HoS application
Usual Character Name: Randolph Savage III

BYOND Username: Ultimate Shrek Fan
Recommended by (if applicable):
Times Available: Usually 11 am to 2 am most days. UTC -3:30

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): 
I've been playing for about 2 years now and I've noticed that with a competent head of security, the security team has a longer life-span and a better chance of stopping traitors. I've also found that it makes playing as security a lot more enjoyable, if the head of security runs a funny gimmick.

A big issue with security seems to be the fact that officers rarely communicate with each other and often try to tackle really robust traitors alone. Primarily because most rounds there is no clear leader of security which can cause some splintering of security. When there is no head of security, the captain or head of personnel usually order security around and give conflicting orders. Which, when they call each other traitors, does nothing but add confusion and sometimes splinter security. Which while good for traitors, is very bad for everyone else.

I've also noticed that when there is no Head of Security, that the security team usually just murders the traitors then calls it a day and there is no fun in that. I hate when my traitor rounds are cut short by overly murderous players or people who love to permabrig. I believe there is a lot more fun, for both security and the traitors when the traitor gets brigged for a couple minutes, has their traitor items confiscated and then released. It forces more subtle means by the traitor which makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

I would also put more emphasis on arresting vigilantes for murdering traitors. It would also be nice to have trials for traitors and sentence them to x clicks with the russian revolver or a game of poke the crusher. If they live they go free type of deal. Rounds that I've seen the Head of Security do this, it's always brought a lot of entertainment for the the spectators and even the traitor.

It would also be nice to be a HoS to get access to the armoury when there are blob rounds or during badmin rounds when arming yourself is critical. It seems like most times that there are admin rounds there aren't any heads of security around.

I also really want to get the You're Coming With Me, Dead or Alive(or whatever the proper name is) medal.

Security Experience (300 word minimum):
I seem to roll security a lot lately. I'd say every 4/10 rounds I end up playing security as of late. I'm not super robust but I can take down most traitors. I know since I've been rolling security more and more, I've been getting more robust and my abilities to take down traitors has increased. I only murder antagonists for 2 reason; they are changelings, or they are unrelenting in their murderous goals and try to kill me a couple times. 

I often solve crimes with forensics, even if I'm not a detective. I always make sure I use forensic scans on corpses for hard evidence against traitors if someone calls my arrest into question. Like I said earlier, I hate when people just outright murder traitors or permabrig them. Once the traitors are killed or off station, security seems to start getting petulant and start arresting people for really minor shit that could be solved with a fine or a ticket. Possibly even a flash and a fart.

As a security officer I always try to ask the person to stop and talk to them before I bust out the taser or stun baton. I also do my best to heal the injured person before brigging them. If the person I am arresting tries to suicide his way out of the arrest, I take them to the cloner, ask the AI to bolt it down, then brig the person when they are finished cloning. If they attempt to suicide again, I brig their corpse, then clone them afterward.
I always try to play as a fair and balanced. If a major crime happens when I'm dealing with something like a minor fight, I tell the people fighting to knock it off and that I'll be back around to check on them later then proceed to the major crime. I also make use of the security console for reasons other than setting someone to arrest. The parole feature is great, as you can let the crimer know that they are on parole for x amount of time and stop them for random searches and if contraband is found, it's back to the brig for them and an extended probation.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):
The flasher in the solitary cells are a great feature for when the person is trying to smash the window out.  It would be nice to see it added to the main brig to facilitate removing 1 person without the others in the brig escaping.  

It would also be nice to have a room dedicated for searching close to the brig.  As it stands now, most people search people in the main area of security, which if something happens that knocks you over, leaves a lot of room for the person being search to run around and be a giant pain in the ass.

The easy access to security lockers from maintenance is also a small problem.  As an antag I usually steal their lockers as you only have to break one door.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): I was accidentally banned by Heiraphont.
I don't think I've ever actually seen you play.

However, if your application is true, you are the first person I've met who ever actually used the parole feature. Kudos for that.

Gonna hold off on a yay or nay vote because I haven't actually seen you, and I'm not sure if that's just due to a server difference or if you really don't play that much.
(08-23-2016, 04:29 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I don't think I've ever actually seen you play.

However, if your application is true, you are the first person I've met who ever actually used the parole feature. Kudos for that.

Gonna hold off on a yay or nay vote because I haven't actually seen you, and I'm not sure if that's just due to a server difference or if you really don't play that much.

It might just be a server difference. I mainly play on #2 and I'm there most days. I rarely play on #1, usually only for telesci adventures or assday.
(08-23-2016, 04:29 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I don't think I've ever actually seen you play.

He's around on the Destiny quite often. 

However, since the Destiny is the RP server and doesn't really have many antagonists i can't really attest to his robusting skills. But i would like to state for the record that he is generally not shit and is always a fun guy to play a round with.
(08-23-2016, 04:35 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote:

It might just be a server difference. I mainly play on #2 and I'm there most days. I rarely play on #1, usually only for telesci adventures or assday.

