Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Living Will
I DNR a lot, and feel bad when I see roboticists go through the trouble of making a borg only for my brain to go poof, or desperate doctors wasting their Strange Reagent. 

I think it would be awesome if we had the option to create a Living Will which would sync with hospital records. In this will you could do silly things like set your beneficiaries (default is Nanotrasen), along with documenting your desire to DNR.

This way any medical spaceman can simply check the medical records through his or her PDA, and see if reviving is something you should do. Things like the Cloning Computer could operate based on this as well. 

On the flip side, perhaps these records could be tampered with, which would be another way of preventing people from getting cloned aside from blowing up genetics.

This system could be tied in with some form of health insurance, which gives more incentives for money. Each cloning costs money. If you don't have a policy, you get a shit clone which has a chance to be a glubbering abomination. Due to your lack of policy, you probably won't even get Mannitol on your way out.
I like this idea. Honestly, aside from breaches and patho, the station needs to be a little ruder around the edges (to everyone). Corporate shenanigans and money transfer would be good, although it'd have some growing pains for people not used to their money actually mattering. This also proves a bit wonky because custom roles (say, changing your name as a gimmick) don't have a bank account to draw from, at least not associated with their actual name on their ID.

I hope I can write a will others can check and thusly have my various body parts donated to random crewmen

Altogether I would love the opportunity to actually KNOW if someone is set to DNR so I won't waste time/money/etc.
How about if health scanners scan a dead body that has DNR and a living will set, it will notify you of that in the description and provide a link for reading the will
(08-16-2016, 11:36 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about if health scanners scan a dead body that has DNR and a living will set, it will notify you of that in the description and provide a link for reading the will

A+ I like it a lot let's do it yep good mhm
Idea is a solid 5/7, would idea again.
I think Haine tried out the cloning for money thing last year and it went horribly.
(08-17-2016, 01:02 AM)zewaka Wrote: I think Haine tried out the cloning for money thing last year and it went horribly.

We could give this a go with regards to "carrot" over "stick": if you've put some money in in advance, you can get assorted buffs over serious nerfs if you haven't. Maybe something like your new genetic code being generated based on how much you've put in? Invest a lot? You'll have few, if any, negative latent mutations. Cheapskate? You'll be lucky to get any positive ones.

This doesn't penalise players who don't want to bother with it, but rewards those who do.

Personally, I think cloning is a pain enough as it is, and while we do need more things to spend cash on I'm not sure a game mechanic is the way to go here; the MD is entirely entitled to charge folks for being cloned, of course.
Cloning in general already depends on the goodwill of your fellow spaceman, already a resource in short supply. There's no need to add the additional hoop of money, a completely arbitrary resource that is for the most part entirely dependent on how long you've been on the station and can be wiped out entirely by the HOP whenever he feels like it.

Also making it harder for dead people to re-enter the game just hurts the player population as a whole. People get pissy about having their playstyle limited in any way - look how many people immediately suicide upon being borged/arrested/kidnapped.
I like the idea of DNR being an external trait rather than something only the player knows. A will would also be funny. I'd will my bank account to the clown, my butt and skull to the robutticist, and whatever is left (after looting) would go to the chef.

I'll have to pass on the money thing though. I mean I'm a puritain but I saw what happened the last time. Truth be told, when I ran geneticist for a while I always charged for cloning via those card slider things. One clone-job for the low-low price of all of your money. You can still charge, it's just optional.
Yeah, making it about player interaction rather than hard forced limits is probably for the best, nevermind the automatic surcharge thing
(08-16-2016, 11:37 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(08-16-2016, 11:36 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about if health scanners scan a dead body that has DNR and a living will set, it will notify you of that in the description and provide a link for reading the will

+1.
(08-17-2016, 10:22 AM)Sundance Wrote:
(08-16-2016, 11:37 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

+1.

+2.
Assuming the living will isn't something you can update on the fly, and thus make your living will say "the detective did it" I like this idea.
If I can will that my entire contents of my character's bank account be given to george the dog I would probably do that anytime I set DNR.
that also means you can contribute a laugh/shift the power balance on the station
like when you quit monopoly and give all your assets to the clown