Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ass Day Suggestion Thread
The problem with drones is that they are capable of two things, mainly, when griff:
1. Walls. Okay, I guess. Disassemble them with another RCD, or if you don't have that, have fun spending like 20 seconds to get through each tile.
2. Breaches. Ah, yes, breaches. The things that, even when fixed promptly, render that room entirely devoid of oxygen reduce everyone to the speed of a goddamned molasses-coated slug, and can be hidden under many tiles (how many times have you missed a breach under a bar table or something?).

That first one I don't see as much as the second, and the second is absolute turbocancer as breaches are one of the most overpowered and frustrating game mechanics, having somehow gotten infinitely worse over the span they have existed. If you aren't in full spacesuit, and guess what: you probably won't be at any given time, you slow to a crawl NIGH INSTANTLY and take a great deal of time to warm up because the station itself is generally either 1. cold due to breaches, 2. boiling hot in the engine, or 3. absolutely neutral everywhere else.

Even if you aren't suffocating and taking the one kind of damage that public medi-vends do not cure (put salbutamol in the fucking things already! maybe even teporone!), you are a massive target to anyone who wants to cause you trouble. You will never fix this. Get full gear, retile everything, drag around a tank: YOU WILL NEVER FIX THIS.

And drones can just do this all the time.

EDIT: Honestly, at this point I'd suggest putting teporone injectors in all the emergency closets or something, because cold slow is one of the most paralyzing, menacing and annoying mechanics in the entire game. Don't tell me to drink coffee, either: espresso triggers an addiction that acts like a meth addiction and some roles have no bank account and thus cannot BUY coffee/hot chocolate/elsewise. If you leave the arrivals shuttle, and a single window is broken, and you ARE NOT in a suit for some reason, you're dead. Either you will suffocate or someone will come boink you with a toolbox.

Breaches fucking suck. Are they effective? Sure. Are they fun? No. They're one of the most jackshit infuriating things to ever be killed or weakened by and no matter how hard you try to fix the wasteland that results, some aspect/area of the station will ALWAYS be missing & dangerous due to atmos "features". I still like the idea of engineering goggles that can see oxygen-less tiles, considering the difference between "oxygen" and "no oxygen" is sometimes totally arbitrary square-to-square.

[/rant]

EDIT EDIT: And another thing, too! Cogmap2 feels big enough when you can move unimpeded, but when you're choking and squirming to death in one of the little hallways breaking up the departments, it sure feels a whole lot bigger when you move a tile per second! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I cool with admin shenanigans as long as they A: don't lag the fuck out of the server B: don't unreasonably screw over players and C: are fun and fair for example giving everyone a bomb is fine but spawning 50 wendigo's on top of a security officer is not cool or fun for anybody and lags the fuck out of the server
(08-13-2016, 07:10 PM)Megapaco Wrote: I want to see admins go ham and tear the place up and to have ghost drone laws enforced or all out disabled during ass day.
We did all of this. (Wait actually I misread it, I thought you said allow ghost drones to go ham, whoops)
(08-14-2016, 02:07 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: Less button pressing that turns the station into a gigantic lagfest, tia
No
(08-14-2016, 03:12 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: -understandable rant-

To be honest, at this rate, I don't think cold movement is ever going to be fixed. If it is, it'll be months and months from now, because its already been a vocal issue for months and months without resolution.
I still wanna see drones battle each other in ThunderDrone

Although it might just be more doable to have some drones build an arena in the middle of space and battle it out themselves during a regular round.

Basically battlebots powered by ghosts.
(08-14-2016, 11:08 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: I still wanna see drones battle each other in ThunderDrone

Although it might just be more doable to have some drones build an arena in the middle of space and battle it out themselves during a regular round.

Robot Wars is way better.
(08-14-2016, 03:59 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 11:08 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: I still wanna see drones battle each other in ThunderDrone

Robot Wars is way better.

We need to be able to host Real Steel boxing matches between cyborgs. Like, give broborg boxing gloves or something.
Leave drones up to player vote.

Sometimes drones are really useful when someone has overplayed a gimmick. Like when AI decided to exclusively shock doors which hampered a war between the assistants and the clowns, so basically the only person who had fun was the AI until the salty players went drone, declared war on the AI and left a human sized opening in AI's blast shields to for someone to blow a hole in the AI's core.

