Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ideas for a goonstation research system
(08-16-2016, 10:47 AM)BBEG Wrote: i do enjoy the thought of scientists making goofy physics defying super items/weapons out of artifacts though to keep it from being over powered we should make it so that if you fuck up the process it would do something horrible like for example eldritch artifacts would summon Cthulhu or martian artifact trigger an alien invasion and so on.

That sounds like the very definition of overpowered.
there are plenty of ways to punish scientists who fuck up making their dumb inventions. electrocutions, fires, minor explosions, radiation exposure, easy peasy

u know what i miss though? back when "mineral attractor" bad artifacts summoned meteors to hit the station. that was cute. and it wouldnt even be too bad nowadays with how meteor lag has been improved to be less nasty and how meteors generally dont burrow as deep into the station as they used to
(08-16-2016, 11:26 AM)misto Wrote: there are plenty of ways to punish scientists who fuck up making their dumb inventions. electrocutions, fires, minor explosions, radiation exposure, easy peasy

u know what i miss though? back when "mineral attractor" bad artifacts summoned meteors to hit the station. that was cute. and it wouldnt even be too bad nowadays with how meteor lag has been improved to be less nasty and how meteors generally dont burrow as deep into the station as they used to

I miss meteors that actually caused significant damage to the station. It was good for letting people know that the round had gone on for way too long so they should probably call the shuttle.

I do not, however, miss the incredibly shitty lag that old meteors caused.
Yeah meteors just aren't a disaster anymore and that kinda sucks, they should have a chance to bust through a huge chunk of the station
I think meteors don't go through very many tiles if at all, they just hit them and break. Maybe some of them should be flaming meteors that spread fire, or comets that make things slippery indoors, as an extra "fuck you".
I just want one to reach belt hell at least or the brig

Getting off topic so gonna make a new thread for meteors
Call me an fun hating nerd, but i've seen many threads on the idea's suggestion forum come and go. Requesting a new system altogether with no groundwork is literally a pipedream. There's simply no appetite for it.
(08-17-2016, 11:52 AM)Sundance Wrote: Call me an fun hating nerd, but i've seen many threads on the idea's suggestion forum come and go. Requesting a new system altogether with no groundwork is literally a pipedream. There's simply no appetite for it.
True. I feel the easiest way to get started on it would be to work within existing systems. Start with a unique workbench and maybe some recipes that require certain things like a piece of blob or a wizards staff as an ingredient to make already existing items. 

Examples: 
  • a wizard staff and phaser to make an artifact gun. 
  • Wizard staff and multitool to make a voltron
  • Ectoplasm and taser to build ghost gun
  • Ectoplasm and meson goggles for ghost goggles

Edit: Blob piece and shoes for moon shoes
I'm dicey on making the ghost gun and goggles manually. Ectoplasm is criminally easy to get if you know what you're doing. Mesons, slightly less so, but still. Afaik they're only accessible via the Void location?? Not sure
(08-17-2016, 01:04 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I'm dicey on making the ghost gun and goggles manually. Ectoplasm is criminally easy to get if you know what you're doing. Mesons, slightly less so, but still. Afaik they're only accessible via the Void location?? Not sure
I was really just spit balling things rather than straight up suggesting those should be the final combos but you get the idea
(08-17-2016, 01:11 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 01:04 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I'm dicey on making the ghost gun and goggles manually. Ectoplasm is criminally easy to get if you know what you're doing. Mesons, slightly less so, but still. Afaik they're only accessible via the Void location?? Not sure
I was really just spit balling things rather than straight up suggesting those should be the final combos but you get the idea

for what its worth the combo idea would work well witch goes back to my idea of combining 2 or more item blueprints in some kinda research machine to get a new blueprint would be the best way to go about it with more advanced equipment requiring more complex recipes.
then you just need the right materials and you can easily produce stuff like advanced eguns magnetic space suits power armor etc.

and to get new item blueprints you just have to find the item and scan it with an analyzer like how the machinic dose it
I gotta agree with sundance, making a whole new system from thin air is unlikely at best,even less so when there's so little concrete ideas about how it'll work and no coders on board. I'm more for putting more stuff around the debris field to be scanned by mechanics rather than being a simple combo of items. That being said, some of the ideas here have been great.