Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
add experimental magnetic wave suits for research
rresearch could be researching applied magnetics resulting in the repel suit and the draw suit

wearing the repel suit and running into people would cause you to be repelled and have shit sent flying at you and not the person you ran into

the person that gets walked into should get sent flying but to prevent grief i think that it could work if it were toned down

the draw suit would make objects cling to you and may have the unforunate sideaffect of you getting hit over the head,stabbed by scissor, etc
I'm honestly surprised we don't have a kind of Research and Development branch of Science that just makes cool shit and upgrades for current items.
From the looks of Cogmap2 concepts, we were supposed to get a science-y side to materials with a particle accelerator thingy.

That said, artlab actually has the foundations for material science shenanigans inside it. I didn't notice it until the other day.
This seems like it could be pretty funny. Science could do with some more inexplicable inventions & scientific chicanery.
As long as it looks like one of these:

[Image: 2HJFpCy.jpg]
Can science please get a portable railgun then?

I mean I know it's probably OP in concept, and impractical, but I kinda wanna see dudes shoot down borgs with flaming masses of metal.

also using two repel suits to high five should result in a medal
isnt this just the magnetic aura random event thing in suit form

i think a gun or chemical or mutation or disease that causes the magnetic auras in people you shoot/inject/infect with it would be cooler than suits
Yeah, but you have to mostly willingly put on a suit for experimentation
If you can shoot enough people with a Magic Magnetic Gun, and they bump into each other, the server fucking dies
need I remind you of what happened with the bar full of magnetized shitty bills absolutely annihilating lljk#2
if its a gun or superpower or what have you, then youre only zapping like a few people with it until you need to reload or recharge or cooldown the power, and the effect wears off eventually, which is a zillion times less server-killing than the current random event which makes every person and monkey and npc magnetized and bumping everywhere all at once
OP  yet impractical in use is exactly how I'd imagine R&D stuff to be

Building a suit like this should require doing field work during the natural event and scanning people's fields. 

Actually, having you study events would be great. Like those walls that appear mid round that divide the station to build force field dissipaters
(08-11-2016, 07:01 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'm honestly surprised we don't have a kind of Research and Development branch of Science that just makes cool shit and upgrades for current items.

there should be a Research and Development branch of science it would give non traitor scientists something to do that would actually help the station and give traitor scientists more variety in terms of ways to horribly fuck up the station.
(08-13-2016, 09:27 AM)BBEG Wrote:
(08-11-2016, 07:01 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'm honestly surprised we don't have a kind of Research and Development branch of Science that just makes cool shit and upgrades for current items.

there should be a Research and Development branch of science it would give non traitor scientists something to do that would actually help the station and give traitor scientists more variety in terms of ways to horribly fuck up the station.

I've always been jealous of the vast R&D departments that other servers have.
In fairness, "vast R&D department" usually translates to "a magic tech box that you loot everything to shove into it so it can poop out things that you will never possibly be able to make without the cooperation of mining, which does not ever happen". Like, no, seriously, you scan useful and valuable objects (DESTROYING THEM IN THE PROCESS) to increase tech levels kind of arbitrarily, and getting the best things is impossible without some hilarious metashit running to every corner of the station to loot your specific order of objects since you can actually get the order wrong.

Besides, we already have a crafting system and dispensers. If we implemented a research system, maybe make it less annoyingly destructive/obstructive.
(08-13-2016, 02:47 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: In fairness, "vast R&D department" usually translates to "a magic tech box that you loot everything to shove into it so it can poop out things that you will never possibly be able to make without the cooperation of mining, which does not ever happen". Like, no, seriously, you scan useful and valuable objects (DESTROYING THEM IN THE PROCESS) to increase tech levels kind of arbitrarily, and getting the best things is impossible without some hilarious metashit running to every corner of the station to loot your specific order of objects since you can actually get the order wrong.

Besides, we already have a crafting system and dispensers. If we implemented a research system, maybe make it less annoyingly destructive/obstructive.

simple we make it so we already have some base stuff in the database at the start and we simply play around and run some tests to discover new tech we could also add artifact research in by deconstructing them and then applying there effects to different tech

and maybe make it semi-random as to what effects produce what tech to cut back on power gaming
I think this thread has been slightly derailed, maybe we should make a new one for discussing ideas about a research system?