Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Mechanic related and similar
(08-24-2016, 12:16 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 12:09 PM)Mordent Wrote: I'm against the idea of a hardhat/welding mask combination solely because of balance reasons. You make a choice between wearing one or the other at any given time. There's nothing to stop you carrying a welding mask in your pack, however - I'm pretty sure they even fit in boxes.

These already mostly exist.

Engineering space helmets have a light and protect your eyes from damage due to welders. They don't protect you from flashes, though.

Sure. I meant in an accessible/easily craftable (e.g. "smack welding mask with hardhat") way. Only antags and engineering really need either of these, anyway, and the fabricators for the engineering helmets are fairly secure. Basically, if I see non-engineering with these I frown because powergaming or likely antagonist.

Not such an issue on LLJK2, as every other staff assistant is wearing some sort of hat a few minutes in, but it still has me a bit wary.
Some things make sense logically, but run counter to gameplay. High level crafting just doesn't fit SS13's impermanent style of gameplay. You could logically cobble together all sorts of combinations that make sense but would result in an inflating arms race.

The majority's opinion seems to be 'Cog2 has too much stuff'; adding more craftables that add in survivability would add to the problem.

Space is dangerous, yo.
(08-24-2016, 12:09 PM)Mordent Wrote: Massive no to craftable spacesuits. Maintenance is already littered with firesuits that give you some space robustness, and many other suits provide some amount of protection. I'm all for making "safe" EVA fairly inaccessible.

I could get behind backpacks/satchels being added to the uniform fabricator, which is unused enough to the point where I don't think people would even notice for a while if it were added. Not so keen on belts, as part of the point of them is that they are a luxury commodity and it also reduces the number of people running around with full toolbelts - you can already just carry a toolbox if you really need to lug them around.

I'm against the idea of a hardhat/welding mask combination solely because of balance reasons. You make a choice between wearing one or the other at any given time. There's nothing to stop you carrying a welding mask in your pack, however - I'm pretty sure they even fit in boxes.

You can actually just print spacesuits from the mining fabricator north of arrivals.

http://goonhub.com/maps/cogmap2#l=210,196,1;z=1.1

#SecretsThatAren'tSecret
you can transfer the fabric out of the uniform manufacturer that is directly next to it and put it into the mining fab and print out probably dozens of space suits

qm also has a pile of fabric and cotton wads sitting in a back room and a mining fabricator that can print out dozens more

this, and pods, is part of why nobody gets arrested for breaking into EVA anymore, because theres nothing in there besides the rcd that you cant grab more easily elsewhere

robotics fabricators can be hacked to shit out flashes that make rogue borgs into a joke to kill

(08-24-2016, 12:28 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: You could logically cobble together all sorts of combinations that make sense but would result in an inflating arms race.

if ss13 frowned on arms races chemistry would have a much shorter list of floor-melting, exploding, poisonous radioactive killer shit and transfer tank valve bombing nerds wouldnt have leveled up to become canister bombing nerds

but god forbid someone let utility belts and shit be printed out of fabricators
(08-25-2016, 03:27 PM)misto Wrote: you can transfer the fabric out of the uniform manufacturer that is directly next to it and put it into the mining fab and print out probably dozens of space suits

qm also has a pile of fabric and cotton wads sitting in a back room and a mining fabricator that can print out dozens more

this, and pods, is part of why nobody gets arrested for breaking into EVA anymore, because theres nothing in there besides the rcd that you cant grab more easily elsewhere

robotics fabricators can be hacked to shit out flashes that make rogue borgs into a joke to kill

(08-24-2016, 12:28 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: You could logically cobble together all sorts of combinations that make sense but would result in an inflating arms race.

if ss13 frowned on arms races chemistry would have a much shorter list of floor-melting, exploding, poisonous radioactive killer shit and transfer tank valve bombing nerds wouldnt have leveled up to become canister bombing nerds

but god forbid someone let utility belts and shit be printed out of fabricators

I'd be okay with making utility belts a vending machine item or hackable item.

Or just include them with the crate that already gives you rubber gloves.
The arms race bit was more directed towards actual combinations, not existing items. I don't care about toolbelts because they are already all over the place. I've never been unable to find one on cog2; even on rounds with 40+ people. Basically if it's not insulated gloves you can always find it or something similar if you know where to look.

