Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add welding fuel to chemical dispensers.
(08-13-2016, 04:07 PM)misto Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 03:32 PM)TheOnlyRyan Wrote: While I find it annoying to have to hunt down welding tanks, Im going to vote no.

For 1 reason, people spamming the ever loving shit out of fuel tank bombs, throwing a welder on the floor and pulling it ontop, run off, wait for boom and everyone within 50 tiles to implode into fire, retrieve tank, fill up at bar dispenser and repeat.

Nah, Its bad enough as it is.

make it so using the welding tank as a bomb actually destroys the tank rather than merely emptying it out

^This

I don't know why it doesn't do this already, it only makes sense.
(08-13-2016, 08:28 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 08:19 AM)rulib Wrote: If there is a circlejerk recipe so dangerous that making it SLIGHTLY more convenient tips some balance scale, that recipe is probably an issue!

It's not a recipe.

Well actually, I guess it sort of is a recipe, but it's not the recipe itself so much as an effect caused during the production of said recipe that might lag the station to hell and back. 

Currently it's a non-issue because it's very hard to rapidly trigger the reaction, but if you put welding fuel in the chem dispenser, you could make it at ridiculously fast speeds with the chem list saving function.

Source: I managed to freeze a testing server by doing exactly what I just described.
Preserving a buggy circlejerk effect that few players will ever see probably shouldn't outweigh making a quality of life and interdepartmental collaboration tweak that encourages exactly the kind of gameplay we often complain about as being too rare to begin with.
(08-13-2016, 05:00 PM)rulib Wrote: Preserving a buggy circlejerk effect that few players will ever see probably shouldn't outweigh making a quality of life and interdepartmental collaboration tweak that encourages exactly the kind of gameplay we often complain about as being too rare to begin with.

Christ, I'm trying not to make this obvious.

Like, it's not even really secret.

Edit: as far as I know, it's not possible to fix due to some shit with byond, unless I'm thinking of something else.
I really don't care one way or another. welding fuel is easy to get and guess what? plasma ignites at 374K. and it comes straight from the dispenser. so yeah it adds an extra step but it is a very easy step. I'd be fine with fuel tanks being destroyed when blown up but that seems to happen with most hellchem mixes regardless.
Please don't add welding fuel into the chemical dispensers as this could easily be used to mass-spam reactions where welding fuel would detonate, this is as easy as mixing phlog + welding fuel, or even activating pyrosium.
make the chem dispensers more sensitive to damage to prevent detonation mass spam
The alternative would be to make the welders run on something else like the gas plasma or an acetylene reagent, thus the tanks would still be flammable, and rename the welding fuel into into an appropriate light hydrocarbon that is still flammable but doesn't make giant comedy fireballs that is retained for use as an appropriate chemical precursor.

Like we have two requirements for welding fuel right now: serve as a stand-in for light hydrocarbons in chemistry, and make the tanks explode like bombs.

Hell, maybe the tanks explode TOO much.
One of the ways I was fuelbombing people as drone on Ass Day was dragging a fuel tank and lighting tiny piece of paper on fire underneath it with a welder, causing the whole thing to explode. Those things go off like fireworks at the smallest thing.
(08-13-2016, 04:02 PM)Dions Wrote: this.

Also seriously you don't feel satisfaction from gathering ingredients and combining them all in your hands? I thought having to track down welding fuel tanks was cool as hell, because it made WF a commodity, makes it feel like a big deal what you're doing, and makes you stop to mix stuff up like a real mad scientist.

I wish plasma got the same treatment honestly, its supposed to be this big deal substance, the whole damn reason there's a space station out there, and you can just fart neverending servings of the stuff out of a cheapo glorified soda fountain, right out of the box. Hell even the barman gets an unlimited source of what amounts to humanity's most precious resource.

I'd like it a lot if instead of dispensing stuff directly into beakers, the chem dispensers were closets full of reagent bottles. Redesign chemistry to give you actual counter space to work with, and get all the stuff you need together before starting. Make chemistry more physical and involved, imo.
(08-14-2016, 01:01 PM)CameronWoof Wrote: I'd like it a lot if instead of dispensing stuff directly into beakers, the chem dispensers were closets full of reagent bottles. Redesign chemistry to give you actual counter space to work with, and get all the stuff you need together before starting. Make chemistry more physical and involved, imo.

Should just turn the chem dispensers into machines that has a built in system similar to the RCD, you insert special matter cards that can be used to create certain chems, if you run out you need to get cargo to order new ones, or a fabricator to make some.

This would then in turn also allow a future materials rewrite, and various cool telescience things to fuck around with this.