I get that AD drones can get boring, and sometimes the admins do need to bomb the drone factory, but sometimes they can exist as a way for players to retaliate or refocus salt into building a new fort.
(08-14-2016, 08:18 AM)Mageziya Wrote:

To be honest, at this rate, I don't think cold movement is ever going to be fixed. If it is, it'll be months and months from now, because its already been a vocal issue for months and months without resolution.

it wasn't fixed but it was made more tolerable but the new movement update broke that
(08-14-2016, 08:18 AM)Mageziya Wrote:

It's pretty annoying that it's still a issue after so much time has passed. I stopped playing after the new movement update cause it was just made tolerable only to get reverted a few days later. Cold movement pretty much killed this game for me after nearly a decade of playing. If it every gets fixed and if my PC let's me play a full game then I'll play again. Till then I'll have to settle for observing.

EDIT: I get that coders have other things to do but even when two or three vanish we still have other active ones still around. Not to mention we have normal users who fix things now. Also when I see game breaking bugs in a game last as long as this one I no longer see that as a excuse as I expect some form of quality control in any game with a active community Free or Full price. Now you can tell me to learn to code and fix it myself and sure that's a fair thing to say. But at the the end of the day I am a player and I feel if you are patient and be vocal about a issue in a game sooner or later it will get fixed. A issue such as this should have been handled sooner rather then five+ months later. So I can't help but be alittle annoyed about it and having it show in this current post. Like I said I just left when it ruined too many rounds for me and ultimately the game. I miss playing a round on goonstation I want to come back fully and play but not till this is finally fixed.

I apologize if that comes off disrespectful as that is not my intention.
destroy or at least block the fucking drone factory at the start of every round i'm sick of these stupid 1 tile breaches depressurizing everything
you can fix or even remove a shocked door, you can heal yourself, you can repair walls to some extent, but THE FUCKING ONE TILE AIR VOIDS

IM SO TIRED OF THESE HOLY SHIT

TOBBA WHEN YOUR ATMOS REWRITE IS DONE I HOPE THIS SHIT IS A THING OF THE PAST BECAUSE IT'S MISERABLE IN EVERY SINGLE ROUND

tired of running into medbay to get help and finding out oh boy, something blew up or one hole broke across the hallway and the entire thing is depressurized and cold
you should not have to get spacesuits every single round to be ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME

-FUCK-

edit: I try not to let too many things bother me but this is absolutely gut wrenchingly annoying to go from full temp to freezing instantly, tugging you into the icy claws of death before you can get to warmth/oxygen/etc. I have to deal with this shit nearly every round and I wish it would be toned down. One hole is enough to permanently fuck entire departments, accidental or intentional, and I hate that. I just want to be able to semi-reliably traverse this gigantic station! Fuck! I love Cog2. I'm learning new things about it practically every single round, little niches, nooks and crannies that are useful in a jam. But holy shit, I hate that I'm progressively associating its size with an increasingly miserable slog. frown It's just so hard to do anything when there's the smallest breach.

Worth noting: cold slow + breaches + a lack of oxygen in the arrivals shuttle/in latejoiners' bags killed so many fucking people on rounds with respawn enabled

edit2: it's understandable that this is a problem and a haywire of glitches, bandage coding, and whatnot and that atmos is in reworks at the moment, but holy shit. even changing something map-wise (more oxygen, teporone injectors) or changing arbitrary numbers (the amount/speed of cold slow etc) would make it less tooth-crackingly infuriating to play but at this point I'm nigh-suicidal whenever I notice myself slowing down (to extremely slow in about a second. you cool down so fast you can't respond to it. holy shit. HOLY SHIT!!!)

i will say however that the drones dealing with the shit-shock ai was nice
I honestly prefer the old, laggy atmos code to the current, oversimplified version that results in rooms instantly draining from breaches.
I always grab a large beaker fulla teporone and a hypospray on ass day, turns breaches into almost a non-issue whilst letting you run circles around anyone in a space suit.
Make an ass day only drone, they have no tools to fuck with the station but instead have a random weapon affixed to them so they can duel other drones/the clown.