I made a mistake in saying high-end crafting, though. I meant more of a high-focus on crafting, and by crafting I mean slapping x to y. I like having interesting machines (pods, armor, etc.) to build.
I should add that insulated gloves can be really scarce... there should be a way to replenish them (if not fabricated by mechanic, or fabricator, then QM can order it) and i wont mention how many times, when i played as mechanic (on extended) in the first 5 minutes my office would be raided for gloves and analyzers! Then if i lose my gear, or get killed and robbed (or just knocked out in medbay and someone robs me, or while i'm being cloned) i cant do my job anymore! 99% of times the ones breaking into mechanics office are heads and captn, not middle or lower rank peeps (and as far as i know locked lockers cannot be hacked)

Also for what is the FANCY VIDEO CARD used? its found in the Geoff Honkingtons room, it can be scanned and mas produced by mechanic, it can be put into terminals and computers, but at best i managed to delay when it sets the machine on fire or blows it up! I honestly thought its an upgrade to VR (also why cant VR be scanned is beyond me)

Speaking of VR and holodecks... there should be more things to do in them, they are simulators after all! (like bomb testing, surgery practising, and such experimentation, heck even pod duels, and normal duels, i had a situation more than once where higher ranks steal pods from mining to go dueling)
You can order insulated gloves from QM - they come in engineering crates. Also VR already has at least three out of four of the exact things in your request list (bomb testing, pod colosseum, a thunderdome and critter gauntlet for normal duels).
You can also get spare insulated gloves from the mech outpost in the debris level.
(08-28-2016, 10:10 AM)Roomba Wrote: You can order insulated gloves from QM - they come in engineering crates. Also VR already has at least three out of four of the exact things in your request list (bomb testing, pod colosseum, a thunderdome and critter gauntlet for normal duels).

(08-28-2016, 10:41 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: You can also get spare insulated gloves from the mech outpost in the debris level.

i didnt know about bomb testing and duel stuff (if those exist why the fuck people steal pods and blow up the station then for duels)

And i dont plan to travel gods know where just to get a pair or gloves, and what when we dont have a QM or someone wiling to order the crate?
We don't want everyone to have access to insulated gloves. Those absolutely need to be limited. Not sure about (eventual) matsci, but that requires mining.

Honestly it's pretty rare to find them all gone (including those in space, not including QM), but it does occasionally happen on high-pop rounds.

-

Pod guys probably wanted to duel to the death, which is something you can't do with vr. Heads are idiots and steal your things, this happens.

-

Combine the fancy video card with george to have goku punch bradburry.
(08-28-2016, 12:44 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: And i dont plan to travel gods know where just to get a pair or gloves, and what when we dont have a QM or someone wiling to order the crate?

On LLJK1, which is where I see you playing, cargo is literally next to the mechanic's office.

If you don't have a QM, ask the CE/HoP/Captain/AI to do it. Those are the only people with default access to the mechanic's office, so there's at least one of them.

If they're not responding, there's literally one non-reinforced wall between you and cargo. No one will see it because if they're in there then they have access they should be doing their job and responding anyway.
(08-28-2016, 02:04 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 12:44 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: And i dont plan to travel gods know where just to get a pair or gloves, and what when we dont have a QM or someone wiling to order the crate?

On LLJK1, which is where I see you playing, cargo is literally next to the mechanic's office.

If you don't have a QM, ask the CE/HoP/Captain/AI to do it. Those are the only people with default access to the mechanic's office, so there's at least one of them.

If they're not responding, there's literally one non-reinforced wall between you and cargo. No one will see it because if they're in there then they have access they should be doing their job and responding anyway.

i dont need to answer what happens to me after peeps find out i been there (example i been arested and beaten for nabbing the detectives gun, to hunt down a criminal, i had all acess when there was me and only one other guy online, and i suddenly get owerbloated punishments for that. Lucky me nanofabs can now make gloves, however they are still unacessible to mechanics (not to mention i would need to go mining first to get the materials). Also i loved a map we had some days ago where emchanic could acess90% of the station from the maints and scan most of the things without bothering much anyone, i had everything scanned in half an hour, and everyone was happy!
It's been a month, but hey, let's bring this back up again.
(10-04-2016, 05:49 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: i dont need to answer what happens to me after peeps find out i been there (example i been arested and beaten for nabbing the detectives gun, to hunt down a criminal, i had all acess when there was me and only one other guy online, and i suddenly get owerbloated punishments for that.

So, to sum up the chain of events: you stole all-access, stole the detective's gun with the express reason of wanting to attack someone, and then you wonder why you got brigged for it? Do you not see why this was not okay?

If you can't get insulated gloves on LLJK1 you're doing it wrong; there's plenty of pairs in unsecured locations, or locations that are very low-traffic so if you're feeling nefarious you should be able to get into with no problem and no one any wiser. There are spare device analysers around as well, equally as insecurely stored. Heck, I think the number of accessible insulated gloves is actually too high.

If no one's in cargo and you can't get in, get your gloves, and get out without leaving any real trace then well... not having insulated gloves isn't your biggest problem. If you do get caught, you're just going to get brigged for a bit; risk vs. reward.

I think the main issue here is "I was mildly inconvenienced, and therefore I'm going to rant about it in a thread I made explicitly to make playing my favourite role easier".
Not to mention that you can craft insulated gloves in a nanofab, you spawn with a pair equipped at round start as a mechanic, there are two pairs in the mechanic's lab at round start, another two pairs (at least, depending on the RNG for item spawn on the tables) in engineering, a pair in each of the CE's personal lockers, and a few pairs in the tech outpost to boot. Soooo, what's your complaint about, Vuk?