Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give the HoP more stuff to do!
Right. HoP has exactly two official jobs right now: Give you an ID change, or make sure you get paid. Whereas scientists have Toxins, ArtLab, Chemistry, and TeleSci. Whereas Medbay has the OR and running around the station looking for burn victims. Whereas Mining (freaking MINING, the voted most boring job 3 years in a row by whoever) has loot crates and materials experimentation.

The reason the HoP isn't at their desk a whole lot isn't because they hate you (although that totally is a factor). It's because the job is excessively boring. So, how do we fix this? Give them more responsibilities. There must be something they can do. This is an idea brainstorming thread, so let's BRAINSTORM.
They should be able to delegate tasks to departments which get ignored so they can head over there and micromanage the shit out of them

Isn't that what HoPs do irl
since handling money is part of their job, let hop be one of the ppl who OKs fines and tickets, and they should receive notifications on qm buys and sells and other funds changes on their pda
I like all of these ideas
Also the whole "temporary pass" idea from another thread for hop, kinda

Yeah HoP does flee his desk all the time because basically 1. assistants ask for all access and cause trouble and 2. that exact same thing again, people will either ask for or steal access from you in most cases

plus all access means you can play around with telesci/debris stuff easily
Okay, the Temp Pass thing is a good idea that should be worked on. Maybe have another computer that prints passes with charges on them, or modifies your ID with a small amount of charge to open doors a certain number of times? Like, if Janitor needed into QM, print a pass/mod ID so that QM doors open exactly twice, once in, once out. These passes would not have the full access panel that the ID computer does, but most of the departments. In order to open a door, you would need to click the door with the pass in hand, to make sure that you're not wasting it. Once the pass is out of charge, throw it in the trash and go bug the HoP for a new one.

This computer could also have a pass issue history list similar to the QM console requests, so Sec can keep track of who should or shouldn't be places. Another idea: have a separate request console (riding off the QM idea) be sitting directly outside Customs, so HoP can have a queue of pass requests to respond to if they have to leave their desk!
Comparing the HoP to entire departments isn't fair. Technically the HoP oversees all civilian jobs, the station budget, and station access. This is comparable to the HoS, who oversees security, the CE, who oversees engineering and mechanics, the MD, who oversees medbay, the RD, who oversees science, and the Captain, who oversees the heads.

I like making it's job easier. I liked the temp-pass idea. Maybe allow passive ID upgrades? Allow people to request access upgrades by some console (ID insertion required, but it wouldn't have to stay there) so that the HoP (or anyone with that access) can approve of it when they eventually drop by. Once approved the card would be automatically upgraded.

Having it totally wireless (no card required) would be neat (and make sense) if traitors wouldn't give everyone chaplain access every round.
(08-15-2016, 03:58 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Comparing the HoP to entire departments isn't fair. Technically the HoP oversees all civilian jobs, the station budget, and station access. This is comparable to the HoS, who oversees security, the CE, who oversees engineering and mechanics, the MD, who oversees medbay, the RD, who oversees science, and the Captain, who oversees the heads.

The point I was trying to make with the comparison to other departments is that most other departments have a variety of things to do and reason to leave their station to do them. HoP is largely a desk job if done by the book, and after the start-of-shift rush things get boring in your office.

(08-15-2016, 03:58 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Having it totally wireless (no card required) would be neat (and make sense) if traitors wouldn't give everyone chaplain access every round.

Yeah, that would be nice. Wouldn't make as much sense, though, seeing as it takes a physical insert to change accesses on the ID computer...

What if there was a PDA app for the HoP, so they could head over to your location and slot your ID card into their PDA and fiddle with it that way, or make ID changes on the fly, so that they wouldn't have to be chained to their desk? Or maybe sending accesses via PDA somehow...?
if the hop is supposed to oversee civ jobs then maybe his office and quarters should be nearer to the civ jobs rather than at the bridge. maybe that security desk next to the owlery could be converted to his new digs and the current bridge desk could be swapped to being a sec checkpoint desk
Quote:What if there was a PDA app for the HoP, so they could head over to your location and slot your ID card into their PDA and fiddle with it that way, or make ID changes on the fly, so that they wouldn't have to be chained to their desk? Or maybe sending accesses via PDA somehow...?

This, a thousand times this.

There was another suggestion thread talking about the Hop selling tickets for the escape shuttle as well, which was pretty cool, although heads of staff are somewhat prone to dying before the shuttle docks.

Maybe there could be automated vendors that charge a rather high set price around the station, but the Hop can print tickets off his PDA or at customs for whatever price he chooses. This could lead to some amusing situations, with a mad scramble for tickets as the shuttle approaches, you know, really recreate that lovely airport feeling.

The buying an escape shuttle thread had some good ideas with what to do with the stations finances, which is the hop's area of interest.
(08-15-2016, 04:24 PM)misto Wrote: if the hop is supposed to oversee civ jobs then maybe his office and quarters should be nearer to the civ jobs rather than at the bridge. maybe that security desk next to the owlery could be converted to his new digs and the current bridge desk could be swapped to being a sec checkpoint desk

I like the idea, but making that area a sec checkpoint seems redundant on Cog2 seeing as Security HQ is right across the hall. It might work on Destiny, though. If the HoP had limited access security cams to check in on the departments to see if they're doing their jobs, that might work.

(08-15-2016, 04:33 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: There was another suggestion thread talking about the Hop selling tickets for the escape shuttle as well, which was pretty cool, although heads of staff are somewhat prone to dying before the shuttle docks.

I'm keeping tabs on that thread, pretty sure I made the post you're talking about. This is a hilarious idea and I approve wholeheartedly.
Ping the HoP PDA for passes and tickets, and once they approve it with their PDA, it'll print out of yours. 

That way they don't have to meet up with you, and the AI is freed up a bit from door requests. 

Also, maybe have a way they can give out loans this way? Someone needs some cash and pings the HoP, they approve it and get an IOU ticket that they can redeem at an atm. They'll need to pay it off in a certain time frame or their access is limited/they are added to arrest.
(08-15-2016, 06:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Ping the HoP PDA for passes and tickets, and once they approve it with their PDA, it'll print out of yours. 

That way they don't have to meet up with you, and the AI is freed up a bit from door requests. 

Also, maybe have a way they can give out loans this way? Someone needs some cash and pings the HoP, they approve it and get an IOU ticket that they can redeem at an atm. They'll need to pay it off in a certain time frame or their access is limited/they are added to arrest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and their wages are garnished
i always give all access when i play hop because W H O C A R E S

but i agree it would be nice if there were more things the hop to do since like the captain the hop is pretty much an assistant with all access except they won't get shot by security if they're in the brig
(08-15-2016, 09:28 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i always give all access when i play hop because W H O C A R E S

You are the worst kind of person.