That's extremely odd, because I almost exclusively play on #2, and I have not once seen you.
(08-23-2016, 05:02 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: That's extremely odd, because I almost exclusively play on #2, and I have not once seen you.

That is weird, for the last month I pretty much haven't logged off.
I've seen you as security a couple of time, and I don't think you stood out as either horrible or great, but I've never directly interacted with you. There's also a couple of points in the 'reason for application' section which seem to be contracted by how you play in-game, but I don't know if I should get specific as I haven't seen you much as security directly.
(08-23-2016, 05:23 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 05:02 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: That's extremely odd, because I almost exclusively play on #2, and I have not once seen you.

Perhaps it's a time zone thing?
(08-23-2016, 05:42 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 05:23 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 05:02 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: That's extremely odd, because I almost exclusively play on #2, and I have not once seen you.

Perhaps it's a time zone thing?

He's just 30 minutes ahead of me.
I have seen you play security, but I do not think you are ready for the hat yet. I haven't seen any evidence of the required robustness - in fact, I have unfortunately seen the opposite. 

In one particular example, you chose to secure a petty crime over a serious crime which developed right in front of you (fucking shotgun murder). This choice put the arrested person, the victim of the traitor (funny enough, he was the HoS), and of course, yourself, in peril. It showed a lack of levelheadedness that is required for the hat, and I felt it showed a lack of robustness given that you died despite not even attempting to engage the traitor. You chose the low hanging fruit, fruit of which wasn't even paying attention to you anymore due to the rapidly changing situation. I'm not even sure you were aware he was with us, despite this being common sense. You also spaced my bag which had survival gear, knowing the area in question was filled with NO2. I still don't understand that move. An HoS wouldn't do that. The best part is if you had kept my bag instead of spacing it, you would have had the O2 required to survive. I guess that's kind of funny.

All in all, that one situation, which was very recent, left me bewildered. I don't think you are horrible security, but I felt strongly enough about the situation to post this here. 

Also I can't fucking remove my vote. I miss-clicked, so I'm going to leave it at a 3.
Are you sure it was me? I don't recall arresting the HoS or spacing a bag. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a liar or anything. I have doubts it wasn't a changeling or something because I -always- have a breath mask and oxygen tank at max cap.
Yeah, I do see you a lot on the station especially at night when not a lot of the same people play as peak. I only remember first seeing you around half a year ago though.

I don't really recall you as a super robust individual, though I'll definitely be watching now since you put this application up!
(08-23-2016, 07:57 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: Are you sure it was me? I don't recall arresting the HoS or spacing a bag. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a liar or anything. I have doubts it wasn't a changeling or something because I -always- have a breath mask and oxygen tank at max cap.

You didn't arrest the HoS, he was getting shot by a shotgun guy. The traitor dragged him through a pod wormhole to the faint signal, we all followed in pursuit, and that's where the majority of the incident occurred.

To be fair, this all happened really fast. In the end, it's the only thing I remember you for. I'm sure if you keep playing, you will be involved in new and better stories. I have had fun with you on the station, and think you are a cool dude, but being an HoS is a high standard!
I've seen you around quite a bit, but not very often as sec. While I don't want to get into specifics I will say that you tend to get into personal beefs with people a lot and constantly call out people for what you consider bad playstyles - not to the point of metagrudging, but it's definitely noticeable. I haven't seen you play as sec though, so I'm not discounting the possibility that you can put all that aside, but otherwise that's not really the best attitude for a HOS to have.
(08-23-2016, 08:31 PM)Boon Yoon Wrote: You didn't arrest the HoS, he was getting shot by a shotgun guy. The traitor dragged him through a pod wormhole to the faint signal, we all followed in pursuit, and that's where the majority of the incident occurred.

To be fair, this all happened really fast. In the end, it's the only thing I remember you for. I'm sure if you keep playing, you will be involved in new and better stories. I have had fun with you on the station, and think you are a cool dude, but being an HoS is a high standard!
Ooooh right, I was doing a NO CRIME AT ALL gimmick that round and was trying to keep you arrested whilst getting you back to the station safely. I failed horribly

(08-23-2016, 08:46 PM)Roomba Wrote: I've seen you around quite a bit, but not very often as sec. While I don't want to get into specifics I will say that you tend to get into personal beefs with people a lot and constantly call out people for what you consider bad playstyles - not to the point of metagrudging, but it's definitely noticeable. I haven't seen you play as sec though, so I'm not discounting the possibility that you can put all that aside, but otherwise that's not really the best attitude for a HOS to have.

Constantly seems like a bit of a stretch. I have gotten salty with people, but nothing at all that would affect a round. Every round is a fresh start and I don't allow any grudges to affect a round, that I can guarantee.