and "smoking crater" for the station that's not often hit, but if it is, it'll spur people to go drone to fix it rather than build a space bar.

Basically I enjoy being able to talk to people, droning ends any conversation I have with someone unless they also go drone. frown Plus, it's not as if the drones are allowed to use ghost knowledge to metagame, since that'd involve attacking/interrupting shit in a way that would already be against the rules. Knowing where a bomb went off or something a bit earlier would be nice so I could fix the breach sucking all of the air out of the station instantaneously.
(08-25-2016, 04:37 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: This is really cool, I love this idea. Maybe the mute button has some creepy flavour about the ghosts identity being absorbed into the ling.

That's a nice touch.

Regarding other comments, I think limiting the interaction to simply observation of and communication with the ling is the route to go. That way it takes nothing away from anyone's gameplay, only adds to.

While hearing all of the ghosts in shambling form would lead to funny situations, I immediately see this being used to metagame and grief.